Let's just say

bkorth

Your son bought a class 8 truck in Arkansas and needs to drive home to Nebraska, does he need a CDL license? It has a fifth wheel on it now but will be stretched and a silage box put on when it gets home.

Nebraska doesn’t require CDL for farm plates, under 150 miles. I think he needs one, but only if he gets caught ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Nebraska doesn’t require CDL for farm plates, under 150 miles. I think he needs one, but only if he gets caught ?

Well there lies the problem, not getting caught. Everyone you ask has a different answer, don't know the laws in other states. Some say you don't need one if the truck is for personal use, I know Nebraska has the 150 mile rule. Then there is the whole thing of having in-transit stickers on it. He k if I know, I guess if you get caught just play dumb.

• Like 1

Driving it would be the cost effective way.  My concern would be any weigh stations and or mobile dot stops.  Dot likes to set up a mobile harassment trap right down from us. They stop everything from pickups with trailers on up.

2 minutes ago, edwardporter1 said:

dont forget a fuel permit

That confuses me too, where do you get them? He will be going from Arkansas to TX, OK, KS, and Nebraska

I bought mine in sw Missouri and drove it home. No plate, no permits, no insurance. (Allegedly!) I rode my motorcycle down, loaded it crosswise behind the cab and drove home. I never stopped at a scale, I’m not even sure if they were open. A recreational vehicle doesn’t have to abide by dot rules....

• Like 3

You’re overthinking it, bkorth. Hook it to a cow wagon and roll. How old is your son?  If he’s been around at all, that would be the easiest. 

15 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

You’re overthinking it, bkorth. Hook it to a cow wagon and roll. How old is your son?  If he’s been around at all, that would be the easiest. 

He's 28, you're probably right, he over thinks everything, no idea where he gets that from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

I vote you kidnap @Lazy WP haul him down there feed him fuel it up and point it towards home.?

I fixed it for you ? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, bkorth said:

That confuses me too, where do you get them? He will be going from Arkansas to TX, OK, KS, and Nebraska

you can go online or call explain your situation and they will help. Fines can get pricey and they look at bobtails. Dont ask how I know

I drove this truck for almost 2 months with an intransitive sticker. Only time I get asked for drivers license is for coop bill of lading. I would just drive it. If he is really concerned, stop and grab me. I will get back to Nebraska City. You have to clear that port on your own. 
Thet like me right now and I wanna keep it that way. 
As for fuel permits, buy them at the scales. You can get a day permit, or you used to. 

• Like 1

Do not hit Oklahoma scales on 35. There are plenty of roads going around them and I can help come up with a route to take where they won’t mess with you. Occ is ticket happy for anything and every thing and since he’s from out of state they will want fines paid on the spot before they let him leave. They got a big donation from me a couple weeks ago and I’m still bitter. 
  In all seriousness though I would just drive it home

I do not think there is any way to do this legally with no CDL if you are going to cross a state line, along with a lot of other things you will be missing. You can’t get fuel permits without a DOT #. In Missouri if you have a farm license you can’t go into some states without a trip permit, some states allow it. All this being said we bought a truck in central Iowa and drove it home with no CDL and no license on the truck. Our insurance agent claimed we were covered. Stayed off the major roads and had no problems. More than 150 air miles from home and no CDL and several state lines to cross, it just depends on how brave you are. On the off chance you get stopped it will also depend on how nice the Highway patrolman is. You might have to get it towed home at that point, after some fines of course. Just remember all it takes is some idiot smashing into your truck while running through a stop sign and you could be the one in trouble. When I have questions about this I find it best to call a company who specializes in DOT compliance. They will often give you free advice on the off chance you hire them to help you buy permits. 

• Like 3

I was reading dirts post and knowing what I know about towing, travel and license needs I would go on a sh*t happens theory, especially the fines and towing or storage fees, whenever we traveled and flat towed I always made sure every chain, cable and lock was complete because you know darn well troopers know exactly what to look for and where, and one slip gives them an excuse to pull you over, when is this going to happen?

If you're not hauling "for hire" you shouldn't need fuel or any other permits.

It is no different than an RV.

In transits should cover your licensing.

I would call your ins agent and have coverage. Lotta sh!t can happen on a trip.

CDL with air brake endorsement? I would think so.

• Like 4