Let's just say

bkorth

6 hours ago, Dasnake said:

I was reading dirts post and knowing what I know about towing, travel and license needs I would go on a sh*t happens theory, especially the fines and towing or storage fees, whenever we traveled and flat towed I always made sure every chain, cable and lock was complete because you know darn well troopers know exactly what to look for and where, and one slip gives them an excuse to pull you over, when is this going to happen

Sounds like he's leaving Sunday so he can be there Monday morning when the place opens, it's about a 12 or 13 hour drive.

Just act like you know what you are doing and don’t run over anyone!! H will be fine. 

• Like 1

This is how we do it 

If he is 21 or older we get a tranit plate from the state its going to this is a one time plate point a to point b

I wright FARM on the tranit plate No cdl required in the USA If  he is over 21 

we move trucks like this all the time having a log book will help and look real dumb when they ask any questions 

Make sure you have your insurance card also

• Like 3

Occ is ticket happy for anything and every thing 

Big part of the issue right now, they are in need of fundraising since everyone is out to defund.... If it can go wrong, assume it will. Crossing a state line complicates things as well. If you do try to drive it, make certain everything is good, DOT, license, function. One thing wrong and a driver W/O a CDL is the difference between a ticket/fine or impoundment. Don't you have a buddy or neighbor who has the proper license and would appreciate a free breakfast, lunch, and steak dinner... maybe even a case of ice cold beer? An extra $150 on the front side could save you $ thousands. 

• Like 3

another thing we do is we have copy's of farm plate laws in all our trucks most DOT cops are not up on farm plates and when you show them the reg's right out of the good book they will wave you on

we run all over the country on Farm tags and follow the DOT rules and have no problems

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cattech said:

Occ is ticket happy for anything and every thing 

Big part of the issue right now, they are in need of fundraising since everyone is out to defund.... If it can go wrong, assume it will. Crossing a state line complicates things as well. If you do try to drive it, make certain everything is good, DOT, license, function. One thing wrong and a driver W/O a CDL is the difference between a ticket/fine or impoundment. Don't you have a buddy or neighbor who has the proper license and would appreciate a free breakfast, lunch, and steak dinner... maybe even a case of ice cold beer? An extra $150 on the front side could save you $ thousands. 

Occ isn’t really a police enforcement. All they are is paperwork police. I’m not sure if they even carry firearms but next time I see them I will be taking notes. They mainly regulate oil wells and drilling in Oklahoma. They built new scales on the interstates 35 and 40 for anyone crossing state lines that is regulated by the occ. they have had authority for years to check truck weights but that’s all they want to see. They won’t check brakes, tires or anything else a dot would check. Like I said they are paperwork only enforcement. They have their own court system in their building in okc with their hired judge and atty. 

I got caught overweight a few weeks ago by them and 1200 for 3 tickets later I was leaving. I knew they wanted payment from out of state residents before but never thought about it much till I got hammered. I told him I’m not paying cause I want a court hearing. The reason why was when the dot stop you and fine you there’s a court hearing in the county your stopped in like everywhere else. You can call that county DA and most times they will agree the fines are outrageous and drop it significantly. That was my plan until he tells me the courts are in okc. I checked it out and sure enough it’s their hired judge inside their court that’s not even at the state courthouse. I bit my tongue hard and paid the fines. Mailed payments to Oklahoma communist corporation with their address. 
  Sorry for the derail but I can tell you how to avoid them

1 hour ago, Tmtbob said:

Occ isn’t really a police enforcement. All they are is paperwork police. I’m not sure if they even carry firearms but next time I see them I will be taking notes. They mainly regulate oil wells and drilling in Oklahoma. They built new scales on the interstates 35 and 40 for anyone crossing state lines that is regulated by the occ. they have had authority for years to check truck weights but that’s all they want to see. They won’t check brakes, tires or anything else a dot would check. Like I said they are paperwork only enforcement. They have their own court system in their building in okc with their hired judge and atty. 

