airless paint sprayer?

vtfireman85

neighbor approached me about painting his house.. I do care taking and other stuff for him, so this wasn't totally out of the realm of asking. at first I thought NAHH, got too much going on, but turns out a little extra income wouldn't hurt right now, and I have to re-treat the log cabin this year.. and continually, and at some point going to have to do my grandmothers house. got thinking maybe this is a good excuse to buy an airless sprayer. HD offers Graco sprayers ranging from 450-1000 ish dollars. the 450 one seems to offer what I need but perhaps stepping up a couple hundred to a pro model would be worthwhile? I have never used one of these, don't know how big a deal they are, any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. 

this is the one I was looking at. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Graco-Magnum-X7-Cart-Airless-Paint-Sprayer-with-20-in-Extension-50-ft-Hose-and-TRU311-Tip-18F027/315953759

I have a Graco LTS 15, looks smaller than the one pictured. It works great, I mainly use it to paint fence. We have 300 feet of 7 foot hight picket fence and 250 feet of 4 board fence. I have also used it on clapboard siding. It is a bit messy but it is a paint sprayer!  When you put it away do not fail to store it with the blue stuff they give you with it to protect it.

• Thanks 1

The only input I have is the airless spraying use, when I had our house I had 300 ft of 6 ft cedar fence around our deck and it was 40x40, I used a wagner and it was great, smaller hand held, like tom says when done follow all cleanup and storage instructions, my kid didn't. (long story)

• Like 1

I had a Graco years ago and it always did a nice job.  They do have paint filters scattered around in the pump, spray gun and so on.  Clean them after each use and you will probably never have any issues with dried up paint clogging the gun.  The owners manual said to run mineral spirts through the system before you put it away.  Whatever model you buy be sure to get a spray gun that has the reversible tip.  Nothing can be more time consuming and annoying than climbing a ladder, making a few passes with the gun and get a clog.  Back down the ladder, take the tip off, ect., ect., back up the ladder and so on.

• Thanks 1

And strain every single drop of paint before you spray. I found out the hard way how much trash is in new 5 gallon buckets of name brand paint. The easiest strainers are the type that go in a 5 gallon bucket. You just dump in the paint in a clean bucket with the strainer in place,, lift the strainer out of the bucket and you are ready to paint.  This will save you huge headaches. If the trash gets in the sprayer you have to take it apart and clean every filter. The strainer bags cost about $3 and can be washed and reused.

• Thanks 1

Shop around on FB or CL or local news paper ads. If you find one ask the seller to see it working. A Graco works just fine on straight water to see operational.

I bought a Graco Magnum X5 used on FB. It had an extension and a tip swivel which came in handy. The guy used it one time staining his wood siding on his new house and sold it. I ran it on just water to see if it was plugged and spray pattern. Last I painted was the BusKote primer and paint on our 37' motorhome. I had enough paint for a good 2 coats of primer and 4 coats of paint over 3 days. It is a water base paint so clean up is run a lot of water thru it, then take hoses and gun apart to make sure you got all the paint out. I have used Binks guns for automotive type paints since 1992. Wish they were as easy to use and clean as this Graco.

• Thanks 1

The newer RAC X tips are supposed to be great.  Downside is you need to buy the new nozzle holder and guard with it.  The nice thing about airless sprayers is that they are like semi trucks.  Most of the parts are interchangeable.

• Like 1