help with radiator caps?

ok guys i have 2 farmall cubs on here a 1948 and 1953 c60 motors in both...... my newest problem is rad caps, im trying to find the right ones and yes they r both different....the 1948 cub has a 7lb. cap on it and is roughly 1- 1/16" depth inside filler neck,2.22 od of neck and 2.09 tang to tang..............

the 1953 cub has roughly a 3/4" to 7/8" inside filler neck and 2.22 od outside neck, now i tried steiner they both look different than mine and the numbers didnt match up, and i also tried stant caps and theirs didnt look or numbers match ethier? now i kno i can just buy any old cap and it will probably work.......but i`d rather get the correct ones that look right fit right and have the correct pressure for my motor, so any ideas or leads appreciated and if u need anymore numbers or info just let me know thnx bb p.s stant saz cap#10228 is right and its not

IH released an optional pressure type radiator cap  part number 365892r91  around serial 185000. for radiator 365892r91  or 80889r91 if you have  radiator 352903r92 it did help some with cooling problems but the pressure cap can stress some of the old radiators parts are listed in the TC 37 F  IH parts book

• Like 1

ok guys thnx for the input, im afraid im going to have to do something with this old rad. apparently it leaks like a siv:( so ethier stock or some kind of car replacement is going to be looked into? or repaired this thing is shot thou....i just got the 6 volt  running today, new plugs,wires battery and carb fired right up but after 10 minutes of running u could tell it was getting hot and leaking everywhere lol,so this is my next project before i can mow my damn yard lol any tips and hints are appreciated. thnx bb

The front bolster of the tractor serves as the lower tank for the radiator on the Cub. That's going to make the lower connection difficult if you're rigging something. I've used an aftermarket "will fit" radiator on a Cub and had excellent results.

The one I used was from that country that starts with a C. It was the cheapest one on ebay at the time, and just came in a white box with foreign lettering on it.

People call me names for this, but frankly, I believe they all come from the same factory no matter who you buy from. It's not like there is a huge market for Cub radiators that Chinese factories are crawling all over one another for that sweet sweet Cub radiator money.

Apparently the quality standard is a Clancy radiator, made in Ireland. A bit more expensive. My experience with them, meh. Last summer the 856 radiator sprung a leak. We pulled it out and it was a Clancy. In the process of pulling it out two of the captured nuts broke loose and spun even though I'm sure they were put in with never-seez. Had to buzz them off with the angle grinder. As an aside, the battery powered angle grinder is the BEST INVENTION EVER. Right now it has a Chinese ebay radiator in it, and the Clancy is waiting for a trip to the radiator shop.

yea i believe the same thing with cereal lol ...........ok matt, even thou i kno this looks like an exact match (remember im new at this) where do i find these numbers to make sure they match up with mine?  and the reason i ask is because ive found several but the numbers r 1 or 2 digits difference  like 351878R92 or 351878R9 and so on r these different numbers as far as parts or r they just listing the basic number?

thnx

FITMENT

Radiator, for tractors: Cub, Cub Lo-Boy. Includes mounting gasket. For Cub, Cub Lo-Boy. 
Replaces: 351878R92, 351878R93, 353903R92
Radiator Part Number 351878R92  (w/ Gasket)

rad.jpg

ok guys see this radiator above, looks just like mine except is aluminum, i thought this was it and was going to buy but the seller saz wont fit mine can u help me figure out what part number i need so i can get the right one????????

or where is my radiator part number i cant find? i did find these numbers today engine ser.# FCUBM 43465 and

tractor ser.# FCUB 43292 then these sets of numbers around carb  251341R1           7.14.R

and 351981R1          J.12.R if any of these help find out what radiator number i need to order thnx in advance guys

The radiator part number would be on a tag on the radiator if it is an OEM IH radiator.

The R-number is the revision. Any revision is backward compatible with the same part number but a lower R-number. R3 would be backward compatible with R2 and R1. When you see R93, R92, R91, those are revisions of assemblies. In your case the radiator, cap, gasket, and overflow tube are an assembly.

What reason did the seller give when he told you it would not fit your Cub? Many sellers are just "drop shippers" and don't know a thing about the products they sell. It pays to be an educated consumer because you can save a lot of money by dealing with these folks, but you can't expect any intelligent support from them.

To my knowledge, there really is only one radiator design for the Cub.

doesnt take returns is usually a walk they are foreign and dont have a clue other than $$$

virtually everything will be from china as will fit which means you will make it fit

I will forward YOU 3 contact, if I find, that have slight sense ,you need to take the info and decide if the product /service is worth THEIR input $$,

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=83406

https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/Farmall-Cub_Radiator_351878R92.html

BEn Dover and help H   esus

https://antique-tractor-parts.steinertractor.com/tractor/Cub-Lo--Boy-Radiator

https://usradiator.com/

https://www.thomasnet.com/products/automotive-radiators-65771404-1.html

https://www.thomasnet.com/products/industrial-radiators-65781601-1.html

also check hemmings

ok NEW PROBLEM i believe i have a 1948 cub ENGINE SER.# FCUBM 43465 TRACTOR SER.# FCUB 43292 c-60 motor....so steiner is the one that told me what year and model thru those numbers...everybody saz i need a 351878R91 or 351878R92 or 351878R93 radiator to fit my tractor and they also say those radiator numbers will fit ALL CUBS between 1947 thru the 70`s most of the new rads say they are 17 1/2 inches tall, well if thats to the top of tank then that matches mine, but they ALL say 14 1/2 inches wide """"this is where we run into a kanumdrum"""" my radiator is ONLY 12 1/4 inches wide and the brackets that hold the rad are ONLY 12 3/4 inches wide outside to outside, and by he way the bracket width is the same on the top and bottom meaning they are pretty square, so im including pictures so u can see the measurements, and i would say that this means the 3 part numbers above ARE NOT the part numbers i need and can u please help me find out the right radiator for mine preferably an aluminum one? thnx in advance for any and all help again guys. p.s let me kno if u need any other info thnx

1948 cub.jpg

new pix1.jpg

new pix2.jpg

new pix3.jpg

new pix4.jpg

new pix5.jpg

new pix6.jpg

new pix7.jpg

If there are multiple possibilities and you are not sure what you have, then why not just take this to a radiator shop and let them tell you what you need? Yes, it will probably cost a little more, but you will get the right part. I have a shop close to me that I use all the time and they are very competitive on price. They don’t recommend cheap stuff, but if that’s what you want they will sell it to you. They may also provide a repair solution instead of replacement. May be worth checking out. 

2 hours ago, R190 said:

How wide is the flange? Thats the widest part of the radiator not where you are measuring.

This. The 14-1/2" measurement is at the base flange of the radiator. There's nothing special or different about your Cub. It's just a regular run of the mill every day bog standard Cub. Go ahead and order the aluminum radiator. It will fit just fune.

1502138065_cubradiatordimension.jpg.7afb620cf9ece25569478b5ba4752c6c.jpg

thnx r190 i didnt know that see u and matt saved the day :) i asked and finally i was taught thnx and to answer dirt floor poor,im lazy and didnt want a rebuild this thing is shot and wanted it delivered to my door lol but thnx also. i learned again today thnx guys will order tonight and holler at the next problem OR GOOD that happens....going to try mowing yard when i get new rad on.

• Like 1

ok just wanted to sho u guys what i found when i pulled radiator off? and afterwards i boiled out the block and cleaned all the frame tank out and had to re-tap

the drain plug to a 3/4-10 to make a new bolt for it lol, but radiator should be here today and will go from there thnx.

rad1.jpg

rad2.jpg