Scout Diesel

I have a Scout Terra that ran . I let it sit for seven years, and now I have fuel at the pump, but I do not have fuel at the injectors. Was reading that the Overflow valve which is on top of the filter can cause fuel not to get to the injectors. When I prime to get air out off the pump, the Overflow valve makes a air sound, and the fuel is returning to the tank. I was told that sound means that the Overflow valve is working. Any ideas before I pull the pump?

Not sure. Never had the pump off mine.  I glanced through the injection pump section of the engine manual and nothing jumped out at me that would help you. @DirtBoyz07 or @Injpumped that work on pumps a lot may have some ideas along with several others sharper than I am. 

I’m guessing you have bad fuel in the fuel system and the pump is sticking that’s why it’s not pumping fuel . I’m not sure what this motors have for a pump .

Danny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

I’m guessing you have bad fuel in the fuel system and the pump is sticking that’s why it’s not pumping fuel . I’m not sure what this motors have for a pump .

Danny

Kiki. Japanese bosh

Those old pumps usually store ok,  but that s a lot of years ... this new fuel is not so good, shoot me a pm with your number and I’ll share what I know about these very odd engines

Thanks for your replies.

I'm not usually a big believer in "snake oil" products, but this stuff did fix a problem I was having with a 7.3 that had sat for a while. It would run, but would shut off instead of returning to idle after revving. I put this in the tank, ran it long enough to get into the pump and left it for a day. It idled like a new one the next time I ran it. I know yours doesn't run, but maybe getting it circulated into the pump would help. Pretty much all auto parts places have it.

https://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-kleen-cetane-boost/

I am pretty sure those have a Diesel Kiki/ZEXEL A pump, which as mentioned above is a Japanese copy of a Bosch, which ironically now owned by Bosch. Inline pumps like rotaries do NOT store well with any kind of bio-diesel. The rack is very likely stuck in the shut-off position, or if bad enough the plungers are all stuck up, and the springs can't pull them back down. Good thing, or it would be a runaway. I've freed up inline pumps by taking the inlet and return fittings out of the pump itself, blow out the old fuel and fill that fuel galley with brakleen, and screw some plugs back in and let it sit. Take the side cover off so you can watch what is happening. I've not ever worked on one of the Scout Diesel pumps though, never had one come in the shop. I think it's a Nissan engine. Good luck and hopefully you can get it working without removal. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks.

I am going to try this before I pull the pump. I will drain the filters, and used a small tank. I will fill the tank with kleen, and run the return line to the starter tank. That way I can used the hand primer to fill the pump with kleen. I will let it sit for a while and crank the engine once a week.

Just remember the brakleen is to free it up and clean it, not to run it on, leave lines off at injectors. You'll start seeing them spit when it starts pumping fuel again. On a severe case, even this won't work. Good luck!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 9:10 AM, Injpumped said:

Just remember the brakleen is to free it up and clean it, not to run it on, leave lines off at injectors. You'll start seeing them spit when it starts pumping fuel again. On a severe case, even this won't work. Good luck!

work in RM also?...what is good to keep pumps from sticking? we run the 2 cl and atf,while avoiding bio "when" marked

not as well, too many places inside the Roosa since it's all fuel. An inline is only fuel lubed at top.