Hide and seek

I  was changing out a fuel sending unit on the project tractor. Laying on my stomach ,legs hanging out of the cab door with my arms snaked down through an opening in the floorboard.

Then it happened. lost my footing , hit the aluminum platform with the 50 piece 1/4" socket set laying open on top. Well sh!t hung in the doorway one hand caught but I got out and saw the mess. Surprisingly I found all but 2 on the first go around those 2 were a little harder. Don't know how they wedged themselves under a tri rib on another tractor but that's where I found them. Got 'em found before it got dark too ?

• Like 3

My fave trick is dropping the bit kit for the 1/4 “ impact, I finally bought an extendable 4” magnet to pick up my mistakes.

• Like 3

Changed the oil in my pickup and couldn’t find the damn plug after I drained the oil…??

I had to go to the auto parts store to get a replacement for it. To this day I still don’t know where that plug went.

In my shop, when it was brand new (and clean!), I was working on a pickup.  Slid my Craftsman 1/2" ratchet out from under the truck, then crawled out myself.  Couldn't find the ratchet.  Pulled truck out, still couldn't find it.  Looked everywhere in shop, on concrete apron outside, in gravel drive...never did find that ratchet!  Its like it disappeared into thin air!

• Haha 2

Gremlins !       Little sneaky ******** play with us older folks.  Always moving and hiding crap in plane daylight, and moving things to the unknown.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I found a pair of long handle needle nose plier on top of a plastic gas tank when I was scrapping an old chevy van. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dasnake said:

My fave trick is dropping the bit kit for the 1/4 “ impact, I finally bought an extendable 4” magnet to pick up my mistakes.

Some of the money spent was a magnet on wheels . I have had it out 3 times last weekend finding hardware from the project tractor working on it out in the gravel as I have an extra baler plugging up the shed

• Like 2

Yep, You could have 1000 square feet of open floor space all around you, drop something and it goes under a tire, under the shop vac etc. If you have 1000 square feet of open floor space that translates in your shop to 1000 places your dropped item will be under and become invisible. Never, plainly visible in the 1000 square feet of open floor space.  DISCLAIMER - I know no one has clean floor space in their shop. The  above statement was for demonstrative purposes only. But the statement is still 100% accurate in every shop I've ever worked in.  God help you if your working outside!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It is one of the laws of physics, that anything round will fall on the floor and roll into the only crack in the concrete. The smaller the part and 'no longer available' it is more likely that this will happen.

Pocket knives are also coated with some sort of invisible coating. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Changed the oil in my pickup and couldn’t find the damn plug after I drained the oil…??

I had to go to the auto parts store to get a replacement for it. To this day I still don’t know where that plug went.

I usually find my missing stuff right after returning form the store to replace it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

In my 20’s I used to ride bicycle quit a bit. I found a lot of hand tools on highway shoulders. Ratchets and combo wrenches mostly. Presumably they fell off engine after being worked on. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Buddy said:

Gremlins !       Little sneaky ******** play with us older folks.  Always moving and hiding crap in plane daylight, and moving things to the unknown.

Those gremlins follow us young fellas around too. No age discrimination by them ?

Couple days ago I was fixing some wires in the cab of a truck. Grabbed everything I needed. Got there, started working, went to grab the solder, not there! What the heck! I just had a full roll. Oh well back to the shop grab another one, get back to the truck and it's sitting right there in plain sight ?‍♂️?

It is also amazing how far some things will travel without falling off. I made up a bracket for new led light on my track skid steer, and bolted it up. Everything was good, except I could hear a rattle whenever I drove it. Checked everything again and it's all tight. Oh well. About a month later I see the end of a ½" wreck sticking out the side of the bracket. It was hiding in the channel iron where I couldn't see lol. No more rattle after that lol

• Like 3