Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey guys some more progress and another acquisition... The Fordson is likely going to be delivered to her owner today or Saturday. She’s in “PDI” stage with just a few little issues to sort out. Got two spots of paint to sand with 1500 and buff, reset the float level tonight and she’s running good.
 

She will start on the internal mag but wired up a hidden “hot start”. Double throw switch so the battery and mag can never interface. Works good and starts easy. Even had an “electric start” but of course didn’t get it on video so never happened...

 

Also landed a Ruston Hornsby 5WHR we’ve been playing with a little. Plan to get running and put to some use. We’re going to leave mostly as is patina wise. Picked up an English Fordson F on rubber in pieces too, complete, but in pieces...
 

Anyways here’s some pics. 

92F17E4F-D67E-444E-909D-6BF0649CE91D.jpeg

A48D3507-B400-4949-B499-E78BB62C855C.jpeg

934257EA-9BAF-410E-917D-6612C1908F49.jpeg

9882B409-0097-4783-A1A0-4503A11A267B.jpeg

B454315D-FA17-4F0B-B203-8CF1CFEF8D3E.jpeg

59E0BC94-70B6-4C19-8A4F-8705ACFDF631.jpeg

9B5DD908-9F44-44CB-B4E7-F6E793F181DF.jpeg

D6EC9871-DEEF-4E01-80AC-EE51ED551E97.jpeg

25774097-AA16-4128-8CF4-B880943D5EFB.jpeg

97DB3FA9-367A-4AD3-BC0B-67614DBF6CE4.jpeg

F4CC0A56-9FFC-490D-AA90-849269226B5F.jpeg

6582B90B-40A0-4725-8B56-7FFA974F9A77.jpeg

90C80D00-F421-4EA9-A447-45E5B60416BD.jpeg

2745EC12-8093-4C63-A83B-BCE590D063A8.jpeg

1FFF949C-4913-4EBD-ACB3-0237B9654B4C.jpeg

347B1339-9736-4BD4-B68B-A2AF71582F88.jpeg

F7F8646D-CBD0-4DCA-A20F-D8D098EB9502.jpeg

52A8EC84-7047-4937-93E2-0BC063B33EF4.jpeg

091E9D25-8EA9-4B17-8D0E-594D2197C1E4.jpeg

6CF96EB6-FD73-4947-A7EE-0A6BABEFD5F4.jpeg

B09AFD35-64EC-4807-82B4-650AA4C2F044.jpeg

6E43336F-3FB4-4971-8B45-DCBAD660A8F8.jpeg

1CA8D377-F617-4F07-B4C3-080C9329D403.jpeg

8DE90224-C5A1-4CE3-B25A-1F9AF1291D9E.jpeg

F579CA2B-2938-4D5E-9A3C-A98DE4CDE6B5.jpeg

876C9B82-1358-483C-8E3D-EC40FEEC86D3.jpeg

B6BA7B98-4EE5-42B3-9001-791E7A438AD7.jpeg

AE6F61B9-EDD4-407B-8977-3FF83AEEB053.jpeg

E257616F-502E-4FBF-9B1A-35872EFB027F.jpeg

A9C006BA-BCB8-4681-83D3-C2086957508B.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2021 at 12:14 AM, RBootsMI said:

Very nice job, I like the gas tank fix. Sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do to get something working again. A fix like that, and the radiator will work just fine for what it will be used for now.

Thanks everyone. 
 

Darn right about doing what you gotta do... I like to try to make “what I gotta do” a reasonably quality repair and honestly, we gave up on that rad. They have I believe 141 tubes, we were down to 60 something left and every time we disturbed the core something else leaked. I’ll ask the owner if we can keep it as it only drips, but he wants to put coolant in and forget about it. It would be fine for us to play for a day, just keep a jug of water around. Anyways we ordered a few new cores from Bob at Fordson house, one for this tractor and a some projects of our own. The rad core that’s in this tractor now came of my personal F so this tractor could go out for the summer (I’m heading to sea till the end of August soon), I’ll install his new core then and reclaim my original at that time. Hope he doesn’t drive it into anything. I freed and peened the clutch so he’s got no excuse!!! She releases mint. That’s a must do on these wet clutches...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Suggestion , I watched the video, if this tractor is for an old greezer. He or she can’t move fast enough to get to the choke rod , your video shows that. You would have started that tractor immediately if not sooner with a front choke rod ,the one to the dash is useless In my opinion . Up to you and your customers, of course , just a suggestion. 
Including photos of mine for reference and amusement. 
good luck 

