Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains

BrodyNC

Has anyone on here ever been to Cades Cove national park in Tennessee? In the park there is an 11 mile one way loop road you can ride down slowly and watch for wildlife and look at old barns and cabins. 

Dad went there dozens of times as a kid and I’ve been twice. Riding through the Cades Cove loop road is my favorite thing to do for a vacation. You get to the one way loop road by driving about 10 miles away from the closest town, Townsend Tennessee.

Along the loop road we spotted many deers, black bears, and turkeys. Spotted one coyote and saw a pasture of horses once. The second picture is a black bear in a tree we spotted along the road leading into the park and loop road. 

EBE29E10-D9A6-4EF6-AB07-44FF283E4190.jpeg

1666F931-F5E4-410B-914F-A922074204C7.jpeg

BCCC5C35-6DDF-449F-ACB9-64E125DC1937.jpeg

0C4DD7D1-518E-4D52-A6C2-76DEA748D645.jpeg

FD4F0D76-42A6-497C-B9C5-7EF2DD935FBA.jpeg

43EED039-DAA7-4D56-9320-41FDB32A6F58.jpeg

E8A11948-F334-49DA-AEE8-1281D2E871AE.jpeg

51947256-73D9-4A45-80B5-40F4D040AC05.jpeg

B880BDCF-A499-42B7-8AC2-1CEFB02D9A08.jpeg

1B92FDF8-13F2-4A1C-A1A4-DCB509861ADB.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Been in the area before. It’s a pretty spot. Used to go to LBL a few times a year and run around on fire roads in our Jeeps years ago. 

edit....gee whiz dope (me)....  I was waaaaay off. I could have sworn there was an area called that in the KY Lake area. My bad.  Nice pics and a pretty looking area. 

• Like 1

• BrodyNC changed the title to Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains

..neat place is Tennessee......visited that State many times following the 2005 RPRU   in Lebanon....(whilst working  offshore....)

Those pictures are very nice.....sort of reminds me of the Tennessee Park Way  'drive ' before the major construction started....

....the local  folk have ...to my uncultured  ear,.....amusing  accents .......:)

Mike

• Like 2

Back in the 1980’s my first wife and I were visiting the Smokies and were driving that loop road in Cades Cove, stopping occasionally to take in the views. At one point we were up higher looking down upon the grassy fields of the cove below. There was a car parked way down there right out in the open field and a couple were out on a blanket next to their car stark naked going to town doing it. We had binoculars on our trip, so we watched for a couple minutes. Lol. It was a beautiful sunny day. 

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, mike newman said:

..neat place is Tennessee......visited that State many times following the 2005 RPRU   in Lebanon....(whilst working  offshore....)

Those pictures are very nice.....sort of reminds me of the Tennessee Park Way  'drive ' before the major construction started....

....the local  folk have ...to my uncultured  ear,.....amusing  accents .......:)

Mike

Now just what do you mean by that, Mike?!

• Haha 3

Never been there but always wanted to visit that part of the country! A friend of mine lives over in that direction and is a pro. photographer of wildlife and nature in general.

• Like 2

Pretty sure we were there or somewhere very much like it. We did Dollywood and the surrounding area probably 5 years ago or so.

• Like 1

My wifes most favorite place in the whole world.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Now just what do you mean by that, Mike?!

Mister     Hillbilly , Suh  !   .......I really meant  no harm...:(...I realise that this comment could be construed as racist /sexist/homophobic/ Ford N phobic  and a host of other  "phobic"  terms illustrating  the sheer magnitude of stupidity  , that is now the'' norm ''...for the human race.......:blush:

I digress....when working tn the Caribbean , I had  a unit  in a large "condominium"....In the same  "condo '   there was a frequent visitor   (many , in fact ...)..this one  from the State of  Tennesssee....I had a yarn to him....by chance, on a Sunday afternoon....down at the Condo's  fleet of Kayaks......He was a real nice bloke......heavily involved  with the State Senator of that era  (2004)....I asked him, I hoped  , some meaning full questions     about  US Politics  and about his State....as I was heading there to buy Machinery for the Company I was working for....(Prior  to  2005  RPRU  )...thus  he offered many neat places to visit....Thus over the three years I worked   in the Caribbean...had many visits to  your State..including the  RPRU   ...with  my wife ......and we had a wonderful time over the two week period on that trip.. Obviously the  RPRU was a major highlight...the old Cook was not to sure a bout   "Three days with tractors"...But the Show's organisers    had the women..the wives    full on  with bus trips..Brilliant

Rode around with  JD  (Jere  )Humm    in his golf cart...another good bloke who m I met with other  RP blokes.........Great Fun  !!!...

