HEY! Where did all my oil go?

21 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

X2 I changed a set on my 93 gasser and could not stop the leak near the filter. Local mechanic said he could not afford to reuse them. Too much lost labor doing it a second time

The gasser uses a fitting almost like the diesel but not the same. The diesel comes out side of block and uses steel fittings with wire clips at least the older 1995 and before did.

9 hours ago, TomH said:

I'm guessing you weren't far from home! Good thing! At my old job we had a few 6.5's and one employee ( "It aint my truck") had a cooler line let go on I81. One Jasper engine later it was back on the road.?

Keep those green weenies rolling! ?? Jasper engines is a local business that

used to paint remans green

6 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Where did your oil go?  On the ground, just like 7 gallons of nice new hydraulic oil when the filter gasket fails to do it’s job. ?

560F8F14-5C24-44C6-9FF2-1242166DF90C.jpeg

Troube here i see is that your mechanic seems to have a drinking problem… cant hold his bottle right side up ?

EE817E32-4774-4B5A-A699-5FBD8580DC63.png

• Haha 2

Many GM gas and diesel engines have met their demise because of those crappy aluminum/rubber external oil cooler lines. Have had the line pop out of the engine connector, but like you, caught it in time. Just check your turbo shaft to see if it spins freely. Those line connectors in the block are NPT, so some have put in 90 degree fittings and hose barbs with transmission cooler hose. The fittings on the cooler itself has an o-ring fitting that is unique, so you either flare the aluminum line or change the oil cooler to one that uses NPT. Then you can either use hydraulic hose or transmission oil cooler hose. The OEM replacement lines will work for awhile, but don t be surprised when they start to seep in a short time, very poor design by GM.  Also, replace those two  engine snap/lock connectors too. I think they were about ten bucks apiece from the Chevy dealer.

• Thanks 1

I put on a new oil cooler line on the 454 Chevy at the shop and drove it 1.5  miles home.  Was small drip. Raised the hood to look and the leaky line became a gusher and the fan was blowing oil all over the engine.  I had installed the line to the cooler and when it pressurized to pushed up into the power steering pump pulley.  When I tested it with the engine idling all was fine but at 50 PSI hose moved and I WAS VERY LUCKY, that I was under the hood when the big leak came. The real issue was the paper thin Chinese hose that flexed too  much when the pressure got to normal.

15 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Where did your oil go?  On the ground, just like 7 gallons of nice new hydraulic oil when the filter gasket fails to do it’s job. ?

560F8F14-5C24-44C6-9FF2-1242166DF90C.jpeg

Don't tell anyone, but I once put a gallon of 30 WT into our 464 tractor and it all drained into the drain pan because I had the drain plug on the running board.

11 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Troube here i see is that your mechanic seems to have a drinking problem… cant hold his bottle right side up ?

EE817E32-4774-4B5A-A699-5FBD8580DC63.png

Probably holding it that way so that as supervisor it’s easier for him to bop the mechanic on the head when he messes up

1 hour ago, ihrondiesel said:

Probably holding it that way so that as supervisor it’s easier for him to bop the mechanic on the head when he messes up

You -- ah -- seem to have some experience with that??

I was about ready to beat my head against a wall when I discovered that mess.  Added at least another $100 to an already expensive trans oil change.  

Upside though.  In the process I changed oil brands and in roughly 2 hours of operation the rather severe clutch and brake chatter that had been nagging irritation for at least 1000 hrs seems to be gone.