9C83B9D5-511F-4956-9DD0-04F88E201CC8.jpeg

A0BE6839-D27D-45BD-BAD2-AD13B3705034.jpeg

AB501E80-6596-4D66-9559-06F2B0BD7B54.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

Suggestion , I watched the video, if this tractor is for an old greezer. He or she can’t move fast enough to get to the choke rod , your video shows that. You would have started that tractor immediately if not sooner with a front choke rod ,the one to the dash is useless In my opinion . Up to you and your customers, of course , just a suggestion. 
Including photos of mine for reference and amusement. 
good luck 

9C83B9D5-511F-4956-9DD0-04F88E201CC8.jpeg

A0BE6839-D27D-45BD-BAD2-AD13B3705034.jpeg

AB501E80-6596-4D66-9559-06F2B0BD7B54.jpeg

It was on the to do list! And done! Not sure if you can see it in this pic but same idea as yours. (Still trying to figure out the thanks/like buttons and quote features here so hope I got that right...)
 

So I’ve been running and tuning her all day Sunday. Had a leaky float, soldered that up and finally sealed it. She runs OK, I’d say not as well as my 25 with a Kingston M-D, and nowhere near as well as a Zenith set up like my 27... the engine has excellent compression, bores were clean with no ridge. Valve job done and clearances set 0.020”, guides are questionable but the owner didn’t plan to go this far at the time, looking back he/we should have done them but in reality this tractor isn’t  going to run much. 
 

I find it’s very fussy on the mixture needle... more so than my M-D tractor. We tried a known good set of coils just to eliminate them, same, it runs the same on 12v battery or the flywheel mag also. To me it seems lean under load and rich at idle. If I had the dash mixture adjuster for it that would help. I find opening the needle a half turn when you want to drive and closing it half turn to sit and run helps a lot, just never had to do that on the other M-D... I’ll see what we can fabricate or get from Fordson house to solve that dash adjuster. 
 

The tractor will be back in a couple months for the rad core exchange so I will have another chance to address any issues then.  The owner is pretty handy and my father is retired and local so even if I’m away working at sea he will have some tech support for the summer.  

One other thing I noticed is this thing has a FAST 3rd gear! It’s basically useless it’s so fast and hard to pull away from a stop. I’ve never been so fast on a Fordson...

 

parked her in the “yard art/parts/project” line up for the evening. Other than the 10-20 she’s the only runner in that pic. One of these days I have to empty the storage barn and get the other runners out to stretch their legs. On my phone, not sure why the pics are upside flip...  I think she’s heading to her rightful home tomorrow. 

AE5E129B-4E22-4E95-B820-11C89DE0842E.jpeg

6791AC1C-89E3-4335-A1F9-F82EF9D76F7D.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone seen this monstrosity? Think it’s in Europe maybe??? Aside from the horrendous paint sceme, look at the magneto... I think they cut the F model timing cover away and the N model mag gear is running exposed... wonder how much oil that would leak and dirt would get in?

 

All one can ask is WHY? Seems it’s a museum? Tanks and other equipment in the background, tractor bolted to the ground, safety/vandalism Guards? How could they think a Fordson would be painted these colours! 
 

makes me a little sick...

B8616210-78CC-413A-93A2-597D79379296.jpeg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spent the day pulling stuff out of storage, my friends daughter just graduated high school and wants prom pics with old tractors/vehicles. think I can come up with 21 tractors and a few classic cars for tomorrow evening with a little jockeying around. 

D5E7830C-1D92-43A3-820B-28B1A607DBC1.jpeg

D597AEB1-C576-40E1-9045-0646B1D5CD22.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neat pictures and splendid   endeavour on that old Fordson ....

..couple of pictures from an  old sawmill   , a few miles from where I live...

