Drive through the National Bison Range

MT Matt

I had two cousins from Iowa at the house last week. Couldn’t get an access ticket for Glacier Park so I took them to the bison range. Good trip and the bison are big suckers when only a few feet from the truck!!  There were 40-50 in a herd next to the road. Enjoy a little tour of Montana. 

26F94520-2B20-4EBB-BD96-62664929AAA4.thumb.jpeg.77187f630b5f033d1bd85fc1e7eaa4ff.jpeg

70590E78-293D-4F5D-BC84-1AEB8CE755B3.thumb.jpeg.ba6c76f0aa0256772a451a1e1a89aeea.jpeg

731CFF3E-3C30-46AF-B0C5-4A648D43B8D0.thumb.jpeg.53b0f367be0a5da91ca94678b1e97763.jpeg

F3D85017-DDFE-4440-9068-1D9FE2F60A40.thumb.jpeg.4b8c9874dc9e40fb1421679dae9c32f1.jpeg

BF254D4B-ABA2-4FD3-B4D6-5DBFB1243DAE.thumb.jpeg.e777403f713f73087e693318c608d485.jpeg

0CE952C7-69DE-4059-B69C-7958497895C3.thumb.jpeg.821b4eab4a42d3b10fcd5ccb3fcb5c01.jpeg

A6215728-194C-48B5-A822-872D8CCBE358.thumb.jpeg.a35a2fd358d10cd25a808b1cc4881951.jpeg

FE537F84-0B9B-4DE3-9672-0359E3E6F4D0.thumb.jpeg.f7aa25670b58223bce38663f3aa1f9ea.jpeg

027C3577-320B-40D3-A07F-AC9E928F0CF9.thumb.jpeg.d46a230ea85e1af7af0754624436687e.jpeg

7C783C66-AD0D-4FD9-B001-6FB1779F4FDE.thumb.jpeg.95f780b7f43f14bcb8b4ca708bf7c9f2.jpeg

And a bonus picture over looking Flathead Lake. 

2DB3A003-ACBF-4CC9-8572-C384BA450DB0.thumb.jpeg.6f9ef1dd6210e55c0c04e0a9691ae390.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Great pictures, Matt....always enjoyed Montana's    landscape ......Access  tickets for Glacier Park ???...do you mean this is a requirement to visit that  Park ???  Certainly one of the most fabulous 'drives '' in  the Great US of A...or was it closed because of snow ??...happened to us in 1999..coming down from  Edmonton....Gates were shut because of heavy snow.....a real bummer

Mike

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mike newman said:

Great pictures, Matt....always enjoyed Montana's    landscape ......Access  tickets for Glacier Park ???...do you mean this is a requirement to visit that  Park ???  Certainly one of the most fabulous 'drives '' in  the Great US of A...or was it closed because of snow ??...happened to us in 1999..coming down from  Edmonton....Gates were shut because of heavy snow.....a real bummer

Mike

I am not sure about what he is talking about, I know Acadia National park has been talking more and more about steps to limit visitors in certain areas of the park due to overcrowding, parking issues and damage to fragile areas of the park due to their heavy foot traffic. I am certain they are not alone. 

Awesome pics Matt, interested in the Glacier access portion also, is this a Covid thing? 

• Thanks 1

I think the access pass is due to COVID and too much traffic. If I understand it right, it is for Going to the Sun Highway not necessarily all of the Park. They want to limit the number of vehicles using the road. That’s the best part of the place in my opinion. 

The pass is in addition to the normal park pass and is only $2. They pre-sold 75% of the passes two months ago. Then the other 25% are sold two days prior to when you want to use them. I got on line at precisely 8 am two days in a row. At 8:01 am, 145 passes were gone each day and I wasn’t able to get one. So we said the heck with it. 

I know there are tour trucks you can ride on, maybe that’s what the park wants to get used more. But it’s a three hour drive up to the park and I don’t know every detail.  Maybe next time. 

• Like 2

Hopefully this doesn’t turn permanent after Covid, east glacier beautiful too❤️, but I know everyone is looking to do Logan’s, surprised it’s open already must be lots of snow still

If you ever go to Yosemite in CA, watch when you go. It's normal to set in traffic jams on the freeway, but I never expected it in a national park. Waaaaay too many people to ruin such a nice thing.

Beautiful! I miss that part of the counrty. We used to go to Glacier every couple years. But the last time was 25 years ago. We would just drive into the park and get a park cabin and stay 3-4 days. A few years back we thought about going back. I was surprised all the cabins were booked for the summer. Same thing at Yellowstone. You don't just drive in and get a place to stay. I had noticed the last time there 20 or so years ago a lot of foreigners. My brother in law and his family went to Yellowstone last year and it was fairly quiet as no foreigners were they because of covid. We just got back from a week in the Black hills. It gets busier there every years to. 

