Anyone here pull a 656 for fun?

Considering pulling my 656 in the local pull this year for fun. I have lots of others that would probably be a better choice but this particular one has the d301 in it. That thing really does run good, and I've got it all painted up and pretty, so I'm considering it. Looks like they offer a 6000lb 15.5x38 class and a 6001-7500lb class 16.9x38. 

I'm almost positive mine just has 15.5x38" rubber on the back and I've never weighed it but curious if I can get it down to 6000lb with me on it. I've never been involved with pulling. What's my options here jump  to the 6001-7500lb class??  I'm just kicking it around and trying to educate myself here. Thanks 

TRACTORDATA says a 656 weighs between 6250# and 7230#.  So your within close and lots and lots of weight to loose.

Guy that Ken Updike knew really well followed a young guy all over the southern half of Wisconsin watching him pull his 686 years ago.  Not sure of any details on the tractor but if Ken sees this He could.

D301 is better than a D282, but still has things working against it like it's actually an Indirect injection engine,  looses some performance. The Nuess D310 used later was a direct injection engine,  they could be made to scream!

Be careful the bug will bite you.  Around here the 560 gasser seem to be the tough "stock tractors" to beat in the under 6000 lbs. class.  Tough to make NA diesel run as hard as they do.   You will have to learn how to out drive them, learn to read the track and how to set your tractor up.  Many times the guy most power get's beat by little guy that does a better job driving. Good luck and have fun.

• Like 2

It’s a little bit of work if you have a wide front and 3 point, but you could put a narrow front under it, and pull the 3 point arms off and then weight it for the 6000 lbs class, or leave everything alone, add some weights if needed and go play!

Go! Go and have fun. Dad took his 656 with 282 years ago for fun. It had 15.5's on it for farm duty. We took the wheels off and and the fenders and put on a set of 20.8 duals. Dad always thought his favorite tractor had way more power than it did. I told him we should put 18.4's on it not 20.8's. I couldn't go to the pull. When I asked him the next morning how he did, he said we should have left the 15.5's on it. He killed it at 125 feet in 2nd. He said man those 20's take way more power. I didn't give him the "I told you so" line, but I wanted to. I had a 560 diesel puller for years. I was not well liked as the ole heifer was hard to beat. Stock class no turbo, but lots of fuel and perfectly worn tires that were perfect for pulling. So go let er rip and have fun Dave!

• Like 1

I guess I need to go weigh it. Its cast centers and fluid filled rears I'm guessing im way over 6. Probably why I see guys with stamped steels and no 3point and alum fenders. So they can pull 6k class. I'm not expecting to win but it should be fun. I could pull my 756 with d310 turbo but honestly feel the 301 has it beat. Probably the extra rpm still setup from combine that makes the difference. Not sure my torque would appreciate the pull in 756. It's good but not sure just how good. Slated to be replaced this winter 

Go have fun with it. I’ve never pulled but I’ve had the same thoughts as you. I’d like to once for fun anyhow. 

• Like 1

I don’t know how big a pull you are going to, i pulled up through the 8500 lb class before i stopped standing a chance last transfer sled pull i went to with my M. All depends on who shows up. You might get lucky! I see guys show up with weight in the wrong place or just not real good at it getting taken by tractors that shouldn’t be able to. 

I pull my 656 gasser in 9K farm class once a year at the local fair or someone does a neighbor or friend of family, I have yet to run it but this year that will change.  I have 16.9 GY Radials which help alot.  I have a hitch fastened directly to the square tube and shim it to height accordingly.  I had it water jetted out of 1.25 steel and uses x2 3/4" bolts attached through the square tube.  I made it so I could adjust it forward and back depending on track conditions.  I can get you a picture at some point.  I run a belly bracket and quick hitch for Ballest.  I did however bend the square tube one year, I replaced it with 5/16" wall square tube sliced end to end and welded corner to corner.

I can usually be bottom of top ten out of 20 to 25 entries.  I expect it to do a bit better with punched out 263 to 291 that's right at about 94hp.  Better hope I never get 1st as dyno will throw me out we are allowed 10% hp and 5% on rpm.  I run 1st gear.

There have recently been some 1066 stripped down or a 1206 or a Deere take first in the class.  Its a fun to play and see what the small framed tractor will do in the 9K class.

I believe in the farm type classes the more weight is better with uncut tires.  That 656 will shine in a 7000 to 8000lb class imo.

This is my late neighbor pulling it back in 2013, don't mind the 666/686 front nose it is still a 656, this was 70hp dyno tuned 263. He was 4th I think?

