Farmall h gas tank removal

I have a old farmall h that I need to remove the upper steering shaft from to remove the gas tank. I am 13 and sort of just starting to get into working on things so I just need some direction on what to do. Thanks

16229315774211918571568929582514.jpg

• Derek01 changed the title to Farmall h gas tank removal

The first thing to try is removing the three nuts below the tank. There should be castle nuts with cotter keys holding the tank on. Take out the cotter keys and see if the nut comes off or the entire bolt comes out of the tank. If one of the bolts comes out from either of the front two, you can wiggle the tank out without removing the steering shaft. Save you time. What’s wrong with the tank?  Hole?  Need to clean it?

If you have no luck with that, there is a clamp on the steering shaft at the u-joint by the gauges. Take out the bolt, I’ve had to wedge a small chisel into the clamp to open it a little so it can be driven back from the front part of the steering shaft. There is a half-moon key in the front shaft, don’t lose it when it comes apart.  Have to take the throttle shaft out also. That should just be a cotter key down by the head and likely the same at the throttle. 

Get in there and take stuff apart, you can do it!!  Let us know if you have more questions. 

I got the castle nuts out of the tank and the u-joint unbolted but it still won't move more than a couple of millimeters because there is a collar at the support under the throttle but after taking the grub screws out the collar still refuses to move, is that probably just rusted on and needs to be pounded off or is it not supposed to move?

Those collars are supposed to be able to move . Might be able to tap on the collar the opposite direction and then it will work loose from the rust