I got caught overweight a few weeks ago by them and 1200 for 3 tickets later I was leaving. I knew they wanted payment from out of state residents before but never thought about it much till I got hammered. I told him I’m not paying cause I want a court hearing. The reason why was when the dot stop you and fine you there’s a court hearing in the county your stopped in like everywhere else. You can call that county DA and most times they will agree the fines are outrageous and drop it significantly. That was my plan until he tells me the courts are in okc. I checked it out and sure enough it’s their hired judge inside their court that’s not even at the state courthouse. I bit my tongue hard and paid the fines. Mailed payments to Oklahoma communist corporation with their address. 
  Sorry for the derail but I can tell you how to avoid them

I have taken back highway roads to avoid crossing  scales and have not been stopped.  Sometimes it is better, a lot better........

Almost always there exists a route you can use to avoid a scale. The only one I’ve been across that is mostly unavoidable is at Inkom, ID. I think there might be a way around that one too, but it would take you quite a ways off route. 

18 hours ago, TW7110 said:

MN also has the 150 mile rule but once you cross a state line all the rules change. 

Not entirely true.  IA and MN have an agreement allowing you to cross the line if you are within your 150 miles.  We were told by IA DOT that we could go into MN with regular county plates because of this if it's under 150 miles.

Not sure why this has to be so complicated

• Like 1

How about finding someone with a CDL to go along and do some driving. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Almost always there exists a route you can use to avoid a scale. The only one I’ve been across that is mostly unavoidable is at Inkom, ID. I think there might be a way around that one too, but it would take you quite a ways off route. 

Oh come now. Inkkom is easy although almost obvious.  If you are headed north, get off at the railroad tracks. South, you get off about the first scale sign. Just drive right through town. 
Found that out by accident. Small bladder and I had to stop. 
The scale I have trouble getting around is Tilford north of Rapid City, and I WILL NEVER CROSS IT AGAIN!!!

1 hour ago, carmine@1945 said:

How about finding someone with a CDL to go along and do some driving. 

He's trying to find someone with a CDL to go along but it's a busy time of year, couple months ago and he wouldn't have any trouble finding somebody.

Hammer down! And play dumb if stopped!

I have a friend who retrieved a truck from Texas back to Vt. He pulled into a n open scales, dmv officer saw transfer tags/plates and told him to gtf outa here, we don’t need to see you! Boot, scoot, boogie! 

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

Oh come now. Inkkom is easy although almost obvious.  If you are headed north, get off at the railroad tracks. South, you get off about the first scale sign. Just drive right through town. 
Found that out by accident. Small bladder and I had to stop. 
The scale I have trouble getting around is Tilford north of Rapid City, and I WILL NEVER CROSS IT AGAIN!!!

Last fall I said the he!! with it one day, pulled into the left lane and blew it. If you get off in Sturgis you can take Hwy 34 about 25 miles east, then turn south on New Underwood Road and take that all the way down to 90 east of Rapid. There is a gravel road bypass too but I don’t know exactly where that is. Thanks for the Inkom tip, although I may never get out there again. 

7 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

Last fall I said the he!! with it one day, pulled into the left lane and blew it. If you get off in Sturgis you can take Hwy 34 about 25 miles east, then turn south on New Underwood Road and take that all the way down to 90 east of Rapid. There is a gravel road bypass too but I don’t know exactly where that is. Thanks for the Inkom tip, although I may never get out there again. 

Yep, that’s how I get around Tilford. You can go east of the big road on a gravel, but I heard that they can get for a weight restriction road. I have never been down it. 
I run with a guy who rarely stops at scales, especially in Nebraska. 

Last several years of my southeast run with cattle me and dad started using prepass. They sent him one for a trial run and he talked me into it. I was reluctant in using them thinking they kept all scale info and would pass that on to any state dot that asked for it but they said that don’t happen so I ran one also. Very rarely did we ever see a red light flash on it. I got to where even if I knew I was heavy I still took my chances and would go by to get the green light and bypass. A couple times I got chased down in west Memphis Ar. Cause they knew I was blowing the scale. Showed them my prepass flashing green and they let me go. I would still run some on occasion but that pretty much stopped the need to do it anymore. 