Funny you mention that cedar one of my biker buddies stopped at Glacier Park Lodge later in the evening after riding all day and inquired about a room and of course serious discount as anything open at that point of the day would remain vacant at to which the desk person politely declined 

He went back to his bike and got his sleeping bag and found an opening and slept under the deck, he said I’ve slept under the front steps of some of the finest hotels

Done Logan’s a few times but twice stands out, family vacation as a kid where any major problem would mean free falling a couple thousand feet and end your time on earth, and another coming through later in day and had an almost empty road on the bike heading to Packers Roost, one of my quickest trips❤️

Back in 2013, I brought my family out to see my father from Missouri. We loaded up in his 24’ RV and off to Glacier we went. Stopped at the front gate, got our pass and asked how the weather was on the pass. She said “seems to be ok.” Off we went and at the bottom there was what appeared to be a parking area for campers but Dad said “don’t worry, keep going! We drove over the pass a couple years ago.”  Mmmmm hmmm, I should have known better. 

Come to find out anything over 21’ isn’t allowed on Going to the Sun and over Logan’s Pass but no stopping now!!  Talk about tight and steep. I was driving and for some reason it got real quiet when it started to snow. I thought if it’s this bad of a road going up, how in the world are we going to get down the other side???  It was a full blown blizzard by the time we got to the top and of course the parking lot was empty. I stopped to gather my thoughts and nerve before creeping down the east side. Well it wasn’t nearly as bad on the east side and buses come up from that side to the visitors center at Logan Pass. So we survived. Two things stood out, the snow drift that was still 30’ tall that they cut through to open the road just below the top and the adjacent waterfall that was blowing sideways from the wind coming up the canyon. 

Two years later we took my truck up the pass on a warm sunny day and it was gorgeous. Dad has since passed on but I’ll never forget that trip with him! ?

• Like 3

Yellowstone also has friendly herds. I had one that wanted to visit via the drivers window on our old Ramcharger last time I was up there.

I have been looking and pictures from the late 1800's on youtube, there were flat car loads of buffalo hides going someplace on a train. 

My daughter lives in Columbia Falls,she has been to Australia, all the major parks out west, she is a outdoorsman and a animal biologist.She said Montana,Glacier, is the most beautiful place she has been.I visited her once, spent a week out there,went to Pole Bridge and on to Canada where your faced with a ranger station and a do not enter sign in the middle of no where.So beautiful beyond belief so we  went back the next day.She loves Montana and will never come back to PA, to crowded for her she says.

I can't say I blame her, if I was a young man I might be heading out there myself.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jacka said:

My daughter lives in Columbia Falls,she has been to Australia, all the major parks out west, she is a outdoorsman and a animal biologist.She said Montana,Glacier, is the most beautiful place she has been.I visited her once, spent a week out there,went to Pole Bridge and on to Canada where your faced with a ranger station and a do not enter sign in the middle of no where.So beautiful beyond belief so we  went back the next day.She loves Montana and will never come back to PA, to crowded for her she says.

I can't say I blame her, if I was a young man I might be heading out there myself.

Jacka.....with great  respect, I must remind you   that Australian's   come to New Zealand in their thousands....to see something other than their   ""Wall to Wall  ...Sweet   F***  All ""   country side.....:rolleyes:....They come to ski in the winter months by the 'plane load.....

...but as for the State of Montana..I have had the priviledge of seeing it in all four seasons...it is a wonderful place .....among many other beautiful parts of America....My only comment re Glacier ...is simply those forest fires  that seem to rampage through the parks...(remember   Yellowstone's     "fire"  )....certainly don't enhance  the    "vista'.....

My last visit to Glacier, was in  2015...and the Western side  had been badly hit by fire......but that didn't detract  from the overall experience of going through there....

Mike

My Father-in-Law has travelled ALL over the world,  lots of it compliments the US Airforce, and Glacier Nat. Park is the ONLY place he wants to go back to.  He drove out from the east last time,  just east of the Mississippi,  next time he says he'll fly out west and drive in from the west.  My wife is the absolute BEST navagator, we've been to both coasts, New England, all over the Midwest, we're DRIVING!

i lived there two years - YS was part of my territory - glacier I was the back up service tech for, I will say two things, never go unless you have to in the tourist days, wait until school is back in session and go as close to labor day as possible. YS and G you can figure opening/closing dates for the elevated roads are roughly MEM/LAB day weekends. They try to have them open by MEM day and open until LAB day. It varies from yr to yr depending on snowfall so always call ahead. 

I miss the beauty, solitude, ruggedness of MT but I do not miss the winters. Long and Cold in the pretty parts. 

I have close friends that live out there and we go out for visiting. I have had my fill of the parks/tourists. I would only return to take someone who hasnt seen it. 

