My homemade hay trailer

I built this thing 15 or so years ago it works great-on close hauls. Tub is part of an old underground fuel storage tank mounted to a used tandem running gear.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

So, one question. Back in the day, how was the fuel tank cut? After my gas incident last fall, no amount of $$ could get me anywhere near a fuel tank that size with a torch!

1 minute ago, Cattech said:

So, one question. Back in the day, how was the fuel tank cut? After my gas incident last fall, no amount of $$ could get me anywhere near a fuel tank that size with a torch!

The tanks are triple washed on the inside and then they are supposedly clean.  I removed tanks from gas stations for years and they also cut a big diamond hole in the tank with a special blade that did not throw sparks.  All these gas station tanks were scrapped.

We also did the train wrecks in the desert and they gave us the tank cars.  We had to cut the trucks off the tanks and one time I put a hole or got it to hot and their was an explosion.  The explosion just blew the dent out of the tank car.   The wall was 5/8" thick so it was very strong.  We hauled the tanks to our yard and split them to make end dumps.  Each tank would give us 3 end dumps which we sold for $22k each.

Nice setup!  Great use for an underground tank.  In my former life before becoming a farmer in 2018, I was a project manager for an enviro company. Cleaned up gas stations and petroleum spills. Removed many fuel tanks from the ground, this was in Missouri. The boss had a crazy crew from Kansas City torch open the tanks and clean them out. Same guys did it for the 20 years I worked there and likely still are doing it.

Plug the vents with rags, gloves, tape or whatever then back up their truck and hook up the exhaust to inert the tank. Let it run for an hour or so, hit the torch and burn a big square out of the end. Tip the tank a little so the liquids could be bucketed out and then bail off inside to scrape the chunks with a shovel. Load the tank on a trailer or cut it down so they could manage it and off to the recycle yard to collect their check. I don’t remember how much the boss paid them but it wasn’t enough for me to even consider even thinking about it. Crazy SOBs. OSHA would have had a field day writing them tickets but nobody ever bothered em. 

had a neighbor fuel supplier .... cleaned many spills /crashs  and welded most any fuel storage container, since MM training in '36    vacuum or truck was choice,

over 60 yrs only had 1 tremble ....3 compartment where they had erroneously double walled and the fuel was between

55 s were simply correctly positioned, lite and fetched for patch, assembly line fashion .

18 hours ago, MTO said:

I gather from the remote it side dumps?

Yes just a 3"X8" cylinder we just haul to barn and hit the lever works great within a couple of miles,not practical on long hauls though.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

We need action pictures!

I took a video but i can't get it to post,something about being the wrong format.

1 hour ago, from H to 80 said:

I took a video but i can't get it to post,something about being the wrong format.

It just about has to be uploaded to U-toob or another video sharing site. 

8 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

It just about has to be uploaded to U-toob or another video sharing site. 

Your getting WAY over my head there?

• Haha 1