Mike

post-157-1202462209.jpg

post-157-1202462476.jpg

post-157-1202462476.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2021 at 12:35 AM, AngrySailor said:

It was on the to do list! And done! Not sure if you can see it in this pic but same idea as yours. (Still trying to figure out the thanks/like buttons and quote features here so hope I got that right...)
 

So I’ve been running and tuning her all day Sunday. Had a leaky float, soldered that up and finally sealed it. She runs OK, I’d say not as well as my 25 with a Kingston M-D, and nowhere near as well as a Zenith set up like my 27... the engine has excellent compression, bores were clean with no ridge. Valve job done and clearances set 0.020”, guides are questionable but the owner didn’t plan to go this far at the time, looking back he/we should have done them but in reality this tractor isn’t  going to run much. 
 

I find it’s very fussy on the mixture needle... more so than my M-D tractor. We tried a known good set of coils just to eliminate them, same, it runs the same on 12v battery or the flywheel mag also. To me it seems lean under load and rich at idle. If I had the dash mixture adjuster for it that would help. I find opening the needle a half turn when you want to drive and closing it half turn to sit and run helps a lot, just never had to do that on the other M-D... I’ll see what we can fabricate or get from Fordson house to solve that dash adjuster. 
 

The tractor will be back in a couple months for the rad core exchange so I will have another chance to address any issues then.  The owner is pretty handy and my father is retired and local so even if I’m away working at sea he will have some tech support for the summer.  

One other thing I noticed is this thing has a FAST 3rd gear! It’s basically useless it’s so fast and hard to pull away from a stop. I’ve never been so fast on a Fordson...

 

parked her in the “yard art/parts/project” line up for the evening. Other than the 10-20 she’s the only runner in that pic. One of these days I have to empty the storage barn and get the other runners out to stretch their legs. On my phone, not sure why the pics are upside flip...  I think she’s heading to her rightful home tomorrow. 

AE5E129B-4E22-4E95-B820-11C89DE0842E.jpeg

6791AC1C-89E3-4335-A1F9-F82EF9D76F7D.jpeg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m so happy that you posted these journeys of Fordson restoration. It’s  very hard to find , and I’ve learn a lot from your post. I can’t help you to much cause my tractor has a 234 Holley float bowl  with a 280 mixer. Mis match but there isn’t a stock Fordson anywhere ,depression solve that .
Suggestion tip .starter, I've found that if I use 10 ml syringe ,suck up about 3ml ,injection into the 280 mixer port and it will start on 3/4 turn pull ,what more can an old guy ask for. I do that cold and hot .note can’t use syringe more than a few times cause gas swells  plunger but it’s the best way to measure the amount. 

many thanks to you ,Duane Helman,Fordson house, Keith Romeg ,my son Matt , others .

I've worked on mine for ten years or more to get it to run ,so slow , I’m happy with my journey, don’t give up or quit I say to newer people ,This was not an easy project for me be patient.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/27/2021 at 10:17 AM, 560Dennis said:

I’m so happy that you posted these journeys of Fordson restoration. It’s  very hard to find , and I’ve learn a lot from your post. I can’t help you to much cause my tractor has a 234 Holley float bowl  with a 280 mixer. Mis match but there isn’t a stock Fordson anywhere ,depression solve that .
Suggestion tip .starter, I've found that if I use 10 ml syringe ,suck up about 3ml ,injection into the 280 mixer port and it will start on 3/4 turn pull ,what more can an old guy ask for. I do that cold and hot .note can’t use syringe more than a few times cause gas swells  plunger but it’s the best way to measure the amount. 

many thanks to you ,Duane Helman,Fordson house, Keith Romeg ,my son Matt , others .

I've worked on mine for ten years or more to get it to run ,so slow , I’m happy with my journey, don’t give up or quit I say to newer people ,This was not an easy project for me be patient.

 

You’re absolutely right about no “stock” Fordsons existing. The manifold/mixer assembly on this tractor is a mash up of at least 3 different tractors and I think we can call that 4 if we count the throttle shaft and butterfly out of the green N... The tractor itself is chassis wise 1918, wheels and sheet metal are from a 1925 along with a few other miscellaneous parts.
 

 All my Holley parts are TOUGH shape... I’d have to dig to give you model numbers as I’m not as familiar with the Holley stuff, I’ve only worked on one better part of 20 years ago. I have A Holley here with the circular vapourizer plates but the manifold itself is nearly rotten away...
 

