IH school bus conversion??

dannyredfan

Well just bought a 2001, 66 passenger bus lol.   DT.466 with Alison auto. Wanting to convert it to a camper  nothing real fancy  but nice and functional 

Any ideas 

• Like 1

Put a ramp on the back for a UTV/golf cart . Paint it red with a black stripe then take it to the next Redpower Roundup .....

Change the bus # to something like 1568 or 1066 

• Like 9

Ive been stewing on this myself, i plan on a pellet fueled rocket stove, going to take the appliances out of my current camper, and build a trailer to haul my  jeep/wife's 4 runner. I was going to call it the “cool bus”, my wife muttered something about “fool bus” and uncle mark said something about “short bus” if you don’t mind me asking, where did you find it and what did it go for? Miles? Rust condition? 
your living my dream man, please keep updating this! 
IMO, Murphy beds are a must to keep isles open 

i bid a couple times on one with a wheelchair lift, thought that could be handy, wasn't meant to be. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

YouTube has a lot of them listed and "How To's".

I always wanted to take out the rivets and take the back off one.

Then remove about 3/4 of it until the rear end is exposed for a 5th wheel ball and a then shorted for a trailer hitch.

Then put the back of the bus back on.

So you have room for "The Boys" to go to an auction sale together and the goose neck behind for the purchases.

It can then pull the 5th wheel camper and have power and braking.

Another project that will probably not happen.

If you really want to go in style, this is Will Smith's camper.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Frank H said:

Add 4wd. My idea may seem ridiculous but come on, a 4wd bus/camper!

Somebody said something about 4WD and a short bus???  Or just put a camper trailer on a jeep chassis....???

power wagon bus.JPG

jeep camper.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

YouTube has a lot of them listed and "How To's".

I always wanted to take out the rivets and take the back off one.

Then remove about 3/4 of it until the rear end is exposed for a 5th wheel ball and a then shorted for a trailer hitch.

Then put the back of the bus back on.

So you have room for "The Boys" to go to an auction sale together and the goose neck behind for the purchases.

It can then pull the 5th wheel camper and have power and braking.

Another project that will probably not happen.

If you really want to go in style, this is Will Smith's camper.

I sold a bus like this to a Race Car guy for hauling his car and friends.  I told him to cut frame wedge and bring tail down to make a ramp for carrying his race car.  He removed the back of bus and reinstalled it up front  for his friends space and race shop at the rear.

3 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Somebody said something about 4WD and a short bus???  Or just put a camper trailer on a jeep chassis....???

power wagon bus.JPG

jeep camper.JPG

Oh be still my heart 

1 hour ago, dannyredfan said:

0F45199A-4EEE-4E91-AD64-7BCC2576AB92.thumb.jpeg.cc27d63197d5760285c2771f1ddcd7cc.jpeg61C542A7-DD2E-4F3C-B4D7-F9E26B1BAA24.thumb.jpeg.e0543433cfe8377aa8728c487abe22bb.jpegE20D3CE0-A5B5-47B3-A839-E4A4BFE66C35.thumb.jpeg.b5cb270442a317710ec005104a9a55df.jpeg

1 hour ago, dannyredfan said:

0F45199A-4EEE-4E91-AD64-7BCC2576AB92.thumb.jpeg.cc27d63197d5760285c2771f1ddcd7cc.jpeg61C542A7-DD2E-4F3C-B4D7-F9E26B1BAA24.thumb.jpeg.e0543433cfe8377aa8728c487abe22bb.jpegE20D3CE0-A5B5-47B3-A839-E4A4BFE66C35.thumb.jpeg.b5cb270442a317710ec005104a9a55df.jpeg

Already got a Whiskey dent in it!   What bar did you stop at on the way home with the Big Yeller Bus?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That looks to be in real nice shape! I am seriously envious!

i have never seen a nose like that, 90’s headlights and a 2000’s grill.. weird. 

To maximize your exposure on school bus modifications-----Probably be worth your while to make a trip to Talladega for race week end.  (see the whole assortment)

I have never been to the race-----but my wife and I have been through there on way to Atlanta when the crowd was headed to Talladega. 

One particular ocassion-----It appeared that other than ripping some seats out to make room for some beer coolers and installing an ultra loud music system------the modification emphasis must have been placed "under the hood".

This was a mid 80's 600--700 Ford gas burner who was setting the pace on the interstate @ 80-85 mph.  The ol' boy driving was having a helluva time driving-------and his buddies were having a better time riding.  We had a big laugh watching the shenanigans!!!  I blew the horn at them as they took the Talladega exit!??

(I wondered if they made the race that Sunday)

Looks like you have alot to work with there-------good luck

DD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well under the hood will need some attention.  60 mph. Top speed,  but good power.   Just not enough ?  

Has 228,000 miles  

10,000 hrs <>.  So I won’t go crazy on power lol.   

pretty much rust free.  But things don’t rust to bad around here. 
It was a sealed bid auction, I gave $2000. And beat the next bid by $600.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dannyredfan said:

Well under the hood will need some attention.  60 mph. Top speed,  but good power.   Just not enough ?  

Has 228,000 miles  

10,000 hrs <>.  So I won’t go crazy on power lol.   

pretty much rust free.  But things don’t rust to bad around here. 
It was a sealed bid auction, I gave $2000. And beat the next bid by $600.

Your killing me! 

Best Mate and myself..plus the two wives of the day ,brought a Ford Maquis   two door car   in California.....this back in 1977...Six   wonderful weeks   ....sold the car for what it cost    (Ik  for three year  old car...)  Saw an IH ex school bus   ..roughly fitted out as a camper  , in our travells.....Figured next time we came as a foursome, we would buy exactly that...Plenty for sale at any time.....according to Google

...sadly life got in the way and as a "foursome "  it never happened...again

Wonderful idea for a couple of Kiwi's who were totally familiar with "machinery"  Guess, today, in this over complicated world...one would have to make a bunch of modifications to a school bus...for a private camper type vehicle ..??

Mike

39 minutes ago, dannyredfan said:

We have a poor cost of living lol.   And don’t go to school in bad weather lmao lol ? 

you need some taller gears - maybe a bigger sail - shes a black stripe all ready all u need is some red and a roller - and for the beauty marks, baaaah flex seal will take care of that no problem

6 hours ago, mike newman said:

Best Mate and myself..plus the two wives of the day ,brought a Ford Maquis   two door car   in California.....this back in 1977...Six   wonderful weeks   ....sold the car for what it cost    (Ik  for three year  old car...)  Saw an IH ex school bus   ..roughly fitted out as a camper  , in our travells.....Figured next time we came as a foursome, we would buy exactly that...Plenty for sale at any time.....according to Google

...sadly life got in the way and as a "foursome "  it never happened...again

Wonderful idea for a couple of Kiwi's who were totally familiar with "machinery"  Guess, today, in this over complicated world...one would have to make a bunch of modifications to a school bus...for a private camper type vehicle ..??

Mike

Tear the seats out, the rest i think would be all how much comfort you desire.