Not they way my nite was suppose to go!

Not the way my night was suppose to go.....

Rear tires been pretty weather cracked for a few years but hadn't really been leaking too much. Add air 3 or 4 times a year. 

Was gonna brush mow some weeds in pasture last night and took today off to bale a small piece of hay I make on shares.  Lynville repair says they can't get Firestone right now cause of a rubber shortage or some such covld created deal. Ordered a bkt to be here this morning. Said they would take it apart and fix old one if they could first but I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and just go with a new tire and tube. This one is the worse looking of the 2 anyway. Maybe I can swing the other yet this year too.

Oh ya 1 front on the 560 is flat and plugging it did me no good. Wasn't that old when I bought the 560 but the mate to it already died. Might pick up a new 600-16 too. Those vortex tires sure don't seem very durable. Again were on it when I bought it.

Shop opens at 7. Hopefully they will get it banged out and I will be on my way.

20210608_175322.jpg

20210608_175902.jpg

20210608_180656.jpg

• Sad 1

The loader is down and I blocked the other rear wheel. Later blocked the fronts too.

• Like 5

Is it common to haul the tire in for repairs? Most of what I see is tire shop does a service call for AG sized tires . Easier for them when the wheel is held by the machine. If that's a bias ply it wouldn't scare me to tube it even if cracked really bad especially if you want to get by until a Firestone is available

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And yes I just saw the missing bolt(s) in my wheel weights I keep forgetting to put in. ?‍♂️?‍♂️

• Like 1

I was gonna have em come out till he told me the hourly rates for a call. Told him I will haul it to you if it will save me money. His reply was it will. He did mention it might be harder for them, which I understand. Think he said $125 an hour from time they left shop till time returned versus 75 an hour shop time. I'm not all that worried about getting a Firestone at this point. And part of my thinking is if the shortages continue maybe I better get at least 1 while the getting is good?

It is a bais but looks worse than pics show tho maybe not as bad as I think. I will see what they say too.

35 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Brave man with that jack. 

I have plywood squares on some 2X10s I use in the gravel for all jacks and stands 

Then I crib with 6x6s so its not just the jack 

• Like 2

I do have a second hyd jack under the drawbar support as well. The plywood idea or wood blocks sound good too. I could barely get the old railroad jack as dad called it under the axle as it was to start tho. Tire grew a lot as I took weight off. Lol

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Not the way my night was suppose to go.....

Rear tires been pretty weather cracked for a few years but hadn't really been leaking too much. Add air 3 or 4 times a year. 

Was gonna brush mow some weeds in pasture last night and took today off to bale a small piece of hay I make on shares.  Lynville repair says they can't get Firestone right now cause of a rubber shortage or some such covld created deal. Ordered a bkt to be here this morning. Said they would take it apart and fix old one if they could first but I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and just go with a new tire and tube. This one is the worse looking of the 2 anyway. Maybe I can swing the other yet this year too.

Oh ya 1 front on the 560 is flat and plugging it did me no good. Wasn't that old when I bought the 560 but the mate to it already died. Might pick up a new 600-16 too. Those vortex tires sure don't seem very durable. Again were on it when I bought it.

Shop opens at 7. Hopefully they will get it banged out and I will be on my way.

20210608_175322.jpg

20210608_175902.jpg

20210608_180656.jpg

On a side note regarding BKT

Never thought much of them,  got some implement tires on the field cultivator few years back, main frame got 12 ply firestone,  and wings got 8 ply BKT,  it sits out alot, and the firestones are cracking up after 5 years while the wings look like brand new and rubber still seems like new.   Would I buy a BKT tractor tire? ... dont know about that, but,  just a bit of info.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cjf711 said:

Never thought much of them,  got some implement tires on the field cultivator few years back, main frame got 12 ply firestone,  and wings got 8 ply BKT,  it sits out alot, and the firestones are cracking up after 5 years while the wings look like brand new and rubber still seems like new.   Would I buy a BKT tractor tire? ... dont know about that, but,  just a bit of info.  

The BKT tires we have bought (16.9r30 20.8r38) have worn down faster than the premium brands . They are an ok tire but not quite there for longevity yet 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cjf711 said:

The BKT tires we have bought (16.9r30 20.8r38) have worn down faster than the premium brands . They are an ok tire but not quite there for longevity yet 

22 minutes ago, cjf711 said:

Worthington Ag Parts in St Johns, Michigan, are about 30 minutes from us, Many of our Neighbors Have purchased a Complete Tire and Rim, Or Have purchased a Pair of Matched Tires.

