886 Clicking in transmission

bmk

I noticed a clicking noise in transmission pulling a load of hay up a hill.  I had noticed it before just a little while backing up but never going forward.  Now its doing it going forward, the higher gear, the better you can hear it.   We thank the clicking is coming from the range transmission.  Anything we might could check to help pinpoint the problem .

My TA shifts like it should going up, but shifting down it hesitates and it will not hold back when going down a grade.  I have adjusted it  according to the manual i got.   I may have 2 different problems.  Any help would be apprecated.

call me stupid but I was told growing up to NEVER use a TA to hold back/slow down with - they whine and howl if you tried that and it would tear them out in short order - mind you that was on our old 400 and I know there is some kind of difference in those than the ones on the bigger tractors but I always used that principal, always direct drive and only use it under a load and laboring and needs some relief - ive never had a problem with any of them on anything i have used for others or owned 

• Like 1

I think the clicking is a couple teeth pulled off the gear by park pawl. Hesitation going into TA is slipping sprag. Slipping sprag has burned out lockup clutch. Could be wrong on all of it but thats what I think.

Sounds to me like you have a tooth out of the park lock gear in the range transmission . The noise will be more prominent in reverse .

To investigate it you will have to remove the aux fuel tank if the teactor is equipped with with one , and remove the side cover on the range trans and you should be able to see the range gears and inspect 

• Like 1

Also check your TA spool linkage adjustment and make sure the spool in make the full travel when TA is shifted

8 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

call me stupid but I was told growing up to NEVER use a TA to hold back/slow down with - they whine and howl if you tried that and it would tear them out in short order - mind you that was on our old 400 and I know there is some kind of difference in those than the ones on the bigger tractors but I always used that principal, always direct drive and only use it under a load and laboring and needs some relief - ive never had a problem with any of them on anything i have used for others or owned 

If it's anything, it's misinformation. There are a lot of long-running myths about TAs that will simply never die. The mechanical TA in your 400 is a completely different animal than the hydraulic TA in an 886, and has completely different rules.

The hydraulic TA can be used as an extra gear in almost any situation. Pull the lever back and run all day. There is no detrimental effect. It's meant to be used as a 2-speed powershift. Not using it will not extend the life of the TA. The only not using it that will extend the life any is parking the tractor in a building and leaving it sit.

I say almost any situation because there is one that's hard on any power shift. It's not don't "hold back" a load, it's don't "slow down" a load. A properly installed, properly working TA holds a load back just fine. It's when you are being pushed down a hill by a heavy load, that you DO NOT want to pull that lever back. I know people say they do it all the time, but that's when you get the whine and howl. It doesn't sound healthy. Just from hearing the noise one time, your common sense will kick in and tell you not to do that anymore.

If you pull the TA lever on your 400 to slow down a road, you're going for a RIDE. There is absolutely no holdback whatsoever on the mechanical TA. Should you be in a low enough gear and you pull the TA, and the tractor takes off on you, like you're trying to creep down a steep hill with a heavy load, the TA can get spinning so fast that it comes apart.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

If it's anything, it's misinformation. There are a lot of long-running myths about TAs that will simply never die. The mechanical TA in your 400 is a completely different animal than the hydraulic TA in an 886, and has completely different rules.

The hydraulic TA can be used as an extra gear in almost any situation. Pull the lever back and run all day. There is no detrimental effect. It's meant to be used as a 2-speed powershift. Not using it will not extend the life of the TA. The only not using it that will extend the life any is parking the tractor in a building and leaving it sit.

I say almost any situation because there is one that's hard on any power shift. It's not don't "hold back" a load, it's don't "slow down" a load. A properly installed, properly working TA holds a load back just fine. It's when you are being pushed down a hill by a heavy load, that you DO NOT want to pull that lever back. I know people say they do it all the time, but that's when you get the whine and howl. It doesn't sound healthy. Just from hearing the noise one time, your common sense will kick in and tell you not to do that anymore.

If you pull the TA lever on your 400 to slow down a road, you're going for a RIDE. There is absolutely no holdback whatsoever on the mechanical TA. Should you be in a low enough gear and you pull the TA, and the tractor takes off on you, like you're trying to creep down a steep hill with a heavy load, the TA can get spinning so fast that it comes apart.

yes sir, agreed you can grenade a 400 mechanical type, they are like a ford select-o-speed they will run away on a steep hill in certain gears - good to know the hydraulic units are different and can be used to keep things at a slow pace. I could see the foolishness in going down a hill with something heaving behind you and slamming the lever hoping it slows you down. The other notable is these tractors can be dangerous, u better hope going up a hill with a load on you have enough gear because u kill it and you have NOTHING - no steering, no brakes, may as well jump ship and watch the show you might get killed.