Cost of doing business

Lazy WP

When all our bearings are made in China, we will be unable to go to war. Bearings seem like small potatos but every vehicle of war and modern life depends on them. This should be a national security issue. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Because what it was really all about was a way to dodge emissions regulations . 

Yeah but haven't gliders been around for decades

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Yeah but haven't gliders been around for decades

Yes they have. I looked at a mid-90’s international with a B model Cat that was a factory glider.

This all reminds me of the conversation about the old green Steigers…everybody bragged about how they used “common, off-the-shelf parts”. The problem with this? They never seemed to go to the same shelf more than once. We deal with a lot of trucks at the dealership since there isn’t any truck shops within an hour’s drive. For supposedly using common parts, seems like every truck that comes in the door has something oddball/non-standard about it when it comes to getting the right parts. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, SDman said:

This all reminds me of the conversation about the old green Steigers…everybody bragged about how they used “common, off-the-shelf parts”. The problem with this? They never seemed to go to the same shelf more than once. We deal with a lot of trucks at the dealership since there isn’t any truck shops within an hour’s drive. For supposedly using common parts, seems like every truck that comes in the door has something oddball/non-standard about it when it comes to getting the right parts. 

Yes almost every truck was ordered with different axle , suspension or clutch options. We have a good truck owner and repair guy here in our town that will try to find you what you need. 

Reading this the only dog I’ve got in here is a Jacobs vacuum pump for a 5.9, Jacobs price was 1100.00, dodge was 1200.00, Napa Canada was 440.00 reman, and Napa Blaine was 285.00 reman. 

So I wasn’t sure about reman, I was thinking rebuilt, but the company, Cardone, which is out of Texas I believe, states their reman process is as tight and followed up with different tolerances to match the new made pumps, when I got it I was pleased and it’s been grief free for three years, I looked up their website and they seem to have everything from A to Z, these are just my minimal thoughts

• Like 2

One of the issues with off the shelf parts is that as the years go by the parts on the shelf change. Then add to the situation that manufacturers start phasing out certain parts it can be a real challenge keeping older trucks on the road.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

From what we can figure it has a Cascadia frame with Columbia body

My guess is they are parts they are no longer using for production and they build the glider kits with them to get rid of them and make $$$

So no telling what you get.

8 hours ago, SDman said:

Lets compound it...

Order a pto for a truck.  There is honestly a never ending list per trans #.  Then go an ask for rims for a 10 year old tractor.  At least 5 rims and 5 centers for most.  No serial # or build sheet to guide.

On 6/7/2021 at 12:05 PM, Rick G. said:

What do you mean your truck is a “glider”? More big time trucker inner circle jargon I need to learn about I guess. Lol

On 6/7/2021 at 1:17 PM, Rick G. said:

Ok, thanks. I learned something for today then. Sorry, I’m just not a big time trucker so not used to some of the inner circle truck world terminology. 

I didn't know either.  Always good to learn something new.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

I didn't know either.  Always good to learn something new.

The more the merrier, me neither, but I was to scared to ask.

2 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

The more the merrier, me neither, but I was to scared to ask.

I do know what a roller is, though.

25 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

I do know what a roller is, though.

Now there you go, so do I, that’s what I put in my hair to make it puffy for Saturday night.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ian Beale said:

Down here that is a slang term for a Rolls Royce.  Same thing?

My understanding is it's a car or truck that can be towed but not driven - as in a barn find classic car.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Steve C. said:

My understanding is it's a car or truck that can be towed but not driven - as in a barn find classic car.

And from my youth, a roller was a car without a motor/trans. 

Lot of old stock car guys would sell their race car to upgrade or whatever but keep the motor as that is where the real money was at. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, sandhiller said:

And from my youth, a roller was a car without a motor/trans. 

Lot of old stock car guys would sell their race car to upgrade or whatever but keep the motor as that is where the real money was at. 

Now that I think about it, most of the ones I've seen described as rollers were as you describe.  With the old Datsuns that I like the bodies are harder to find than the innards.

• Like 2

Gliders have been around for decades. I know since the 80’s and probably going on before that. There were lots of reasons to go that route instead of buying off the dealer lot and emissions or eld’s had nothing to do with them. That is the reason why you can’t get them new anymore though. They obviously got popular with the new laws and several businesses popped up to build them to your specs. If you built it yourself you could keep vin numbers of the trucks your drivetrain, and engine came from for parts but a business probably wouldn’t keep those records. Most shops were probably finishing the gliders with new parts minus the engine so there would be no vin numbers. 

46 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

Gliders have been around for decades. I know since the 80’s and probably going on before that. There were lots of reasons to go that route instead of buying off the dealer lot and emissions or eld’s had nothing to do with them. That is the reason why you can’t get them new anymore though. They obviously got popular with the new laws and several businesses popped up to build them to your specs. If you built it yourself you could keep vin numbers of the trucks your drivetrain, and engine came from for parts but a business probably wouldn’t keep those records. Most shops were probably finishing the gliders with new parts minus the engine so there would be no vin numbers. 

You run my vin and it gives you the motor, transmission and rear ends, but the frame and front end is all whopper jawed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

You run my vin and it gives you the motor, transmission and rear ends, but the frame and front end is all whopper jawed. 

I’m surprised there’s anything on it at all since it didn’t leave the factory with it. Makes me wonder how it’s entered. If a dealer can change numbers. 

38 minutes ago, Tmtbob said:

I’m surprised there’s anything on it at all since it didn’t leave the factory with it. Makes me wonder how it’s entered. If a dealer can change numbers. 

Dealer did it. My Pete said it had a Cat, but it was built in 2015, and Cat has not put an on highway motor in since 2010. 

On 6/10/2021 at 5:05 PM, Owen Aaland said:

One big reason for gliders was to repair trucks that had been severely damaged in an accident. The drive train was probably still OK so just swap that into a new chassis. 

This is also true..

12 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

The cost of doing business - in some other parts of the world bribes go in that pigeon hole

Here they just call them fines, permits or license to do business. I think a pigeon hole might be cheaper and get more done.