24-D max mixture

MTO

13 minutes ago, MarkG said:

2,4-D is volital. The wind can carry it to the neighbors place. Not a big problem unless your neighbors grow award winning roses or such.

Or pumpkins that only need a taste to knock them back.?

17 minutes ago, MarkG said:

2,4-D is volital. The wind can carry it to the neighbors place. Not a big problem unless your neighbors grow award winning roses or such.

The neighbors weed patches are what contaminated me!

Many times it work better at less than maximum. To strong burns the top and doesn't get worked down to the roots. Then come back from the roots. Other time and plants do need max and bit more. 

2 hours ago, MTO said:

These weeds are back in my pastures.

Sprayed/killed/worked but back.

How much is max dose per my 15 gal sprayer?

Help

dont spray when its hot, its been too hot here to be spraying in this heat, do it right at dusk under 80degrees is bout the best you can get away with around here and dont forget to put some dawn in the tank with it

i have better luck with 24d lv 400 vs amine 400 never used the max stuff but about out and going to have to get some more 

If 2,4-D isn’t working well for you it might be worth trying something else. Something that is labeled for pasture and rangeland that kills woody species works really well on broadleaf weeds like thistles, etc. Grazon and Remedy are the names of two products that we use along with some surfactant. We spray the fence lines and weeds in the pasture with them. I just put them in with my chemical order and I didn’t ask if these two in particular are restricted use or not, because there were restricted use chemicals in the order. If they are you can’t purchase them without an applicators license unless you have a friend that can help you with that. All the 2,4-D that I know of is the low volatility modern formula. Once upon a time 2,4-D was very volatile. I have seen dicamba travel for miles, but not 2,4-D. Dicamba and 2,4-D are very different products, but people confuse the two. I’m sure somebody will tell me different, but I have sprayed tens of thousands of acres of 2,4-D and have never seen it move around (volatize). When Extend soybeans were new I didn’t see any of my neighbors spray it  that did not have major problems. I know the party line is that Extendimax (Dicamba) can be safe if used properly, but that is not my experience. The only thing that stopped Dicamba damage here is that my state more or less banned Extendimax for post emergence spraying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ihfan4life said:

Dawn dish soap? 

Cheap surfactant, some places call spreader/sticker. To help water and weed killer to get through the wax on the leaf.

Newer safer products for many weeds, but they cost way more.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, acem said:

Just use some 245T. 

Man that stuff worked good on brush.

I believe that is what’s known as “Agent Orange”. Not available for many years now, although was once used by farmers. Will damage whatever you get it on, including people.

Agent Orange is Paraquat. Gromoxone. Both are dumbed down agent orange 

The rate on the label is 1 to two pints acre with 15 to 30 gals water per acre. Maximum is 4 to 6 pints at single application. 4 pints is 2 was per acre so figure pasture size and spray away. There is drift reducer and surfactant, conditioner that help in application

I used Pasture-Pro, which is  2,4-D mixed-amine, in my neighbor's 300 gal sprayer. Place looked like a golf course afterwards but a few years later it all weedy again.

Had surfactant left over from years ago and put a little in. I did it at dawn when there was no wind and didn't have ant drift problems.

Agent orange was a mixture of 24d and 245t. 

The problem was not 24d or 245t. The problem was the other ingredients. This was before epa regulation of pesticides so it could contain whatever. The cheap way to make 245t causes contamination with dioxins. Agent orange contained the dioxin TCDD which is a very harmful chemical.

Agent orange could have been made safe but was made cheap. 

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I think dawn is poor man’s surfactant. Never tried it. 

yup, works great - napalm also works well but might want to check the fire rules in your area 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

Sure is a lot of Parkinson's Disease/Paraquat ads. I doubt that Paraquat was ever used much in this region. And how would they prove that Paraquat was the cause or was even used?

I sprayed quite a bit of paraquat in 2015. We had way too much rain here and weeds were out of control, no burn down on fields until late June. We tried working some fields, but the weeds were so tall it was just making a mess. Paraquat was the meanest chemical I ever sprayed, unbelievable what it would do. Fields went from a six foot jungle to so dry you could literally burn them off in two days. I had a hose rupture from a bulk tank and I got covered in it. I was wearing a face shield and goggles, but was only wearing a T-shirt. I got a huge blistered chemical burn on my chest from it. If I had not been wearing a face shield my face would have been covered in it as well. 

• Sad 1

Agent orange wasn't the only chemical used in the Vietnam War. They had a rainbow of chemicals they used. Green, pink, purple, blue white and orange (four versions). 

Green and pink were 245t.

Purple and orange were 245t and 24d

Blue was a defoliant used to kill rice. 

Agent white was 24d and picloram (grazon)

All these chemicals are still in use except 245t which was removed from the market because of the agent orange lawsuits. 

Supposedly 20 million gallons of the rainbow chemicals were sprayed during the Vietnam War to kill the jungle and food crops.

Remember, government contracts are normally filled by the cheapest bidder!

Thx-Ace 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, New Englander said:

I used Pasture-Pro, which is  2,4-D mixed-amine, in my neighbor's 300 gal sprayer. Place looked like a golf course afterwards but a few years later it all weedy again.

Had surfactant left over from years ago and put a little in. I did it at dawn when there was no wind and didn't have ant drift problems.

What you didn't borrow a crop duster, come in low and make an airstrike? Come on man.

• Haha 1