My Uncles bought out an OLD Ford dealership over 30 years ago (parts wise) I’ve got crates of Fordson “scrap” and unfortunately most of it is (nearly) scrap. Any one need a 30gal barrel of used valves and springs??!!I have boxes of Holley mixers but they’re rusted bad, broken or otherwise not easily serviceable. I honestly don’t think I can put together another complete manifold/mixer from these parts without epic machining, stitching and brazing.  Manifolds and radiators is what’s going to make Fordson restoration out of reach of the home hobbiest soon unfortunately. 
 

I’m also sure that working on yours for ten years was much more enjoyable than this project too. Not that we didn’t enjoy doing it, the owner is a friend who didn’t pressure us, but did ask for it done for display this summer. This was no problem thanks to our friend Trever who took care of all the sheet metal work. The man has the patience of a saint when I comes to tapping, banging and rubbing on sheet metal!  That said, she hit the dusty trail the other day after all our friends kids had prom pictures taken with the old stuff.  I’ve never seen so many well dressed people grace my home...

I have an F we plan get running next, we call it “the patina job”. It’s rusty but pretty complete. Thinking about flipping the Kingston regenerator upside down and mounting a Schebler carb to it. The goal is to get it running nearly “as is”, no paint, only mechanical.  

Here’s her final pics here for now, don’t have any of the prom pics yet though.  

9114C62F-D276-42EB-985F-851CFB716571.jpeg

D3337411-5226-47A9-9F2D-96A19E6482D6.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 1:16 AM, AngrySailor said:

You’re absolutely right about no “stock” Fordsons existing. The manifold/mixer assembly on this tractor is a mash up of at least 3 different tractors and I think we can call that 4 if we count the throttle shaft and butterfly out of the green N... The tractor itself is chassis wise 1918, wheels and sheet metal are from a 1925 along with a few other miscellaneous parts.
 

 All my Holley parts are TOUGH shape... I’d have to dig to give you model numbers as I’m not as familiar with the Holley stuff, I’ve only worked on one better part of 20 years ago. I have A Holley here with the circular vapourizer plates but the manifold itself is nearly rotten away...
 

My Uncles bought out an OLD Ford dealership over 30 years ago (parts wise) I’ve got crates of Fordson “scrap” and unfortunately most of it is (nearly) scrap. Any one need a 30gal barrel of used valves and springs??!!I have boxes of Holley mixers but they’re rusted bad, broken or otherwise not easily serviceable. I honestly don’t think I can put together another complete manifold/mixer from these parts without epic machining, stitching and brazing.  Manifolds and radiators is what’s going to make Fordson restoration out of reach of the home hobbiest soon unfortunately. 
 

I’m also sure that working on yours for ten years was much more enjoyable than this project too. Not that we didn’t enjoy doing it, the owner is a friend who didn’t pressure us, but did ask for it done for display this summer. This was no problem thanks to our friend Trever who took care of all the sheet metal work. The man has the patience of a saint when I comes to tapping, banging and rubbing on sheet metal!  That said, she hit the dusty trail the other day after all our friends kids had prom pictures taken with the old stuff.  I’ve never seen so many well dressed people grace my home...

I have an F we plan get running next, we call it “the patina job”. It’s rusty but pretty complete. Thinking about flipping the Kingston regenerator upside down and mounting a Schebler carb to it. The goal is to get it running nearly “as is”, no paint, only mechanical.  

Here’s her final pics here for now, don’t have any of the prom pics yet though.  

9114C62F-D276-42EB-985F-851CFB716571.jpeg

D3337411-5226-47A9-9F2D-96A19E6482D6.jpeg

I would have to see your Holley stuff cause it only thing I’m familiar with , I had to make the Holley 234 manifold 234 float bowl and 280 mixer work , thats all I have and it worked ,( it had to ,can t find so it’s going to stay that way , I’m only running gasoline and I’m think the tube of the vapors to mixer will get hot going up to mixer but the valve is always closed. Any how send me a private message we can go over what you have Holley to get you going if need arises.

also the 234 float bowls are extremely rare, 

the 234 manifolds are very easy to crack very thin I had to braze mine 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...