584 questions

is the motor an american or german diesel ? and the neighbor has a 674 always said a little  hard starting,  and what about the pto does it coast when shut off like a 756 would> the reason i ask is we have a ford 5600 and when you shut the pto off its off, kind of hard on some of the hay stuff we hook it to.

You have a German diesel, D239. When starting you should move the shut off linkage till it hits the little pin on the injection pump. This makes for easier start. Not sure what you mean about pto coasting to a stop. 756 should not coast,it has 3 brakes that are spring applied when shut off. 584 should shut off fast also, but if your hay equipment is running full Pto speed when shut off it probably will coast a little bit. Hope this helps

The engine is the German D206, I don't find them too hard starting. The key to starting is the Stop/Start/Run lever needs to be adjusted properly. In the start position extra fuel is added for easier starting. The PTO uses a hydraulic clutch and will not coast excessively if in decent shape. I run a Bush Hog 3008 mower with my 684 and it shuts off pretty quickly, of course idling down before shutoff.

D-155 D-179 D-206 D-239 D-246 D-268 D-310 D-358 DT-239 DT-358 DT-402 Fuel system & Turbochargers & Injectors..pdf (dropbox.com)

PTO stop speed is a Federal alphabet soup safety regulation thing. Has to stop in a certain amount of time so if someone is getting wrapped up in the shaft the damage is limited. The Ford 5600 was made around the same time as the 584, so they both would have to follow the same level of safety regulations. I'd expect the PTOs to react similarly.

The only PTO implement I've run into where the "off is off" seems pretty harsh is the tedder. Even if I idle the tractor all the way down and let things slow as much as possible, when the PTO is shut off the momentum in the baskets is enough to make the overload clutch in the tedder go bang-bang-bang. It just sounds bad. Everything else has an overrunning clutch of some sort.

• Like 1