Dad had a Lincoln

Steve C.

Once upon a time, Dad had an early '70s Lincoln land yacht. 

He left it parked in the driveway with the keys in it when he got home one night.  That may sound strange to some of you whipper snappers, but it was common practice in those days.  The house also went unlocked most of the time.

Anyway, he went out next morning and it was gone.  Turns out four young guys (with pretty poor judgement) from a neighboring town stole several vehicles that night, one at a time, for a joy ride, When one got low on gas, they ditched it for another one.

After several hours and a spotter plane, the MSHP finally caught up with them outside of St. Joe, about 40 miles from home.  A friend of mine just happened to drive by in time to snap a couple of pics of the perps and their captor.  Funny thing is, he didn't know it was Dad's car till later, when he gave the pics to Mom and Dad.  The way that old pig handled (it was about like driving a cloud), it's a miracle they didn't pile it up on the back roads.

Stolen Lincoln 1.jpg

Stolen Lincoln 2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

That cop looks like a large man.

He was.  He actually pulled me over once - I was in a hurry to pick up a part for my grinder mixer, trying to get to the dealer before closing time, popped over a hill doing 67 and he nailed me as we met.  As I sat in his car, I explained why I was in a hurry, and asked if we could speed things up.  He said "sure, I can mail you the ticket",  so off I went.  He didn't even turn around and follow me.  A really decent guy.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

That cop looks like a large man.

“ I AM Sherrif Branford”

• Haha 3

I guess it was fun while it lasted - great cruisers - regarding leaving keys in car, we always left keys in cars back then, dad always said i woudl rather have them take a vehicle and leave than come in the house and bother us

• Like 3

Had a customer pass in early 80s.

His widow asked me to find a buyer for his 78 Town Car. 4k miles.

My mom always said before she died she wanted a Lincoln. Dunno why.

Dad bought it.

They drove it a year then sold to my BIL who liked to impress.

BIL and sister drove the wheels off it.

Bil brought it to me to repaint it.

Lots of bolted on chrome etc.

Worked on that lead sled a month.

Based/cleared/buffed that thing.

Chased him for years for my money.

Claimed he figured I would do it as a favor for my sister.

POS

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, MTO said:

Had a customer pass in early 80s.

His widow asked me to find a buyer for his 78 Town Car. 4k miles.

My mom always said before she died she wanted a Lincoln. Dunno why.

Dad bought it.

They drove it a year then sold to my BIL who liked to impress.

BIL and sister drove the wheels off it.

Bil brought it to me to repaint it.

Lots of bolted on chrome etc.

Worked on that lead sled a month.

Based/cleared/buffed that thing.

Chased him for years for my money.

Claimed he figured I would do it as a favor for my sister.

POS

Ain't family great? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

Those pictures are priceless 

I've told the story before but didn't know where the pictures were.  Mom recently found them, so I was finally able to scan them.  Glad they turned up.

• Thanks 2

If you look closely at the first pic, you can see his .357 is holstered.  You can just make out the fore end on his 12 gauge pump in his left hand, and his mike in his right.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Ain't family great? 

He was just one of many losers my sisters married.

My 71 yr old sis remarried last year.

He pays me for any service I do for him and leaves $40 tip on my desk regardless.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

“ I AM Sherrif Branford”

I was thinking of the scene where sheriff Buford T Justice caught those boys stripping that car, "now you boys just stay right here till one of my associates arrive".

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, bkorth said:

I was thinking of the scene where sheriff Buford T Justice caught those boys stripping that car, "now you boys just stay right here till one of my associates arrive".

“ that’s an attention getter”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vtfireman85 said:

“ that’s an attention getter”

All I wanted was a Diablo sandwich and a Dr Pepper.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That trooper meant business! On the ground and spread em!

Talk about authority!  Look at all the traffic going around them while they are kissin the concrete! I love it!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

I guess it was fun while it lasted - great cruisers - regarding leaving keys in car, we always left keys in cars back then, dad always said i woudl rather have them take a vehicle and leave than come in the house and bother us

They covered parts of Harrison, Worth, Gentry, Clinton, Dekalb, and Buchanan counties that night, IIRC.

3 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

They covered parts of Harrison, Worth, Gentry, Clinton, Dekalb, and Buchanan counties that night, IIRC.

probably drove right by our house, our place i grew up is in dekalb - if they would have run out of gas they could have taken one of our vehicles LOL 

22 minutes ago, Cool1566 said:

That trooper meant business! On the ground and spread em!

Talk about authority!  Look at all the traffic going around them while they are kissin the concrete! I love it!

That was when people even criminals obeyed commands from lawmen. Oldest son was so happy last weekend, Along I-70 he saw one runner from the cops do the "dead fish" as he called it when the tazer hit him. He was laughing so hard he barely go through the story.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

I still leave keys in my vehicles and my front door is never locked. All my neighbors I’m related to do the same

That's great.  We're a little too close to the city to get away with that any more.  We (our local counties) occasionally get middle of the night visitors from some of the more "urban" areas north of us.

3 hours ago, bkorth said:

Don’t go home. Don’t go get something to eat. And don’t play with yourself. It wouldn’t look good on my highway. You can think about it but don’t do it. 

• Haha 4

Did you ever know who the thieves were? Was this their one time boyz will be boyz experience, or did they go on to bigger and better. I remember trying my darndest in the early 60s to emulate a sh*trat culture, but my mother wouldn’t have anything to do with that and make me rue the day I tried to, great story.

• Like 2

That is indeed a large man, he reminds me of a Kansas highway patrol that i met in the mid 80's he clocked me doing 70 on I-70 heading west. I was driving an 86 chevy 3500 and when he walked up to the window all i could see was his chest,i am 6' 4" guessing he had to be 6' 8" or better. Buddy asked me if i was going to pay the ticket or whip his Azz, we still laugh about it, oh and the ticket was 10$.

• Haha 1