Loader tractor quest

Lazy WP

I have been playing with the idea of a cabbed loader, so Lisa doesn’t have to play in the weather. 
Started out looking at prices last year. Really wanted a 276 BiDirectional with both 3 points and pto on both ends. A year ago I probably could have gotten that for around $8000, maybe a bit more. 
Well, I have bid on a couple, then decided that maybe a 966 with a loader on, that was less than 50 miles from the house should bring around $6500. Yep, the next bid after mine got it. 
This week I tried to buy a Case 870. No loader, but would look great along side of the 800 and 830 diesels, and I figured I could get a loader later on. I quit at $4210, it sold for 4310, I think. 
Today I bid on a 986 with a Farmhand 236! Exactly what I wanted. Still a week out and its over 7000. 
Guess she can feed with the old 800. 

13 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Always thought one of those would sure be handy 

1989 VERSATILE 276 at TractorHouse.com

I have been around a few of them. Should have bought it a couple years ago, but I had less money than I do now 

• Like 2

Always wanted a bidi too.

Never in my price range.

Keep looking Nick, I Got my 1486 wit DuAl 3100 last spring for $5100.

A good deal will fall in your lap when you least expect it.

• Like 1

Not much in deals anywhere to be had right now...............I look across the country at night, seeing next to nothing, and even if I would find something, couldn't afford to truck it right now either with those prices out the roof.   Amazing how things have changed.................I bought stuff in Feb and April of 2020, got it dirt cheap, and had it trucked for next to nothing as those guys were just scratching for work to keep everyone employed.............Now, nothing is cheap.

Although discouraging to loose something by a few $ on an auction i always remind myself that there is no telling where the other guy will stop.

Definitely not to many deals out there in this current market. 

i would be on the waiting bench with these other guys, people have gone out of their ever lovin minds recently - inflation should catch up with most of them soon enough - dont forget with the grain prices everything will be headed that direction just because they can

• Like 2

I figure what I think they are worth and bid accordingly. As my wife says, if we are supposed to have it, it will be there. I just want it NOW. 

I am not sure I get the point of the bi directionals, we had a couple at Stratton, handy for sure, but except for a 3 point snow blower most 3 point equipment is supposed to be pulled and works better that way. Loaders aren’t much good to drag around, we just used them like little payloaders.. so what’s the attraction? 
not being a smartass, just curious. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I am not sure I get the point of the bi directionals, we had a couple at Stratton, handy for sure, but except for a 3 point snow blower most 3 point equipment is supposed to be pulled and works better that way. Loaders aren’t much good to drag around, we just used them like little payloaders.. so what’s the attraction? 

...the  "FORD " name...I guess    .....:rolleyes:.......  Ford    tractors seem to be a popular topic, on here, at the moment...figured you would have been on to that one, Seth.....:)

Mike

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mike newman said:

...the  "FORD " name...I guess    .....:rolleyes:.......  Ford    tractors seem to be a popular topic, on here, at the moment...figured you would have been on to that one, Seth.....:)

Mike

I like ford tractors on the whole. In fact a 4000/4600 is one of my bucket list tractors. The bidirectional ar kind of neat, I just don’t quite get the advantage. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I think your missing the point

Its more "Versatile" then a standard wheel loader with a 3pt a drawbar and PTO on each end 

Kinda the swiss army knife of tractors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

Mike

I don't consider those gray things real Ford tractors  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

I don't consider those gray things real Ford tractors  

They are kind of like the model T, important roll in history, and in development, not real practical today except as a novelty. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

The engine end 3 point isn’t very strong, but work great for hauling a single big round bale. I like the visibility of the bucket when using the loader, but for me the biggest draw is true 4X4. 
Our ground in Kansas is not like the Sandhills, where you go better when it’s wet. I don’t like mud, but it makes the grass grow!!

I agree, with all of this monopoly money flying around, prices on everything have gone crazy. I have been hunting a dump truck for around the farm and the prices are nuts. I think i will hold off and wait for the balloon to pop,which will probably be sometime next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

They are kind of like the model T, important roll in history, and in development, not real practical today except as a novelty. 

better than a horse

2 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

better than a horse

Agree to disagree. What comes out of a horse is pleasing compared to what comes out of an N. I have met many horses i liked. I have met 0 N’s that i liked. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

The engine end 3 point isn’t very strong, but work great for hauling a single big round bale. I like the visibility of the bucket when using the loader, but for me the biggest draw is true 4X4. 
Our ground in Kansas is not like the Sandhills, where you go better when it’s wet. I don’t like mud, but it makes the grass grow!!

We have a 276 now I am putting back together. They are handy. Where they shine is in mud and snow. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I like ford tractors on the whole. In fact a 4000/4600 is one of my bucket list tractors.

I'm with you.  I thought I found a 4610 SU with potential a few weeks ago.  Upon inspection prior to the action, it was rougher than I expected or wanted.  I passed.

8 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

I think your missing the point

Its more "Versatile" then a standard wheel loader with a 3pt a drawbar and PTO on each end 

Kinda the swiss army knife of tractors.

They are the jack of all trades but master of none.  A neighboring ranch cuts all their hay with them.  I’ll pass

16 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I can tell you out here they were kicking everybody’s @$$ in the livestock ranch/hay tractor market.  They put a big enough hurt on Deere that JD tried to buy out Versatile just to get their hand on the bi-directional.  And it almost happened.