Things have changed drastically with the reintroduction of wolves, dont get me started on that fiasco. 

Cool story with the RV matt, sounds like a cold sweat white knuckle kind of trip to me. I hate those. 

What part of MT are you in Matt? You near Mader, he is right around columbus, I lived in BOZO when I was there, good friends live there on the pass and are in the process of moving to Thompson Falls? 

20 hours ago, MT Matt said:

Back in 2013, I brought my family out to see my father from Missouri. We loaded up in his 24’ RV and off to Glacier we went. Stopped at the front gate, got our pass and asked how the weather was on the pass. She said “seems to be ok.” Off we went and at the bottom there was what appeared to be a parking area for campers but Dad said “don’t worry, keep going! We drove over the pass a couple years ago.”  Mmmmm hmmm, I should have known better. 

Come to find out anything over 21’ isn’t allowed on Going to the Sun and over Logan’s Pass but no stopping now!!  Talk about tight and steep. I was driving and for some reason it got real quiet when it started to snow. I thought if it’s this bad of a road going up, how in the world are we going to get down the other side???  It was a full blown blizzard by the time we got to the top and of course the parking lot was empty. I stopped to gather my thoughts and nerve before creeping down the east side. Well it wasn’t nearly as bad on the east side and buses come up from that side to the visitors center at Logan Pass. So we survived. Two things stood out, the snow drift that was still 30’ tall that they cut through to open the road just below the top and the adjacent waterfall that was blowing sideways from the wind coming up the canyon. 

Two years later we took my truck up the pass on a warm sunny day and it was gorgeous. Dad has since passed on but I’ll never forget that trip with him! ?

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

i lived there two years - YS was part of my territory - glacier I was the back up service tech for, I will say two things, never go unless you have to in the tourist days, wait until school is back in session and go as close to labor day as possible. YS and G you can figure opening/closing dates for the elevated roads are roughly MEM/LAB day weekends. They try to have them open by MEM day and open until LAB day. It varies from yr to yr depending on snowfall so always call ahead. 

I miss the beauty, solitude, ruggedness of MT but I do not miss the winters. Long and Cold in the pretty parts. 

I have close friends that live out there and we go out for visiting. I have had my fill of the parks/tourists. I would only return to take someone who hasnt seen it. 

Things have changed drastically with the reintroduction of wolves, dont get me started on that fiasco. 

Cool story with the RV matt, sounds like a cold sweat white knuckle kind of trip to me. I hate those. 

What part of MT are you in Matt? You near Mader, he is right around columbus, I lived in BOZO when I was there, good friends live there on the pass and are in the process of moving to Thompson Falls? 

I live in St Regis, 33 miles from Idaho on I-90. Not too from Thompson Falls, about 1.5 hours south.  Most people coming from the west to go to Glacier drive through St Regis as it is the shortest route. Just a little town of about 750 but plenty of traffic in the summer.

I graduated high school here, moved to Missouri for 25 years and then moved back home in 2018. I don’t visit any of the parks either but will go with friends who come out. Plenty of wild things to see around here close to the house. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

Known as MMBA - miles and miles of bloody Australia

Ian.....I was not wishing to incite a riot...in respect of a rather harsh  comment on Aussie..... 1 have only  seen the South West    of    WA.....and its really nice around Denmark and Albany......enjoyed  the West/ East    drive with my three adult daughters,,and one 30yr old Grandson...couple years ago......been up around  Brisbane.....and stayed with  Tom Horwood    in Inveral   (sp  ? }   sort of central    NSW...thats about it   ...Hardly   qualifies  me to do a travelogue  on Australia  !!!

Comrade   Ardearn   would  call that ''hate speech ''

I  like great big lumps   on the earth.....plenty around  home where I  live and work......and plenty in Montana.....and there were /are some very fine craftsmen up in Kalispell, making  very fine Single Shot firearms ...plenty to see in Montana  ....:)

Mike

.......remember to steer well clear of  Mrs   Patel's    motel emporium   in Livingstone, though.......a  great big sack of excrement and a bloody charlaton  

Edited by mike newman
I remembered Mrs Patel

Mike 

That was just adding to your terminology!

We've got some lumpy bits here - all of about 200 - 300 feet high.  Rocky too.  Houses not closer than about 4miles so not over-populated and we like it like that.  So a more variable terrain than , say, the mitchell grass plains areas whose equivalent in US would be a mid-grass prairie without the farming potential and a terrain about the same.  

It all looks better by moonlight if you are driving - takes the harshness off it (IMO).  Because of the rainfall it is mostly brown, green being a fairly rare event - particularly the last 10 years or so.

The property one son manages is about 2,500,000 acres for the other extreme of size.  Up to 80,000 head of cattle - down to about 15,000 in a bad drought

• Like 1