Jump to content

Cost of doing business


Lazy WP
 Share

Recommended Posts

I took last week off. Needed to do some maintenance on the truck and trailer before wheat harvest. Truck needed king pin bushings. A little slack in them, and I wanted to install a new Aliarc bumper that I bought. Since all of the bolts holding my old bumper on are Torx, I was going to have the shop install it. 
Well, my truck is a glider and that causes all sorts of issues. My wife is amazing at tracking parts down, and works in truck parts and has over 20 years experience. She looks up the bushings, but we have the mechanic order it. Wrong parts show up!!  WTH!! According to the VIN, I have a 12000 pound front end, I KNOW I have a 13000 pound front end. So we get on her computer and after 3 hours she found the correct parts. Great!

Next morning mechanic calls and says the frame mounts for the $3500 bumper are wrong!! The dealership that built the truck is the one that ordered the Aliarc. 2 days later a little box showed up with a couple of angle iron pieces that you are supposed to make work on the frame mounts. The mechanic says NO! He is not cobbling together a brand new bumper. 
Call the other mechanic who is working on my trailer. It needed some rivets replaced, brake shoes on the center axle, and a mudflap bracket welded up, as well as its annual inspection. Okay fine, my truck was in Nebraska and the trailer in Kansas, so I stopped Friday evening and paid the trailer bill so I could pick it up Sunday. $780, a bit more than I expected, but cheap enough. Before I get home, he called and said my king pin plate is worn and he can’t give me an inspection sticker until it’s changed. 
Cornhusker was closed Friday afternoon, so this morning I ordered a new plate, king pin, bolts and slick plate. $1700 plus freight!!

in a week, I spent over 8 grand for maintenance and deer protection and other then the bushings, nothing got completed. 
Yeah, fuel prices are high, but repairs are stupid and parts are ridiculously hard to look up and the cost having to order it twice just adds to it. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I took last week off. Needed to do some maintenance on the truck and trailer before wheat harvest. Truck needed king pin bushings. A little slack in them, and I wanted to install a new Aliarc bumper that I bought. Since all of the bolts holding my old bumper on are Torx, I was going to have the shop install it. 
Well, my truck is a glider and that causes all sorts of issues. My wife is amazing at tracking parts down, and works in truck parts and has over 20 years experience. She looks up the bushings, but we have the mechanic order it. Wrong parts show up!!  WTH!! According to the VIN, I have a 12000 pound front end, I KNOW I have a 13000 pound front end. So we get on her computer and after 3 hours she found the correct parts. Great!

Next morning mechanic calls and says the frame mounts for the $3500 bumper are wrong!! The dealership that built the truck is the one that ordered the Aliarc. 2 days later a little box showed up with a couple of angle iron pieces that you are supposed to make work on the frame mounts. The mechanic says NO! He is not cobbling together a brand new bumper. 
Call the other mechanic who is working on my trailer. It needed some rivets replaced, brake shoes on the center axle, and a mudflap bracket welded up, as well as its annual inspection. Okay fine, my truck was in Nebraska and the trailer in Kansas, so I stopped Friday evening and paid the trailer bill so I could pick it up Sunday. $780, a bit more than I expected, but cheap enough. Before I get home, he called and said my king pin plate is worn and he can’t give me an inspection sticker until it’s changed. 
Cornhusker was closed Friday afternoon, so this morning I ordered a new plate, king pin, bolts and slick plate. $1700 plus freight!!

in a week, I spent over 8 grand for maintenance and deer protection and other then the bushings, nothing got completed. 
Yeah, fuel prices are high, but repairs are stupid and parts are ridiculously hard to look up and the cost having to order it twice just adds to it. 

Welcome to 2021 and the ever complicating parts struggle.  I do AC work for a guy that has a bunch of Freightliner Classic and Pete gliders......they suck getting stuff for just like you experienced.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And how many times have others told you, "You owner/operators are livin` the dream"?

The parts fiasco in my shop ain`t much better.

The whole parts system/grid is tainted and the "good" parts people are getting few are far between.

Dunno what it is gonna take to heal it.

Been a week so far and MANY calls/emails/texts trying to find a simple master cylinder for an older F-700. 

Ford medium duty parts guys said it will cost $800ish but can`t find one.

Got one ace up my sleeve left and gonna play it today. 

$8k! Holy empty wallet Batman!

