New Holland plunger guide

MT Matt

Maybe someone can give me some pointers. Have a NH 320 baler, needed new plunger bearings and guides. The lower right guide as looking in from the rear located at the mouth of the feeder is no longer available from NH. I can’t seem to find any other baler that the part is common to either. One would think the part would be common to the other balers in that series. Guess not, the part # is different between balers. I have a wrecking yard nearby that has many NH balers for parts.  But they don’t have a 320.

Any ideas?  I don’t know that it can be flipped or turned end for end, I haven’t removed that guide yet. It looks worn though. I hate to spend all the money I have on everything else and not fix that part also. 

Any reason a new guide can’t be made from iron stock?  I have a pretty good machinist in town so I’d think we could copy the original. What have anyone else’s experiences been with this?

I use 1018 cold roller when I rebuild them 

That is one of the things i Like about New Holland, They tend to keep it simple 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

I use 1018 cold roller when I rebuild them 

That is one of the things i Like about New Holland, They tend to keep it simple 

Thanks, we will just build one then!

• Like 2

Which 320? Standard or hd?

Is it one of the thin ones, or the big thick one?

I use these folks, they are great!  Give them a call.  No website though.

And they ship you your parts, then you mail them a check.

16231077694524642893273383298985.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cobfly said:

Which 320? Standard or hd?

I have the HD version of the pto setup. As far as I know from review of the parts diagrams, the plunger setup is only different by a serial number break in the later baler. Besides the pto, are the knotters different?  Anything else?

I went through the mess at the front of the flywheel when the casting around the clutch dogs crumbled and the pto shaft snapped off. Instead of buying clutch disks, the PO tightened down the springs to lock up the entire system. Well, all **** broke loose from there. 

I like the baler, did 4600 bales last summer with only one miss when the knot from switching balls got into the twine holder. It will eat hay. Just needs maintenance, and to replace things that haven’t ever been replaced. 

F019C6B9-A1BC-40BF-B883-A4193514F273.thumb.jpeg.990787a7ed643853e75aa1b1b1778ecc.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Is it one of the thin ones, or the big thick one?

I use these folks, they are great!  Give them a call.  No website though.

And they ship you your parts, then you mail them a check.

16231077694524642893273383298985.jpg

It’s a thin bar. I’ve already ordered parts from Messicks.  Found the plunger bearings from a place in Iowa. One other was a National Bearing off Amazon, $70 instead of $121. The price difference is unreal if you can just figure out what the bearing number is. They don’t have to come from NH. The dealership parts guy tried to tell me that the cam follower bearing unit had to be replaced because “it’s all one piece”.  He didn’t seem impressed when I told him that’s $10 bearing that can be pressed off the stub.  Oh well, he didn’t get my money.

A friend who is 80 likes the challenge of making things and he’s as good of a machinist as I’ve ever seen. He will be able to make the guide, just need to get the old one out for him to copy.

Do you know if EHE just goes off NH list price or give you a better deal?  My local dealer is the same price as Messicks but are an hour away. Just as easy for me to have it shipped to me. 

that $70 is $30 if you can get around the redacted search, where scam us off is the top paying account

have only found super sale liquidation ,worth the click   most items can be had thru actual ad 30-70% cheaper direct, 80% DELIVERED

• Thanks 1

Did some of those balers have wood plunger guides? Fil had a NH 68 or 69 baler. Thought he said something one time about hardwood guides?

Yes I believe those two balers and older had wood guides. The Super series of those had rollers.  I have a 68 sitting in the yard covered up. Trouble with tying on one side, I didn’t know much about knotters back when it was parked but might be able to get it fixed now. Don’t really want to though.  I’ll take the trailer hitch and the chute off it then let it go.

I have the 320 and just traded some hay for a 273. Went through the 273 and it doesn’t seem worn, stuffed some straw into it and it made bales so I’ll take it to the field. Should start cutting at the end of the week and sprint for two months to put all the hay up I can. 

• Thanks 1

Thats a good lookin baler.  

Thing I like about Esch is they are more knowledgeable about these balers than most New Holland dealers.  I got a lot of good advice from them.

Here's ours, we rebuilt the plunger and chamber this winter.  800 bales so far this year, with nary a hitch.

20210216_174848.jpg

• Like 1

Matt I have not dealt with EHE but have seen equipment they manufacture . I think they are Mennonite or Amish. I doubt they base their price off of NH

1 hour ago, bitty said:

Matt I have not dealt with EHE but have seen equipment they manufacture . I think they are Mennonite or Amish. I doubt they base their price off of NH

Good to know, I’ll give them a try next time I need something. 

3 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Thats a good lookin baler.  

Thing I like about Esch is they are more knowledgeable about these balers than most New Holland dealers.  I got a lot of good advice from them.

Here's ours, we rebuilt the plunger and chamber this winter.  800 bales so far this year, with nary a hitch.

20210216_174848.jpg

I got all of the parts off today and the bottom guides aren’t anything special. Kinda wished I hadn’t bought the chamber bottom guide, could have just made it. Live and learn. 

Good to hear your rebuild is working as it should!