1980 tri stripe 986

New to IH

Most likely was ordered that way doubt it was changed that drastically lowers the value too

Welcome aboard?  like all said above probably ordered that way. Here In Michigan they were probably 99% ordered with a TA.

The T/A deletes and T/As that were removed later can be found more often depending where you are in the country. It seems that the mid west loved having TA's for the most part and down south more often liked them without since it was one less thing that could fail or give you problems.. They could be ordered from the factory without a T/A and it won't have a slot on the left side of the dash for the handle. I have a 1086 like that. Some have had the TA removed after they went out or failed and it will more than likely have the handle & TA linkage removed  but the dash will still have the slot.

If I'm not mistaken, the t/a delete kit costs nearly as much as it would cost to just replace the t/a itself. It takes just as much labor also it install it.

2 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

If I'm not mistaken, the t/a delete kit costs nearly as much as it would cost to just replace the t/a itself. It takes just as much labor also it install it.

You only install the delete kit once......

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Put a new ta one of our 1456's over 25 years ago and it is still going strong. No way would I sacrifice a ta for a delete. After that long it doesn't owe me anything.

• Like 2

I feel the same way. Wouldn't own a ta delete. Have never installed a ta in one of our own tractors, only for customers. Had two 706's,806, two 966's, 1466, and 986. Still have 986 and all had original ta's. I know the 806 had over 11,000 hours when we sold it. The others had several thousand hours. The 986 has 7100 hours now. The only tranny we had to rebuild for ourselves is our 5088 at 3800 hours.  By the way  welcome to the forum, new to IH?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

When we did one of ours it wasn't much cheaper than the cheapest ta available at the time. We never used the ta before, and it sure shifts alot nicer with the delete. Much nicer on the loader.

You guys that can't stand ta deletes, just send them my way and I will gladly take them away, much cheaper of course cause they're worthless, right? Hahaha. Seriously though we got both around here and others are the same. TA or not, it don't make much difference for what those tractors are doing anymore here. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jass1660 said:

As many hours as these tractors are used these days, you only install the TA kit once too...

If it's got a TA, good. If it doesn't, good. I would fix either one back the way it was "born." Having a TA is nice, and then again I could learn to live without one.

Around here it doesn't make much difference in value. They go nuts over anything red or green at auctions.

• Like 1

Ok stupid question time about TA’s. All I ever hear is don’t try to pull start a TA tractor, or a TA tractor won’t pull start.

BUT- Does it harm or damage anything anything in the TA if someone does attempt to pull start one? I never hear anything about it causing damage, only that it can’t be done. 

It seemed T/A troubles were more prevalent in the 86 series. I think a sticky cable doomed a lot of them. They should have had the electric solenoid kits on from the start.

12 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Put a new ta one of our 1456's over 25 years ago and it is still going strong. No way would I sacrifice a ta for a delete. After that long it doesn't owe me anything.

It must have an Allied or Aer Vac TA in it. The rebuilt TA's available from anyone now don't seem to hold up ;like the ones those 2 companies had at the time. 

I had to split a 1456 a few years back for a clutch and could not get it to roll apart. I ended up taking the bolts out of the pressure plate and the splines were badly worn on the TA input shaft and had a hook on the front side so wouldn't pull out of the clutch disc. The TA still worked like it should have. The owner didn't recall ever replacing it, and it was on feed wagon duty for years. 

Dad had a Hy Capacity spragless TA in his 856 Custom . One of the first in the area.  Installed at Custer Implement in Tama, IA.  The guys from Hy Capacity would come interview Dad about the TA. See how it was holding up.  I don't know how many hours the original TA had, but the tractor had over 12,000 hours when we sold it in 1995.

On 6/13/2021 at 8:28 PM, ksfarmdude said:

Most likely was ordered that way doubt it was changed that drastically lowers the value too

I'm in the middle of southern TA haters and northern TA lovers. In my area a TA delete doesn't effect value at all. There will be some who pass on one that want it for baling hay but for every one guy there's another that is glad it's gone. My 986 had it deleted when I bought it. Can't say I ever couldn't get by without it, however I do use mine alot especially mowing and baling hay. My 656,756, 1086 and 1486 all have good t/a's.  My point is just depends on the area on value. 

• Like 4

On 6/10/2021 at 9:42 PM, New to IH said:

I just purchased a late 1980 tri stripe 986 in great shape.  It does not have a TA.   Was this an option without the TA?   

We like pictures. Like alot....

• Like 1

Most of the T/A delete tractors I've seen are the wheatland versions and occasionally the row crop models I'd never go for a T/A delete model for what I'd use them for  

The regional TA debate is an interesting one.  Here in the upper midwest, the TA was nice option to have for the work at hand.  Tractors here were likely driven by family members or a single trusted hired man, so proper use was more likely.  In the south, lots of hired labor led to the mistreatment of the TA.  So, a lower cost machine without the torque to be destroyed made more sense.  Lots of southern machines also had the TA handle removed.  Problem solved.

On our farm, the TA made a smaller tractor bigger; when you could use the TA on hills when necessary. We pulled Implements too big for the tractor and the TA was valuable in tough spots or up hill.  

5 hours ago, Rick G. said:

Ok stupid question time about TA’s. All I ever hear is don’t try to pull start a TA tractor, or a TA tractor won’t pull start.

BUT- Does it harm or damage anything anything in the TA if someone does attempt to pull start one? I never hear anything about it causing damage, only that it can’t be done. 

That's another popular TA "myth." A mechanical TA tractor will pull/pop start just fine in direct drive. It won't pull start in low/TA because of the one-way clutch that only grabs when being powered from the "front."

The hydraulic TA requires hydraulic pressure to drive on the direct drive side, and will just freewheel if the tractor is not running. Even though the TA drives through a mechanical sprag on the low side, it has the same freewheeling problem as a mechanical TA without hydraulic pressure. It's more of a "don't waste your time trying" than a "don't try because you'll damage something." Common sense will tell you that it's not working, and it's time to stop and get the jumper cables long before you cause any significant damage, if you even can.

Honestly I dont see a lot if TA problems now.  Since I started doing them myself back in 2009 I havent had one come back.  I use the super duty AG parts unit.  

Our 806 was the first one I did.  It sits in the square baler all summer running low 3 TA most of the time and holding back large loads, still works like the day it was put in.  

5 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Honestly I dont see a lot if TA problems now.  Since I started doing them myself back in 2009 I havent had one come back.  I use the super duty AG parts unit.  

Our 806 was the first one I did.  It sits in the square baler all summer running low 3 TA most of the time and holding back large loads, still works like the day it was put in.  

Are the AG parts super duty any more significant than say a hy capacity HD? I'm sure this has been covered but my 756 is going to one somewhat soon. I've only slipped it once in low, but since then I've tried to be a little nicer to it until I can replace it. Still use it daily, just not under a real hard pull. I was loaded pulling a wagon up a large hill and really had the beans poured to her. Shouldn't of been an issue but it did slip. Clutch was brand new.