Flying travelers FYI

lorenzo

Vermont went to Enhanced licenses 5 or more years ago, now they have been offering the "real ID" for a couple years. have to go to Denver in November, will see how mine works out, its weird, all black and white, much poorer quality photo id than my last one. 

59 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

39B1D7FA-D8E5-47CF-B616-A04F0838DF03.thumb.jpeg.bf6efa39dd78baaf401c0db83f6cf846.jpeg

it’s about time . Finally 

About time? Getting my license renewed was already a pain. Now I gotta take more info to renew a license I've had for nearly 40 years. Be terrible if you had to do all that to vote wouldn't it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 1466fan said:

About time? Getting my license renewed was already a pain. Now I gotta take more info to renew a license I've had for nearly 40 years. Be terrible if you had to do all that to vote wouldn't it. 

If you don’t fly you don’t need enhanced id. If you have a valid passport you don’t need enhanced license. 

But you can vote by mail with no valid id....

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Will get mine next month and the wife already has hers. Missouri's license were not compliant until a year or two ago. A little extra paperwork for men but more for the women.

Wife had been part time help at the recorders office and women were coming to get copies of wedding licenses some of them of course for numerous marriages. Then they found out they had to get those from the state and counties they got married in.  Really pissed then

1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

Going to be a lot folks that can't fly hopefully there will be less scumbags on the plane now 

Man I don’t know. There sure seems to be a lot more incidents recently of “scumbags” beating up flight attendants and fighting on airplanes. How did they get on board to begin with? Did they have a star on their ID? It seems you don’t have to do anything special to earn a star on your ID. 

I have a star on my TX driver’s license, and I didn’t have to do anything to “earn” it. The star was automatically  on my new license when I got my new one due to renewal. What good is the ID star on your ID if you had to do nothing to earn it as far as going through some sort of check or test? Apparently these idiots causing trouble on planes have these stars on their ID’s otherwise how were they permitted to get on the planes if the star has been required since October of 2020? I don’t get it. 

11 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Real id not required for flying until May3 2023. 

But in the pic above it says starting October 1, 2020? 

• Like 2

With respect to voter ID.  I have had a passport for all of my adult life.  I carry that or my passport card almost all the time as a second form of ID.  I also have a government issued ID as a military spouse and had a CAC card when I was working for the air force.

I fail to understand people that can't figure out how to get 1 valid ID when I had at least 4 versions of acceptable ID.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Vermont went to Enhanced licenses 5 or more years ago, now they have been offering the "real ID" for a couple years. have to go to Denver in November, will see how mine works out, its weird, all black and white, much poorer quality photo id than my last one. 

It dosent matter how good the picture is , it’s a tracking chip built in that their using . 

20 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

I have had a passport for all of my adult life.  I carry that or my passport card almost all the time as a second form of ID.

Smart thinking I do the same.

I keep my passport or passport card in another location than my Real ID when I travel.

That way if you loose one you have a back up to get on the plane to get home other wise your hosed.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

It dosent matter how good the picture is , it’s a tracking chip built in that their using . 

I thought I already had that from my covid vaccine ?

• Haha 4

Didn't some states fight the real ID requirement and not require it to board? I believe Louisiana was one state that a couple years ago said they weren't going to require Real ID to fly. I had a Louisiana ID up until last year before I got an Arkansas id and I flew several places for work without problems. I'm wanting to say I heard it was state by state decision but encouraged. I could be wrong though.

4 minutes ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

Didn't some states fight the real ID requirement and not require it to board? I believe Louisiana was one state that a couple years ago said they weren't going to require Real ID to fly. I had a Louisiana ID up until last year before I got an Arkansas id and I flew several places for work without problems. I'm wanting to say I heard it was state by state decision but encouraged. I could be wrong though.

It is becoming mandatory as the TSA is federal.  State licenses that do not comply will not be accepted.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rick G. said:

Man I don’t know. There sure seems to be a lot more incidents recently of “scumbags” beating up flight attendants and fighting on airplanes. How did they get on board to begin with? Did they have a star on their ID? It seems you don’t have to do anything special to earn a star on your ID. 

I have a star on my TX driver’s license, and I didn’t have to do anything to “earn” it. The star was automatically  on my new license when I got my new one due to renewal. What good is the ID star on your ID if you had to do nothing to earn it as far as going through some sort of check or test? Apparently these idiots causing trouble on planes have these stars on their ID’s otherwise how were they permitted to get on the planes if the star has been required since October of 2020? I don’t get it. 

The only thing that star means is that your state is in compliance with the real ID act  and now your information has been uploaded to the national data base, verses just your state data base. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

Oh ok. It may be my ignorance but I don't see how it makes flying any safer.

F6C873F0-E933-4D02-A5EF-7691E91F006F.thumb.jpeg.b2e2bbf6652c3bbf7816823b672fb635.jpeg

Ok , go to this web sight ,( USA TODAY article). In my above picture .

I can’t get it to copy and paste.

Tells about the 19 terrorist of 911 having a combined 63 differant drives license’s and state ID’s

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I can understand that Lorenzo, just that criminals don't care about laws already and in a terrorist situation if they have any funding at all getting fake documents such as birth certificate, ss card, immigration papers or a falsified passport I would think would be one of the smaller problems that they would need to deal with. Or faking another countries paperwork that would be harder for TSA to check the validity of. Such as a lot of 3rd world countries that don't have the record keeping capabilities like the US, Canada, EU, etc. As far as the 911 terrorist, it's harder to get all those ID's legitimately, if they were indeed real & legitimate, now that all 50 states are linked concerning driver's license or state ID's. When I got an Arkansas ID for banking paperwork for some land I'm buying, the AR DMV pulled up my LA driver's license also in a check they ran and told me I would have to swap my driver's license as well to Arkansas and turn in my Louisiana license since having an Arkansas ID and LA driver's license could be used to illegally buy instate hunting license and etc. I'm not saying REAL ID is a bad idea or anything like that, just that I don't see that in itself being much of a deterrent. I would be willing to bet all the necessary paperwork needed to get a Real ID or passport could be bought off the dark web within 30 minutes.

• Like 3

We have enhanced DL plus our medical cards are combined with that also, the biggie for us (mom and I) is the NEXUS card, every five years you renew and the questions are asked the same every time, no check marks and your done, one screwup and your done, we don’t fly but the airport access is faster with the card also.

• Like 1