shipping costs

pt756

was at local daiiry breakfast this morning, talked to a guy that has a plastic business, sidewall tires, all the stuff for bunker silos, claimed shipping costs have doubled and tripled in the past few months if you can get a container even, so who is making all this extra money, i know we will pay in the end ,and by the way probably 2000 k people served, a 30 mile an hour wind blowing and still a few people 3 or 4  are  following dr faucis advice about fave coverings, anyway what a turnout i think the people were ready for an outing,

3 minutes ago, pt756 said:

was at local daiiry breakfast this morning, talked to a guy that has a plastic business, sidewall tires, all the stuff for bunker silos, claimed shipping costs have doubled and tripled in the past few months if you can get a container even, so who is making all this extra money, i know we will pay in the end ,and by the way probably 2000 k people served, a 30 mile an hour wind blowing and still a few people 3 or 4  are  following dr faucis advice about fave coverings, anyway what a turnout i think the people were ready for an outing,

The people with the money are the ones best positioned to make more money.   If you can just alter your portfolio to the sectors that are profitable rather than working in 1 particular industry or building a business then you are in good shape.

• Like 2

Along this topic I read somewhere (I know I know about researching) tgat Amazon has been throwing extra money to get their containers loaded/unloaded priority.  
now I can believe that, but am also skeptical that it’s true. Just seemed like someone throwing a dart at that outfit.

Plastics are made from petroleum,  and the trucks it's shipped on burn fuel made from petroleum,  and Sleepy Joe's first day's executive order killed the pipelines.  Tires, paint, rubber, all made from petroleum.

I guess if you Really want your eyes opened, price some steel.  Be interesting to know what kind of delivery they quote, they won't have it. 

• Like 3

The trucking industry has a shortage of trucks due to costs to operate:

1. Brokers taking to much from the Owner Operators so they parked or sold their trucks.

2. Fuel costs are high due to truck stops gouging the truckers (profit on a gallon of fuel is 25%+ on meter price).

3. Tires, parts and maintenance keeps going up.

I have a friend who has 15 Flatbed, Lowbed, RGN and he is getting $6.00 to $8.00 a mile from his customers and they are happy to pay for good service.

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

An efficient owner operator will make more money with higher priced fuel and the fuel surcharge if he knows what he’s doing.

True but too many end up running for Brokers.  I worked for a guy years ago that bought his Son a truck.  I asked him if he had any accounts, No I just run back and forth from LA to Chicago (Broker).  His Son was using the trailer brakes to stop or slow down and didn't lock the slider trailer axle, which caused the axles to depart the trailer thru the rear and end up on the highway.  His Son got lots  of speeding tickets and ruined many tires with his curb bashing.  I think the last I heard was that he lost $15-20k on the truck and the broker didn't pay him.

36 minutes ago, bigequip said:

True but too many end up running for Brokers.  I worked for a guy years ago that bought his Son a truck.  I asked him if he had any accounts, No I just run back and forth from LA to Chicago (Broker).  His Son was using the trailer brakes to stop or slow down and didn't lock the slider trailer axle, which caused the axles to depart the trailer thru the rear and end up on the highway.  His Son got lots  of speeding tickets and ruined many tires with his curb bashing.  I think the last I heard was that he lost $15-20k on the truck and the broker didn't pay him.

You have to build a relationship with several brokers or work with Landstar or Mercer.

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

You have to build a relationship with several brokers or work with Landstar or Mercer.

True.    Landstar or Mercer are the best.  Have shipped with them in the past.

8 hours ago, pt756 said:

so who is making all this extra money

I suspect no one is making any extra. The cost of complying with the DOT for many businesses is a lot of money. If you don’t have a compliance company you probably need dedicated staff. The cost of maintaining whatever the latest government mandate is on Diesel engines is staggering. Stupid government policies regarding oil makes everyone pay more for everything.  Right now business are having to compete against lucrative unemployment checks. Along with a thousand other little things driving up the cost of doing business. Merle Haggard’s Rainbow Stew song from the ‘80s has never been more true than it is right now. I’m still waiting on my battery powered Semi that I can run all day and charge at night using my solar panels. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

BTOs and elites are raking it in by the container

try getting cash .... 20 questions $ limit and near sign in blood,and much more limits planed soon

mainstream (lie) news is touting sleepy puppets,  40% tax on everything, raise the costs of EVERYTHING to get more 40%
80% more regs and costs to business (simply passed on)

pay farmers $.01 bc invented crisis prevents processing,$8.50 lb for meat bc faux crisis prevents processing.

pay to stay home to invent crisis,bidding war to get workers(not) so the 40% + tax applies

was in the er waiting 4 hrs to see dr   3 sets of propaganda going on 24/7

signage 3 different rules on same wall, gestopo rules of thee not me,

tv on koolaide setting,then  2' away more tv on submit channel ONLY

and the blues lap it up

8 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I suspect no one is making any extra. The cost of complying with the DOT for many businesses is a lot of money. If you don’t have a compliance company you probably need dedicated staff. The cost of maintaining whatever the latest government mandate is on Diesel engines is staggering. Stupid government policies regarding oil makes everyone pay more for everything.  Right now business are having to compete against lucrative unemployment checks. Along with a thousand other little things driving up the cost of doing business. Merle Haggard’s Rainbow Stew song from the ‘80s has never been more true than it is right now. I’m still waiting on my battery powered Semi that I can run all day and charge at night using my solar panels. 

This 1 paragraph explains 95% of the freight cost increase.

36 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

No fuel card or savings program?

This was in Sinclair Wyoming, and only AFTER I pumped did the cashier tell me about their savings card that would give me I think ten cents off. I wasn’t in a position to shop around, as I was oversized and ran out of daylight before my running hours, so I simply filled after I stopped.