IH 900 cyclo tank pressure for soybeans

Cool1566

We bought a slick 900 8 row at an auction last winter. Planning on using it to spot in some drowned out spots. I’ve never been around a red planter much and I have a few questions. First, for a 240 hole drum what pressure should I run in the seed hopper for soybeans? It has a 1000 rpm pto pump and even with the screw turned all the way in all I can get pressure wise is 6-7. Any tips or tricks I’m missing? Drum and lid gaskets both appear to be good. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Exactly what he said. I never put too much faith in what the gauge on the hopper said anyway. As long as there is enough pressure to hold the seed in the drum and blow the seeds through the tubes you will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What the guys above said, but are you 6 to 7 oz of air pressure with no seed in the drum or with the seed pockets filled? We run our cyclos between 8 and 10 ozs with the seed pockets filled. Too much air pressure and it will bounce seed out of the furrow, just need enough to keep the seeds in the pockets. Tie down the seed brush, with soybeans you are not worried about doubles, and use the graphite spray before you mount the drum. They are a great bean planter!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As noted above no seed in the holes it will be lower pressure than it will once filled with seed. I always run about 3/4 of PTO speed never full RPM. 

• Thanks 1