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got a friend that’s a pretty good mechanic when he’s sober. No he’s a great mechanic when he’s sober good when he ain’t. Anyway saw him the other day he told me a neighbor wanted him to do brakes on his dodge pickup. He tore it apart and went to order parts couldn’t find any. I think he said it was rotors he couldn’t get but not sure. He called every local parts shop, Napa, autozone, etc even tried online, rock auto, nothing anywhere. Put it back together with what it had and told the guy to be careful. This ain’t good. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never thought about glider trucks being an extra challenge. For sure it’s expensive to fix a heavy truck. I had mine in the shop for ten days, I wrote them a check for five grand and they didn’t have the bill totaled! I’ve got it back in for smaller stuff now. I fully expect the total to be five figures. Old trucks ain’t cheap to run OTR!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 1256pickett said:

I got a friend that’s a pretty good mechanic when he’s sober. No he’s a great mechanic when he’s sober good when he ain’t. Anyway saw him the other day he told me a neighbor wanted him to do brakes on his dodge pickup. He tore it apart and went to order parts couldn’t find any. I think he said it was rotors he couldn’t get but not sure. He called every local parts shop, Napa, autozone, etc even tried online, rock auto, nothing anywhere. Put it back together with what it had and told the guy to be careful. This ain’t good. 

Do you know what year dodge?  I just looked at a variety of years on Rockauto and rotors were no problem. I just ordered some dimpled and slotted ones for the wifes 09 Rav4 from brake performance and they were no problem to get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MTO said:

And how many times have others told you, "You owner/operators are livin` the dream"?

The parts fiasco in my shop ain`t much better.

The whole parts system/grid is tainted and the "good" parts people are getting few are far between.

Dunno what it is gonna take to heal it.

Been a week so far and MANY calls/emails/texts trying to find a simple master cylinder for an older F-700. 

Ford medium duty parts guys said it will cost $800ish but can`t find one.

Got one ace up my sleeve left and gonna play it today. 

$8k! Holy empty wallet Batman!

Would rebuilding be an option for the F-700 master?

https://whitepost.com/brake-sleeving-rebuilding-services/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What do you mean your truck is a “glider”? More big time trucker inner circle jargon I need to learn about I guess. Lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Do you know what year dodge?  I just looked at a variety of years on Rockauto and rotors were no problem. I just ordered some dimpled and slotted ones for the wifes 09 Rav4 from brake performance and they were no problem to get.

No I don’t know what year and I can’t remember if it was rotors or something else. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

What do you mean your truck is a “glider”? More big time trucker inner circle jargon I need to learn about I guess. Lol

You MUST be joking.?

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Rick G. said:

What do you mean your truck is a “glider”? More big time trucker inner circle jargon I need to learn about I guess. Lol

A "glider" truck is when you have a fresh engine, transmission, and rear ends, but your frame and cab is shot. You buy a new cab and frame and put your drivetrain in it.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rick G. said:

What do you mean your truck is a “glider”? More big time trucker inner circle jargon I need to learn about I guess. Lol

New cab and chassis, rebuilt engine, trans and rear ends. The feds have put the cabosh on them now.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, WaynefromWi said:

A "glider" truck is when you have a fresh engine, transmission, and rear ends, but your frame and cab is shot. You buy a new cab and frame and put your drivetrain in it.

Ok, thanks. I learned something for today then. Sorry, I’m just not a big time trucker so not used to some of the inner circle truck world terminology. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those of us who operate rare or specialty also have the problem of available mechanics to make repairs out of our reach.

 

We have a 2001 Gillig Transit Bus quasi converted into an RV so it can be licensed as non commercial. I am in Texas and the bus is at a storage lot in Arkansas.  I call a local to the bus, truck / bus place to repair a rear wheel seal on the 23,000 # rear axle, very common axle and a common failure after many miles, most operators replace the seals when the brake shoes are replaced.  Dispatcher says no big deal they will send a driver to pick up the bus and move it to their shop and send me an email when they get the real estimate for the repair.  At the end of the day they sent me an email wanting to use a commercial mover at $450. to move the 2 miles to their shop because the bus has an electrical issue and they could not get it started.  I called the storage guy and he said they sent someone to pick up the bus who did not know how to start it because they wanted him to start it. He also said they obviously did not know anything about bus based RV's.  I pulled the plug on the repairs and paid them $250. for the work the did attempting to start the bus.  I went up to Arkansas, to see what the issue was a found a 800A main battery fuse was blown. My belief is they attempted to jumper a  bus 24 V system with a 12V charger/jumpstart system.  That fuse was not available in that area for several days so I returned to Texas to get the part. Basically trip  cost and money to the shop accomplished nothing except I did learn where all the fuses were located and the electrical service manual was accurate.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

New cab and chassis, rebuilt engine, trans and rear ends. The feds have put the cabosh on them now.

Because what it was really all about was a way to dodge emissions regulations . 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I expect if the electric cars really catch on,  there will many perfectly good cars at u-pullet with good bodies and dead batteries.  Enterprising folks will replace the expensive batteries with old car motors and create a similar issue to the gliders except on a larger scale.

Truck gliders were basically new registration vehicles using old non-smog motors, I also disagree with that, old truck with old motor would have been legal, and still is.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I work for a parts store delivering parts 3 days a week and we send in orders and only get about a 3rd of what we order.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And to cap off the repair bill, the parts we get nowadays, are junk! This Chinese built or reman stuff is straight up trash!!

