Sister wants an A

IH OAK

My sister wants a small tractor "so I can work in the truck patch and mow..." She really wants an A with a mower deck. She found this on FaceWaste marketplace. It has a trip bucket, woods 55, and char-lynn hyd. (not live) no PS.

I told her the most she should offer if she really wants it is $1200-1400.

What do Yall think?

I have been telling her to get something '70s-'90's, Diesel, MFWD, about 25-30 hp., live hyd &p 3pt.....

44.thumb.jpg.133c2deba35f3cb3e054945f967a131f.jpg

1 hour ago, lightninboy said:

Unless your sister is an FFA tractor restorer type she should drive only somebody else's Kubota or such.

Are you insinuating that all females can't drive an old tractor or only his sister? You should think hard about your answer.

I think she should pass unless she is looking for an antique just for the sake of having one. as you say something mid 60s 70s 80’s my something like a JD 750 or a ford 1310 or similar would be practical, useful and versatile. The A is one of those things that has to be a passion, collecting and repairing implements, adjusting your practices to suit your implements. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I think she should pass unless she is looking for an antique just for the sake of having one. as you say something mid 60s 70s 80’s my something like a JD 750 or a ford 1310 or similar would be practical, useful and versatile. The A is one of those things that has to be a passion, collecting and repairing implements, adjusting your practices to suit your implements. 

That's how she is...SHE WANTS AN A and she is GOING TO GET ONE. She doesn't want to put down more than $2000.

She just said she wants a "cute little old tractor" .....:rolleyes:

The A and its' replacement the 100 Series were designed as a one row, row crop tractor and with the correct cultivators and planters it is superb at that task. Nothing made today without being offset is anything near its' equal.  With the A family you can cultivate strawberries in a row and get in close enough without damaging the plants. I would call its' operation precision cultivating for expensive plants.  A drag behind cultivator is no contest in accuracy.  BUT I  personally would look for a late model 140!

IMO the A is too large  for a lawn mower and not powerful enough for brush mowing, a front end loader is ridiculous on an A, too light with a high center of gravity and little power.

If I was doing high value veggies  or flowers I  would own a 140 with a cultivator kit. It's just an updated A.

Ladies easily operate the A family but I would start with the newer, last made in the 70's it will require maintenance.

• Like 1

Good for her? if she wants an A than that is what she should get. Each to their own.  I mow 3 acres and I won't part with my super A for any zero turn. I won't ever have to replace it for the rest of my life. My neighbor has had 4 different zero turns in the last 20 years and I have had the same ole super A for the last 31 years and all it has needed is oil changes and anti freeze changes and Tran.and final drive oil changes, and and couple belts and blades for the woods L59 mower

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IH OAK said:

That's how she is...SHE WANTS AN A and she is GOING TO GET ONE. She doesn't want to put down more than $2000.

Good for her, how old is she and is she married......Maybe trade my other half in.............??????

I never underestimated a woman, spoke to her as a equal in business and pleasure. Many women are my superior anyway,just amazing how much some can get done but same as men.Lazy and hard workers,bad and good etc.etc

• Like 1

I bought the '46 A from the farm when I was 17 that grandpa bought in '52 . It was bought to cultivate our corn. Since I remember it was only used for the garden. It had exhaust lift (pneumatic lift-all) . It was configured as the ultimate cultivator tractor except for the one thing the super A fixed and that was the factory integrated live hydraulic power for the cultivator lift. 

I would suggest a super A through 140 for her 

The school district I went to from 1st grade to Senior in HS used a '50's to early '60's yellow 140 to mow ALL the school district property all summer every summer.  A person would drastically underestimate the acreage the school district owned. Thing had a 5-6 ft wide mower, probably a Woods. The old guy started every morning about same time school started and went from one school or football practice field to the next.  Like an over-grown Cub Cadet.  When he got them all mowed he started over again.

I think I'd try to steer SIS towards a 140.  Newer is always better. Maybe something that has already been refurbished?

Since it has a junk loader stuck on it, ----- PASS it up! its been wrecked!! NEVER buy a tractor that has/had loaders on them! Clutches and front ends are always trashed on them! ----been down that road before!

As for price $500. tops in this area!

• Like 1

One of my relatives bought a 140 in 63. I visited him in 2009 and he still had the 140 under the same shed I helped him build in 62.  When he was active in  tobacco  it was his primary cultivating method.  More recently he was growing low value, less work crops and a 684 machine.  The 140 wasn't much used in recent years. At 83 YO he finally stopped daily farming and leased his land out to others.  The 140 still looked good and he said he still had all the attachments. it had been trouble free for all those years. I pulled the dipstick and the oil still looked good.  A true farmer, he was never a mechanic, he always hired professionals  to repair his machinery.

49 minutes ago, oleman said:

One of my relatives bought a 140 in 63. I visited him in 2009 and he still had the 140 under the same shed I helped him build in 62.  When he was active in  tobacco  it was his primary cultivating method.  More recently he was growing low value, less work crops and a 684 machine.  The 140 wasn't much used in recent years. At 83 YO he finally stopped daily farming and leased his land out to others.  The 140 still looked good and he said he still had all the attachments. it had been trouble free for all those years. I pulled the dipstick and the oil still looked good.  A true farmer, he was never a mechanic, he always hired professionals  to repair his machinery.

I love to have a 140,just think they are a versatile little tractor but really don't have much use for one.If I was produce farmer that would be the ticket.

I have a 100 here and it just sits. 

12 minutes ago, Jacka said:

I love to have a 140,just think they are a versatile little tractor but really don't have much use for one.If I was produce farmer that would be the ticket.

I have a 100 here and it just sits. 

Yep, same here when I went to buy a well used tractor I wanted more HP and easier access, ended up with the diesel 464.

BUT for high value close in work it would be a 100!

7 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Just watched this one sell at auction for......7k on the head. 

9F2A2573-A34B-420D-B9E0-500A22487446.jpeg

High crop (AV) increases the value. Probably a buy at that if it is as nice as it appears

On 6/13/2021 at 7:03 AM, DOCTOR EVIL said:

The school district I went to from 1st grade to Senior in HS used a '50's to early '60's yellow 140 to mow ALL the school district property all summer every summer.  A person would drastically underestimate the acreage the school district owned. Thing had a 5-6 ft wide mower, probably a Woods. The old guy started every morning about same time school started and went from one school or football practice field to the next.  Like an over-grown Cub Cadet.  When he got them all mowed he started over again.

I think I'd try to steer SIS towards a 140.  Newer is always better. Maybe something that has already been refurbished?

I told her if she is set on the offset she should save up for a 274.

On 6/14/2021 at 12:30 PM, IH OAK said:

I told her if she is set on the offset she should save up for a 274.

Kubota had an offset, local nursery has one, it is pretty cool. I want it.

B6B0B441-669F-44F9-8C40-4511E1819189.png

F5464CB4-2B42-4E3F-B49A-6825D009F7D2.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Kubota had an offset, local nursery has one, it is pretty cool. I want it.

B6B0B441-669F-44F9-8C40-4511E1819189.png

F5464CB4-2B42-4E3F-B49A-6825D009F7D2.png

Only missing the MFWD!

I've mowed with a '47 A and a Woods mower.  If you have a large open area I think it would work great, I have trees, ledge and none of it's flat so it was less that ideal.

That being said an A or any of it's younger siblings are great tractors.  If I was to mow with one I would at least get a SA so you had the hydraulics to lift the mower

K

• Like 1