Perhaps your Farm isn't close to a Ag Salvage Recycler, But Most of The Prices for a Pair of Rear Tires on Rims are worth the Drive, And A Large selection.

My 2 cents, Jim Droscha

• Like 3

Good luck getting things lined out with the tires. Seems like things go that way when a guy takes off work to do other work....

• Like 1

Our good local tire guy will get it done quickly if you bring it to him, but if you want on farm service it could take a while because he is so swamped. He also has a big machine at his shop for doing them, which makes it quicker and easier for him. 

44 minutes ago, bitty said:

A friend just got a new Deere and it came through with BKT tires

15 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

A friend just got a new Deere and it came through with BKT tires

Tires would out last a JD ..........

;) ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

He has the old one off and made it look easy. Cleaning the rim off now. He has a set of dyna torque take offs that have similar tread to mine but no weather cracks I can see. Think I'm gonna go that route, right or wrong. Tractor has other issues I might have to pony up $$ for at any time so this will save my part time budget some $$ for other emg. repairs. Tractor gets 100 hrs a year or less so this ought to get me by a few more years. Contemplating telling them I will take the other one too. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bitty said:

Is it common to haul the tire in for repairs? Most of what I see is tire shop does a service call for AG sized tires . Easier for them when the wheel is held by the machine. 

The tire places around here have pretty steep field service rates. It's cheaper to take it to them if you have the time to mess with it.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

He has the old one off and made it look easy. Cleaning the rim off now. He has a set of dyna torque take offs that have similar tread to mine but no weather cracks I can see. Think I'm gonna go that route, right or wrong. Tractor has other issues I might have to pony up $$ for at any time so this will save my part time budget some $$ for other emg. repairs. Tractor gets 100 hrs a year or less so this ought to get me by a few more years. Contemplating telling then I will take the other one too. 

If he has a matching set nicer than getting something different later 

• Like 1

I dont know your circumstances but you did alot of work dismounting and re mounting wheel, along with centering it if done right. In less time than you think one could pop that tire off the rim while its mounted. I did both my 1486 last year. First one was rusted and took me a little longer than the second one but start to finish was about 4 hours. And I wire wheeled the rims and painted them. So it was 4 hrs over 2 days so to speak. And I am not a tire guy by any stretch. Tire shops around here have gotten to be so high that I can't bear to pay them that. If you have a flat in the field its gonna cost you $500. 

20200502_081806.jpg

20200503_193003.jpg

• Like 3

Good luck, hope your day improves.

Side note; I have a titan, may be Armstrong just like that one on my 826. On the left side even. If you wanted to come to the farm and remove it, put the Firestone on...

• Haha 1

Years ago I'd grab the tire irons and the big spade Dad made to pound the bead off the rim and in 10-15 minutes the tire would be laying on the ground and the tube on top of it and I'm looking for the leak. Dad's shop compressor had a 3/4 hp motor on it, maybe 8-10 gallon pressure tank, think 85-90 psi tops.  It was just only for airing up tires.

Now, Fast Forward 45 years,  removing the same tires on the Super H that Dad and I installed in 1969, the rims were terribly rusty under the inner tube. I got the first bead loose, just couldn't get the inside to budge. I took the rim & tire to my local Firestone shop, RAINMAN lives nearby, and in 5 minutes his large rear tractor tire machine had the tire off the rim. The machine had a 4-spoke wheel with bars with sharp points to grab the rim, the wheel spins the tire against a polished concave steel disk, think disk blade, but more conical and 14-15 inches diameter, rubs against tire sidewall pressing tire off the bead. We're take a 50+ year old 4 ply 12.4x38, it popped off the bead easily.  I loaded my rim and tire up left $50 with the office guy and went home.  Sand-blasted the rim, primed & painted the rim, let the paint dry,  took my new Made in Korea Firestone radial rated inner tube back to the tire shop and in about the same 5 minutes installed the tube and mounted the tire. He even used his squeezer fork truck to load my tire. Left another $50 with the counter guy.

Back then, 2013 or '14, just the service call was $175 to get their truck in my yard.  Think they're about 11 miles away,  I can make lots and lots of trips back and forth for $175.00.  And my new little puppy loved to ride in my truck. She'd sit on the fold-down armrest and look out the windshield.

• Like 3

I think it's $50 an hour here and they are 15 minutes away. Owner used to work for Hess tire in Andover? NY

It cost me $300.00 to have my local tire shop replace the tube on an 18.4x34 on my 806 . Called them in the morning and it was done when I got home from work. Was much easier on my back! Wife said they were there for about an hour.

• Like 3