15 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

Last several years of my southeast run with cattle me and dad started using prepass. They sent him one for a trial run and he talked me into it. I was reluctant in using them thinking they kept all scale info and would pass that on to any state dot that asked for it but they said that don’t happen so I ran one also. Very rarely did we ever see a red light flash on it. I got to where even if I knew I was heavy I still took my chances and would go by to get the green light and bypass. A couple times I got chased down in west Memphis Ar. Cause they knew I was blowing the scale. Showed them my prepass flashing green and they let me go. I would still run some on occasion but that pretty much stopped the need to do it anymore. 

Do the police monitor scales? And do guys often go by without weighing in? Prepass? Is that the transponder alert I see at scales? When I go hunting the scales are open certain hours then big no stop signs when closed, what’s to keep drivers from driving heavy after hours?

We have road patrols that put up mobile checkpoints along the hi ways to pull in trucks and sometimes trucks and campers or trucks towing trailers, we’ve all seen trucks and campers with the lights looking for bombers so when I was putting my truck together I changed the single overload spring to a four spring progressive along with 5000 lb bags and a sway bar, why? Because I found out if one of these stops gets it into their mind that my truck is overweight (it usually is about 1500 lbs over doorjam weight) they can/will sideline me.

So when I drive the truck is alway in even keel or the back a tad higher, guys always asked me (my kid included) why I worried so much about  the weight deal and I always say Murphy sticks to me like stink on a skunk.

As far as running heavy I 94 has scales and cameras built into the road east bound from Hudson Wi so you would get caught if the flag was big enough.

• Thanks 1

I have run way more scales on accident than intentional. Pull out to pass and get hung out there. Yet to get run down, but it will happen sometime.  I try to run legal so other than wasting time, it doesn’t matter. I will intentionally run Nebraska when the lines are out to the highway. 

18 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I have run way more scales on accident than intentional. Pull out to pass and get hung out there. Yet to get run down, but it will happen sometime.  I try to run legal so other than wasting time, it doesn’t matter. I will intentionally run Nebraska when the lines are out to the highway. 

That’s the way it usually happens. I never set out on a trip planning to blow the scales. If the line was getting out to the interstate I’d jump in the left lane and go cause I’m not putting myself in the position to get rear ended. That was common in Arkansas on I40. 

15 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Do the police monitor scales? And do guys often go by without weighing in? Prepass? Is that the transponder alert I see at scales? When I go hunting the scales are open certain hours then big no stop signs when closed, what’s to keep drivers from driving heavy after hours?

We have road patrols that put up mobile checkpoints along the hi ways to pull in trucks and sometimes trucks and campers or trucks towing trailers, we’ve all seen trucks and campers with the lights looking for bombers so when I was putting my truck together I changed the single overload spring to a four spring progressive along with 5000 lb bags and a sway bar, why? Because I found out if one of these stops gets it into their mind that my truck is overweight (it usually is about 1500 lbs over doorjam weight) they can/will sideline me.

So when I drive the truck is alway in even keel or the back a tad higher, guys always asked me (my kid included) why I worried so much about  the weight deal and I always say Murphy sticks to me like stink on a skunk.

No running them doesn’t happen often. Usually the guys working them is state patrol. Only in Oklahoma have I seen another agency working the scales. They also work the interstate around them in their white cars and watch the exits around the scales. It’s not uncommon to see the ohp in there but they are doing there own thing and picking trucks out of lineup to check. Yes prepass is the transponder equipped notification for trucks to go or stop. If you plan ahead and know how a scale operates you can do what you want after hours. Some scales stay open all night and some rarely open at all. Just depends on where your running at. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Hammer down! And play dumb if stopped!

I have a friend who retrieved a truck from Texas back to Vt. He pulled into a n open scales, dmv officer saw transfer tags/plates and told him to gtf outa here, we don’t need to see you! Boot, scoot, boogie! 

Really now?

Was this “friend” driving a Marmon cabover?

4 hours ago, Dasnake said:

So what is junior doing? How is junior doing? 

Well, he and a buddy are leaving in the morning to be there in decent time tomorrow night, pick up the truck Monday morning and do paperwork. He says he's found a route home where he can duck scales but might take a little longer, not gonna push hard coming back so he's figuring being home Tuesday late morning, unless of course he's in jail?

• Thanks 1