I wanted a new leveling valve for my W900, called Kenworth, only sell aftermarket, I don’t want aftermarket, that’s all we sell he says.  So now we don’t even get a say in what we get, just Chinese overpriced $hit!

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

...do you blokes remember the  "Mack "  product...from   Allentown     Pa...???

...I do not recall how many came to New Zealand....(the second (new)  one I brought was #199 ..)...they  came in CKD   and forgot to bring in the old US domestic 9 speed box....all had 12 speed and the last I brought had 18 speed box.....

Maintenance costs  were minimal over the engine life....(Hour meters in the trucks...one turbo failure  @ 12,000  hrs......and one injection pump failure.....replaced by Mack at zero cost...)

Because our roads are so bloody bad.....the European     trucks were popular.....more comfortable...and another factor was the constant ferry crossing between   North and South Islands .....for frieight and stock  particularly.....cost the conventional truck operators  every time compared with the 'cab -over ' trucks.....

Overall the Mack product...gave the operator a far better bottom line , than other franchises

If you blokes are having issues with truck parts over in the US.....imagine the grief  here , down under , to get parts for FreightLiner/KW etc

18sp   320  Mack

Mike

post-157-1224057393.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jass1660 said:

New cab and chassis, rebuilt engine, trans and rear ends. The feds have put the cabosh on them now.

I wanted to buy a 2015 Pete 389 day cab lowboy tractor glider from a guy in Omaha in 2016 till we got to Peterbilt has to do all the work installing motor trans .

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Because what it was really all about was a way to dodge emissions regulations . 

And the e-logs......

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Rick G. said:

What do you mean your truck is a “glider”? More big time trucker inner circle jargon I need to learn about I guess. Lol

Everyone else has answered somewhat correctly IMO, but the reason I went with a glider is for a more reliable engine. 
I know Lorenzo brags about the DEF in his ag tractors, but worse case for him is the crap freezes up and he has to walk a mile. If mine froze up, I die!! I rarely travel busy highways, and do a lot of driving well after what little traffic has gone to bed. 
I am willing to wager mega bucks, that over 80% of the newer trucks in the shop are because of emissions garbage. With my truck, they put a fresh factory reman motor in. The transmission was pulled apart and rebearinged.  Used drivers. 
Dealer in North Platte Nebraska put it together. From what we can figure it has a Cascadia frame with Columbia body. The company who it was built for has been doing gliders since they bought their first 12.7 Detroit. 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Everyone else has answered somewhat correctly IMO, but the reason I went with a glider is for a more reliable engine. 
I know Lorenzo brags about the DEF in his ag tractors, but worse case for him is the crap freezes up and he has to walk a mile. If mine froze up, I die!! I rarely travel busy highways, and do a lot of driving well after what little traffic has gone to bed. 
I am willing to wager mega bucks, that over 80% of the newer trucks in the shop are because of emissions garbage. With my truck, they put a fresh factory reman motor in. The transmission was pulled apart and rebearinged.  Used drivers. 
Dealer in North Platte Nebraska put it together. From what we can figure it has a Cascadia frame with Columbia body. The company who it was built for has been doing gliders since they bought their first 12.7 Detroit. 
 

Sorry to hear about your parts troubles.  We have a very good spring shop close to us and we get all that kind of stuff for them.  We have a 1998 Freightliner that has 13,200 I think front end with kingpins that seem to only fit it.  First time we changed those it took done figuring to get the right parts.  We have two gliders for feed mixer trucks just for the reason you said -reliability.  One has 30k hours on a Cummins reman.  Mixer box is close to worn out and they want me to put a new one on that truck and keep running it.  We are feeding cows with a magnum 250 that has DEF and it is working okay buts it only has 2000 hours so far.  That motor is has no EGR and just has a wastegate turbo ( no VGT) all the after treatment is done in the exhaust.  That is a big reason it was choose for the job.  IMHO EGR is bad news for engine longevity. 

 

5 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

And to cap off the repair bill, the parts we get nowadays, are junk! This Chinese built or reman stuff is straight up trash!!

I wanted a new leveling valve for my W900, called Kenworth, only sell aftermarket, I don’t want aftermarket, that’s all we sell he says.  So now we don’t even get a say in what we get, just Chinese overpriced $hit!

That TRP stuff Kenworth and Peterbilt wants to sell is all over the place for quality.  I bought two passenger side window regulator for a Peterbilt .  Neither on lasted very long like 3 months.    I finally got them to get me an actual PACCAR one.  Been like 2 years no trouble. It was 3X the money.  This 30- 35 dollar Chinese brake chambers all the dealers want sell what a joke those are.  We bought a couple of used trucks with them on they lasted about 6 months.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...