Jump to content

886 with the 360 vs the 358


pt756
 Share

Recommended Posts

how are they with the 360? i see tractor data shows 95 horse, just seems like all the rear end problems would be less with the smaller tractor, use to have a 1486 , would like an 86 series again, i wonder if it would handle the 1431 discbine, we now have the 1066 on it,  would it be gutsy than the 5240 maxum

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had a 1066, and have a 5140.  Flat out, the 1066 could out power the 5140.  Both held to PTO speed, the 5140 had the edge.  I very much doubt an 886 will have the same power as a 5240.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

should of asked compared to an 856, ours is getting tired, would like another one in better shape, always hear more reasonable to overhaul a 400 series motor than the 407 dry sleeve,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some would argue that the D360 is only one step down from a 1066, that a 766 will outperform a stock 966.

I've read a lot that the D360 has better torque and lugging ability than the D358. I've never knowingly run a D358 myself, but I've run a couple of D360's.

Retired neighbor farmer just bought a beautiful early 886 with a D360 to bale hay for his horses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Some would argue that the D360 is only one step down from a 1066, that a 766 will outperform a stock 966.

I've read a lot that the D360 has better torque and lugging ability than the D358. I've never knowingly run a D358 myself, but I've run a couple of D360's.

Retired neighbor farmer just bought a beautiful early 886 with a D360 to bale hay for his horses.

A D358 can hang right in there too. We have a 786 with the 358. It runs out of traction before you run out of power. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I own an 886 with the mfwd, it will pull a loaded hydra push manure spreader through the mud and bog down, but it always seems to have plenty of power. The 358 is an amazing engine when it is healthy and true running. Ours cane to us with around 7500 hours and I overhauled it two winters ago because it dropped a valve. Overhaul kits were about 500 more than that of a 360, but not terrible to assemble. Hard parts, i.e. the head, block, etc are a little scarce, but little more plentiful than that of the 360.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

I will add too that the 358 is very fuel efficient. It will blow silage all day on half a tank. 

I drove my 826 hydro on an 85 mile tractor ride last weekend through the hilly NE Iowa country.   I was surprised that I only used 1/3 tank of fuel.  That 358 did well pushing that hydro.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

A D358 can hang right in there too. We have a 786 with the 358. It runs out of traction before you run out of power. 

Slap a turbo on there and watch her go . She’ll give a 1086 a run for her money and sip the fuel I first thought my gauge wasn’t working. 

B75A4C7B-E7FC-4319-B5D2-F65E2627D20D.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, ky966boy said:

Slap a turbo on there and watch her go . She’ll give a 1086 a run for her money and sip the fuel I first thought my gauge wasn’t working. 

B75A4C7B-E7FC-4319-B5D2-F65E2627D20D.jpeg

I can't remember. Was it a M&W turbo on it? Or something else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had a 5240 and an 886 with the 360, the 5240 would out do it in a dead pull until we replaced the 886 injection pump with an inline pump. After that the 886 had the edge when you came into hard ground and needed the low end power 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

I can't remember. Was it a M&W turbo on it? Or something else?

It says T04 or something like that on it . It’s homemade set up for sure . Works and comes out original hole .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, pt756 said:

were 86 series evr with out a cab? once in awhile you will see an 886 without a cab but will have a front windshield,

886 and up had a 4-post ROPS or a full cab. The 4-post ROPS could be equipped with a "Windbreaker" enclosure which included the windshield, canvas doors and windows, along with side curtains for the engine compartment to direct engine heat up to the cab.

Regulation at the time was anything over a certain horsepower had to be equipped with a ROPS. Like you'd be crushed any less flat under a 786 than an 886, but that was the rule.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the cut off was under 80 hp for no ROPS.

 

786 had cool looking round grab bars/guards from platform to dash when not equipped with ROPS 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It will be a little less gutsy than an 856, the 856 is more comparable to a 966 & 986, which replaced the 856 technically. The 886 replaced the 826 so to speak. All within 10 pto hp. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2021 at 9:16 PM, pt756 said:

how are they with the 360? i see tractor data shows 95 horse, just seems like all the rear end problems would be less with the smaller tractor, use to have a 1486 , would like an 86 series again, i wonder if it would handle the 1431 discbine, we now have the 1066 on it,  would it be gutsy than the 5240 maxum

We had a 1431 NH disc one.  Our D358 powered 886 would handle it okay in flat ground but it would run warm pulling it in hilly fields.  We eventually put the 1086 on the discbine and put the 886 on the round baler.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...