Auction results in NE-766,886,5140,5240 mfwd

Joninva

$40K for the 5140 -- that is nuts.  About the same or maybe a few more hours than when my brother bought his 5140 15 years ago -- for not much more than half that.

29 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

$40K for the 5140 -- that is nuts.  About the same or maybe a few more hours than when my brother bought his 5140 15 years ago -- for not much more than half that.

All depends on geographical location. 

Also , right now if you go to the local IH dealer to look at tractors you won’t find any . And I mean NONE !!! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Guess my 5250 mfd with loader was a bargain.  Insane prices at that sale.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

All depends on geographical location. 

Also , right now if you go to the local IH dealer to look at tractors you won’t find any . And I mean NONE !!! 

Local JD dealer just sold to a mega-chain(aka mother Deere) The yard went from having a decent selection of Ag equipment to barely having any equipment in a matter of 60-90 days. I’m betting the parts inventory did the same…

the days of a dealer actually having what you need a coming to an abrupt end.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Local JD dealer just sold to a mega-chain(aka mother Deere) The yard went from having a decent selection of Ag equipment to barely having any equipment in a matter of 60-90 days. I’m betting the parts inventory did the same…

been 15 yrs since ole md mandated, little to 0 off brand on the lot.trade if at all ,strait to auction.

just submit and buy new every two

• Thanks 1

The 766 was nice but 24,500 is a lot of money.

I thought that 9,000 for the 544 Hydro Diesel rowcrop that had sleeve cavitation issues was way more than too much for it. 

Definitely glad I don't own any of the tractors that sold there, nice but too expensive.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Holy sheeeiiit, 24k for a 766? 

I’m with you.  Seems like you would have be able to pay cash for that.  I can’t see a bank loaning 24k on a 766.  Seems like if you were in business to make a profit it would be hard to make that pencil out.  I know it may be considered more reliable than a new tractor with electronics but wow that’s a lot of money.  

In 92 we bought a demoed 5140 mfd ,PS , cab, bar axles, 2 remotes for 41 or 42 k . That's insane for that , probably only a few hours away from needing a PTO rebuild

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Were family fighting over them?  Link didn't take me to it directly and I wasn't searching, but if you halved those numbers they are more in reality................

No family wasn't fighting over them.  The 5240 and 886 went to different places in Kansas.   A brother did buy the 5140 but no other family members were bidding on it.  The 766 went 30 miles away.

20 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Our local Deere dealer was part of that chain's creation last year.  I haven't seen any change for the worse in parts, but a sales guy told me they almost entirely stopped selling tractors over the winter because they couldn't get inventory.  Unfortunately but probably predictably they seem to be de-emphasizing the other brands they carried as an independent dealer.  It was like pulling teeth trying to get a quote on a Kuhn mower and after getting strung along for way too long I just abandoned trying to buy it there entirely.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Exact same story here.  They cleared out the lot in 3 weeks.  Took everything to local auction guy.  Now few mowers and 300r tractos is all left.  Seems goofy

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Black Shuck said:

Our local Deere dealer was part of that chain's creation last year.  I haven't seen any change for the worse in parts, but a sales guy told me they almost entirely stopped selling tractors over the winter because they couldn't get inventory.  Unfortunately but probably predictably they seem to be de-emphasizing the other brands they carried as an independent dealer.  It was like pulling teeth trying to get a quote on a Kuhn mower and after getting strung along for way too long I just abandoned trying to buy it there entirely.

If people are commenting about used inventory disappearing in the last few months that has mostly to due with factories being shut down for COVID so a depletion of new inventory forcing buyers into the used market coupled with high commodity prices giving farmers more money to spend.  There are dealers that are trying to avoid taking in trades but it is not brand or color specific.  Dealers have trimmed parts inventory but that has nothing to do with brand.  I run a JD 7000 planter and not that long ago any JD dealer was deep in 7000 parts but twice this spring  the local dealer had to order parts that used to be stock.  I farm in an area where many 7000's are still in use unlike the Midwest.  The NH dealer has seriously cut inventory from what I am told but small dairies are all but gone so there is no need to stock parts for 30 year old small dairy equipment that now might sell once every two years.  Your Kuhn issue might have more to do with skyrocketing steel prices and factory schedule than jerking around a guy who has a few red tractors.  Nobody wants to quote unless the machine is ready to be loaded on a ship or truck.

