Farmall M rearend bearings

Frank H

3 hours ago, Frank H said:

Anyone know the most up to date part numbers for the rearend bearings and  inner axle shaft bearings for a plain 1944 M? I don't know what the non-IH numbers are.  What bearings are considered upgrades?

my napa has always been able to cross bearing numbers from IH, do you need the numbers? i have an M parts manual. 

• Like 1

@Dell 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Frank H said:

If it's no trouble,  I would like to have the IH numbers to cross.  I am trying to buy everything to rebuild it all, and have it ready so it's not down for long.

Frank, i did not see this until just now , i will check for you in the AM

• Like 1

I found a set of 560 inner axle roller bearings on ebay, used. The question now I guess for this pair of bearings is, is a good set of used Bower roller bearings better than a new set of ball bearings for a working Farmall M? The rollers don't appear to be available new anymore. 

Ok here is a sheet I made up on most of the bearing in the rear end of a FarmAll m . Use it for reference only I assume no liability. All the part numbers were pulled from a reference catalog from SKF. The first row or column shows the IH part number the second column is the bearing size the third fourth and fifth show different part numbers for SKFMRC in the actual cross reference part number. Hope this is helpful.

8543613E-E802-402D-99E2-19A8EDD19B82.jpeg

85403807-1307-45DC-9AF7-F85114D8E8EC.jpeg

• Like 3

I was born in 1949. Dad had a 400 he bought new in late 1956. First rear axle bearing was in 1967. Next one about 1974. If you are observant you will probably catch it before damage done. My uncle bought a new 560 after first update package but before flat Bower bearings came from factory. Luckily for him when axle bearing went out Bowers were available. A used Bower bearing will probably outlast new ball bearing. But I would probably go with the new ball bearing on an M. FWIW IH went through the should have used a roller bearing drama on the 1566-86 in the rear axle planetary drive set-up. 

• Like 1