..and then   I had the "local " men    telling me that I talked "funny" ....It was funny allright .......great talking with all the blokes...including a Member from Tn    that I haven't seen on the forum for years......But those  accents  !!!!!! bloody hilarious   at times..I reckon some of them sort of accentuated  their "twangs"   for my benefit  .....:D

OK...that is my defense in this matter.....If anyone. from the State of Tennessee requires an apology from me .....we will just have to sit down over a cup of black tea and further discuss   the matter.....:rolleyes:

Mike    (with the funny Kiwi accent )

• Haha 1

Went through there in 2011 with family. We went in a cabin I think was directly across from the cantilevered barn in your picture. It was in January so ice was on the ground. Up the stairs i go to look around. Told my wife to be careful going down the stairs, about that time my feet came out from under me and there i was sitting on my rear with breath knocked out of me. Back hurt like heck so 2 weeks later go to doctor for xrays. 3 vertebra had compression fractures. Butt was bruised black as any tire you have ever seen. Memories.

• Sad 2

Been there multiple times. It can get really crowded. I like going to catalooche, it's on the NC side. It's smaller than Cades Cove, a little more difficult to get to but also less crowded. We always see elk when we are at catalooche either in the fields or on the mile hike to the woody house. And for the more hiking oriented there is an area only accessible by hiking called little catalooche. I think it's like a 4 mile hike each way up and over a ridge. There are a few more structures and you are pretty sure to be away from most all of the other park guests. 

• Like 1

I went there once.  Had some pretty company with me on a pretty day.  Was a nice drive.  Other than the bear, I can walk out my door and see everything else in the field in front of me (picture).  Just last night, took dogs out for their last round and there were about 15 deer in this field, while I was taking the smallest (and near blind) dog out....so she didn't get excited about the deer and the deer just ignored us

NOW, when I take the big dogs out, one being a Great Pyrenees (sp?) SHE will go into chase mode and just about pull you over if you're not ready to defend your life.

I found the geography of Cade's Cove pretty uninteresting (since again, I have most of it out my back door) however, I DID enjoy the dwellings I saw.

Field.jpg

• Like 1

Cades Cove is a very nice place and the drive is nice, however a few inconsidered people can certainly dampen your mood. 

Why would you stop on the road way, knowing very well there is a solid line of cars behind you, get out, sit on the fence, take pictures, maybe a few dozen of the family, dog, wildlife, trees....and ..... hopefully no one spotted the bear curled up in the field sleeping.....which turned out to be a big rock!

Meanwhile, one of the other 30 or more cars in front of your car will stop and does just about the same thing.

There are very few spots where the road is wide enough to pass a stopped car that's hogging the center of the little road.

It's a great place and I would probably do it again, but........don't even think about making that loop if you have dinner plans or need to relieve yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, carmine@1945 said:

Cades Cove is a very nice place and the drive is nice, however a few inconsidered people can certainly dampen your mood. 

Why would you stop on the road way, knowing very well there is a solid line of cars behind you, get out, sit on the fence, take pictures, maybe a few dozen of the family, dog, wildlife, trees....and ..... hopefully no one spotted the bear curled up in the field sleeping.....which turned out to be a big rock!

Meanwhile, one of the other 30 or more cars in front of your car will stop and does just about the same thing.

There are very few spots where the road is wide enough to pass a stopped car that's hogging the center of the little road.

It's a great place and I would probably do it again, but........don't even think about making that loop if you have dinner plans or need to relieve yourself. 

AGREED!  It was a great trip, except for the people.

Pretty much the same at any popular National Park.  There is total resistance from the park service to develop more areas within the parks for easier visitor access. So, more and more people are squished into the spaces that were developed 50 years ago. The great smoky mtns nat park comprises 525,000 acres. How much of that is developed? 250, maybe, I have no idea. Yellowstone is 2,220,000 acres. Out of that, there isn't a place for another loop road and some more campgrounds????  Same with wilderness areas, what is the point of preserving it with taxpayer money when the average taxpayer can't go there. Or, finds the experience more crowded and frustrating than where they live? I'm not saying it would be possible to enlarge all of them, but where it could be done, it should. Flame suit on.

• Like 1