Carrying inventory costs money and eats into profits. These operations are all about maximizing profits for both the parent company and any local investors they may have. Key word being maximizing. MAX - I - MIZ - ING.

Besides that, who cares if there isn't a bunch of overpriced used up junk sitting in the yard? The local Massey dealer had just about every piece of used equipment he took in on trade since he took over the business from his father in the 1950's. It was a junkyard, but if you wanted anything, it was worth its weight in gold. Since he passed and his kids are running the business the yard has been cleaned up and there is nothing but late model equipment on the lot. Still a lot of used up junk.

The new equipment is at the main store. They have the ability to move it to wherever it needs to be quickly if there is an interested buyer.

10 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Carrying inventory costs money and eats into profits. These operations are all about maximizing profits for both the parent company and any local investors they may have. Key word being maximizing. MAX - I - MIZ - ING.

Besides that, who cares if there isn't a bunch of overpriced used up junk sitting in the yard? The local Massey dealer had just about every piece of used equipment he took in on trade since he took over the business from his father in the 1950's. It was a junkyard, but if you wanted anything, it was worth its weight in gold. Since he passed and his kids are running the business the yard has been cleaned up and there is nothing but late model equipment on the lot. Still a lot of used up junk.

The new equipment is at the main store. They have the ability to move it to wherever it needs to be quickly if there is an interested buyer.

People need to realize that this is not 1950 or 1970 or 1980 whether it be for IH or JD or MF or whatever.  There are not 100 66 series tractors in use in any one dealer's store territory to stock oil filters for.  For Monroe Tractor around here anyways I would call ahead to make sure that there was in fact oil filters on hand for a 1066 before I drove a half hour to their store.  They make some attempt to stock tillage hardware but again I would call ahead for five 16 inch shares for a 720 plow after the weather has been nice enough to plow for several days.  Parts inventory for any dealer is geared for their top customers.  In the case of Monroe Tractor that would be large grain and veg crop farmers and large dairies.  The bin space that might have been allocated for a 45 year old tractor many years prior has been repurposed for support for a Claas chopper or Krause disk.  

• Like 1

was also told that new holland is going to discontinue the rolabar rakes, i see there are a lot of choices for rakes now days but it sure was a standard for years, plus the way the diary situation is going many guys are going out with 30 footer and plus mergers, no time to take a 10 foot swath anymore,

3 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Exact same story here.  They cleared out the lot in 3 weeks.  Took everything to local auction guy.  Now few mowers and 300r tractos is all left.  Seems goofy

Yea. Especially when used machinery is bringing a premium for nice stuff. 

24 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Yea. Especially when used machinery is bringing a premium for nice stuff. 

Around here they all take used equipment to the area auctions.  The NH dealer especially.  From what I hear creditors have become real stiff with dealers on operating notes.  If a dealer has got a 50,000 dollar note due within 60 days and they know that they will not have the cash......................

Whenever people complain of no equipment or tractors in stock, just  what is supposed to be stocked? 

30-40 years ago just how many options were on a tractor?  Pretty much just seat suspension, TA or not, cab, mfwd, A/C, #of remotes was it.  Ever look at an option list of a nee tractor?  It would likely take a whole page to type it out.  

That same issue boils down to parts.......theres no parts that fits a machine for years across different models anymore.  

Red or green, i can get about anything i want stock ordered in 3 days, or the next day with shipping added.  Honestly thats not too bad.   Its life, and thats the way it is. 

The industry has only become what we all have made it.  

Frankly I think it's more about quantity than options. Where there was once a dozen small farms each with their own full line of equipment that was in constant need of parts, repair, and upgrading, is now a BTO with two full lines of much larger equipment. Where there were once 30 tractors, there are now 4 tractors. A dozen moldboard plows replaced by one or two chisel plows. A dozen pull type forage harvesters replaced by a custom operator, so in reality ZERO locally owned forage harvesters.

There are a smattering of small guys trying to eek out a living, but they're not buying anything. They can't afford to, not that there's much in the way of new equipment that they can pull with their 100-150HP tractors, and what there is out there is ridiculously expensive.