Scott

20160814_130924.jpg

20160814_130935.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also check out the years for the pull, most of the pulls around here is classes 6500 and smaller are 1961 and older  for farmstock, different pulls have different rules . Unless your heavy there is no pull arpund here that would take a 656

1 hour ago, Rusty shackleford said:

Also check out the years for the pull, most of the pulls around here is classes 6500 and smaller are 1961 and older  for farmstock, different pulls have different rules . Unless your heavy there is no pull arpund here that would take a 656

Thanks rusty. I read the rules and nothing at all stated about age of the tractor. Pretty basic rules really. Must have pto, no weights can fall off, no hand cut tires, some drawbar height requirements, no fwd, loaders, etc. Nothing too major. They did say top 5 of each class will be checked with dyno. ?

May have to try for 5th to check my rig. Doubt it will. I'm not saying my little 656 is mean, just that I think it would be fun. This is I believe an open farm class. 

• Like 1

Need to see what other tractors are running in that class you want to pull in. Like mentioned above, guys will strip down a 1206 or 1066 lol! If you'd be pulling against 4010's 190's, 1750's and 560's it will be fun. If you have to run against 1066's and 4430's it'll be a whippin you wont like lol!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Injpumped said:

Need to see what other tractors are running in that class you want to pull in. Like mentioned above, guys will strip down a 1206 or 1066 lol! If you'd be pulling against 4010's 190's, 1750's and 560's it will be fun. If you have to run against 1066's and 4430's it'll be a whippin you wont like lol!

Yah that would be bad. But it says they have to have a working pto so that would be hard to strip a 1066 down to 7500lbs I would think. I'm sure it could be done.  They would also have to run 16.9 38's. 

Get your drawbar height as close to the max for the rules,try to pull about the middle of the class if you can so you can spend sometime watching some of the other pullers in your class. That way you can get an idea on the speed you can attempt and also where to go and not to go on the track . 

There are a couple of guys here locally do very well with "stock" 656 diesels , weighted right and taking it steady down the track, they aren't in a race by any means but do come near or at the top of the class.

@460

Hi Scott. Back around 1995 or so there were a couple from Michigan that pulled a 656 gas with the SWOTPA group. I saw her driving it in Brigden and it really ran great! Nice stock looking tractor with a NF and stamped steel rear wheels. I think they were from Capac? I have a picture somewhere in my archives.

5 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

@460

Hi Scott. Back around 1995 or so there were a couple from Michigan that pulled a 656 gas with the SWOTPA group. I saw her driving it in Brigden and it really ran great! Nice stock looking tractor with a NF and stamped steel rear wheels. I think they were from Capac? I have a picture somewhere in my archives.

Yes that was the late Morice and Shella Stine and always a strong competitor.

• Like 2

A 656 wouldn’t be my first choice for a pulling tractor, but the 301 will help. Pulling in a dyno class helps more. I think you would have to work hard to make 6000 pounds so the 7500 class would be better. I ran the 686 (312 diesel) in 7500 class with decent success for several years until guys started showing up with big cube big power built pullers. If you are not gear restricted, pull in second gear. Have fun and don’t get obsessed with winning; that gets expensive!!

21 hours ago, brewcrew said:

A 656 wouldn’t be my first choice for a pulling tractor, but the 301 will help. Pulling in a dyno class helps more. I think you would have to work hard to make 6000 pounds so the 7500 class would be better. I ran the 686 (312 diesel) in 7500 class with decent success for several years until guys started showing up with big cube big power built pullers. If you are not gear restricted, pull in second gear. Have fun and don’t get obsessed with winning; that gets expensive!!

Not necessarily my pulling tractor. But my 756 I'm afraid would be pulling against 1066's and 4020's for sure so not really fair there. All my larger tractors are not really an option as I rely on them too much. "1086-1486".  That's why I was leaning towards the little 656. Never know I am just thinking. Might just go and slam beers on the bench until I have trouble walking out. ?‍♂️

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

my 756 I'm afraid would be pulling against 1066

That's why my 766 didn't make a good puller.  Weighed real close to what a 1066 weighed but 54 cubic inches short of a ten.

12 hours ago, Steve C. said:

That's why my 766 didn't make a good puller.  Weighed real close to what a 1066 weighed but 54 cubic inches short of a ten.

That's my thoughts anyway. I never put this much thought into pulling but I think I can be the most competitive with my 656. 

So maybe this shoud be a new topic but... if you were gonna buy the "perfect" tractor to pull with in FARM CLASS what would it be? I want it to be diesel, and IH.  Here about 27 1066's show up and that's fine, but I'm a little more partial to 56 series, so I'd have to go with an 8-1256. I think there's not a prettier tractor in the world as a painted up 56 series.