Good luck getting in to Canada 

jeeper61

Most of the complaints here seem to be crossing the border to get back into your own country, acquaintance knew a border customs agent and asked, she gave a few helpful suggestions, defined answers not wish washy for length of stay, Nature of trip, where are you going, and for us on motorcycles shut your bike off and take your sunglasses off, seemed to help immensely but I avoid big crossings.

I used to buy stuff all year and send to a buddy and then go down and bring back the haul, had all my paperwork ready, pay your fee and off you go, it is as much about revenue as it is security.

Must say I’m a bit surprised by Lorenzo’s hurtful comments....

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2021 at 10:34 PM, Big Bud guy said:

We live 8 miles from the border and half my family is Canadian.  What changed everything was not covid but 9/11.  The years before 9/11 we used to go into Canada all the time just like going to any other town.  Farm shows, hockey games, machinery trips, parks, relatives on and on.  Heck half of our town was in the golf league in Milk River or so it seemed like.  Senior trips and school trips were also common.  Going into Canada, the customs officer would barely look up when asking the questions.  Coming back was easier yet because it was local people working customs and most of the time they wouldn't even question you.  Just shoot the breeze for a minute.  We also had only 2 border patrol agents.

After 9/11, everything changed.  First of all a new joint custom building was built.  The number of border patrol agents went up over 50 and sensors were installed on the border.  It used to be sometimes we would not even go through the port going into Canada.  We would get on the border road, make sure nobody was around and just veer off onto one of the roads on the Canadian side.  Now if you stop your vehicle on the border road, get out to take a leak on the Canadian edge of the road, someone will be there in 5 minutes or less.  No joke.   Far as getting into Canada, still wasn't too bad but the Canadians did ask more questions.  However, it is our side that are the pr!cks.  The government brought in a lot more custom agents all hot shots thinking they are going make some big bust harassing the local people going through.  9/11 is what changed everything, Covid made it worse.  I am normally pro law enforcement. I've had only one bad run in with a cop and it wasn't even that bad.  Most are good around here.  The local DOT are pretty good too, not the Nazis you read about in other places.  However, these custom agents I sometimes wonder how someone hasn't gone off on them yet.  

But yet if your coming from Mexico they lay down the red carpet and carry your bags for you . Soon you will also get spending money when you cross.  But come in from Canada and it’s a whole different story . 

Detain an 82 year old women for two and a half hours because she might have a fish hiding in the camper somewhere and terrify her to the point of tears, 

Explain the difference please . 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

But yet if your coming from Mexico they lay down the red carpet and carry your bags for you . Soon you will also get spending money when you cross.  But come in from Canada and it’s a whole different story . 

Detain an 82 year old women for two and a half hours because she might have a fish hiding in the camper somewhere and terrify her to the point of tears, 

Strange the US officials would harass you but you might have to clean the fish before you bring them in there is some thing about processed in the rules.

The AZ Game and Fish would stop folks coming off the Indian Reservations

The seasons are different on the Reservations and some there are in the business of catering to sportsmen

If you had whole fish or a whole animal they would fine you for out of season possession.

The fish need to be cleaned or the  animal butchered.

If that was the case just write the fine and send'em on their way.

No point in being a dick

But sadly it's a power trip thing.    

• Sad 1

We used to get alot of parts shipped to just south of the border then go pick then up. Way cheaper on shipping that way and the parts themselves are significantly less even after exchange. Unfortunately we haven't been able to in the past year. I just had to get parts for my quad. Shipping to cross the border made it not worthwhile, so I ordered them from around here. Had the border been open, it would've saved me 3-400 dollars. We have never really had any issues going either way. I drove a tractor and air seeder across about 10 years ago, was no trouble at all. Got friends that would normally come up hunting every fall from Minnesota. They said they have never had any problems coming to Canada, but have a few times going back south.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, db1486 said:

We used to get alot of parts shipped to just south of the border then go pick then up. Way cheaper on shipping that way and the parts themselves are significantly less even after exchange. Unfortunately we haven't been able to in the past year. I just had to get parts for my quad. Shipping to cross the border made it not worthwhile, so I ordered them from around here. Had the border been open, it would've saved me 3-400 dollars. We have never really had any issues going either way. I drove a tractor and air seeder across about 10 years ago, was no trouble at all. Got friends that would normally come up hunting every fall from Minnesota. They said they have never had any problems coming to Canada, but have a few times going back south.

Boy ain’t that the truth on shipping costs, when ordering I have a PO box in Custer Wa, normal lower 48 ship costs, I check out shipping to my home and at least three times the price, and with the dollar rate so good now the prices are even better, there is one outfit I use called etrailer and they ship to my home super cheap.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2021 at 1:22 PM, MTO said:

Canada has been a great neighbor forever.

The people may be, but their government is another story... of course we have quite a few cesspools ourselves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, rcb said:

The people may be, but their government is another story... of course we have quite a few cesspools ourselves.

And we need to get off our butts and address that.

Hold our conservative party accountable

• Like 2

Here is some great government decision making we can all appreciate, the idiots in charge have bowed to butman and the NHL and are allowing the over paid players a pass to defy restrictions and cross the border,  now I don’t care if they swear it’s safe and protocols are followed bla bla bla, they are proving but again that if you are an elite you get special privileges, duck them and duck that, it just shows hypocrisy at its highest.

• Like 3

I miss being able to go to Canada.   The Mission BC drag strip is maybe 15 miles from my shop.   On a quiet day I can hear the cars blast down the track.   I hope the border opens soon.   

• Like 5

Back in late 90s a guy I worked with was going to get married so a couple car loads of us coworkers went up for the Canadian ballet. I was in one car with 6 guys and of course the border guard at Niagara Falls was a female. She asked what the purpose of our visit was. Driver said “me and my friends are going for an evening of fine entertainment “ I’ll never forget the look on her face as she said go on. She knew exactly what he meant 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, lorenzo said:

I wonder if it was just the guy who was doing the screening?

It seems customs service does not do much psychological screening for their hires. I've run into a couple that really should not be dealing with people at all, just not suited. Conversely I've dealt with many more nice folks.

I don't think I'd want the job. Like any law enforcement they're always dealing with some real slime in addition to normal folks.

• Like 3

Here in Maine as long as you have Farm plates on your vehicle we  cross all the time , Farm plates must repel covid 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Several years ago I was driving my buddies 69 Dart to the race track for him.  I stopped at the crossing station and the gal asked where I was going. Obvious to anyone else that the car was going to the drags.  She would not let me enter Canada because I did not have a written note from the owner saying it was OK for me to do that.   I called the car owner and waited for him, when he got there with paperwork 1/2 hour later I drove the car to the next station away from the gal that turned me around.    The guy at that station asked if I was going to the drags, (did not ask for any paperwork)  then asked how quick the car was and waved me through saying "Have fun, hope you win!!     Some agents have a better attitude than others. 

• Like 4

On 6/3/2021 at 6:09 PM, lorenzo said:

Two of my friends that have had a DUI in their past can’t cross into Canadian Territory now. 

My mother went there fishing when she was 82 years old , brought back two fish ( legal ) got to the border to come home  and got treated like a serial killer  by border agents, tore apart her camper , searched every inch of it accusing her of hideing fish somewhere in the camper because she only had two. Detained her at the border for two and half hours , had her in tears before it was over. 

The food sucks in most restaurants ,

The prime minister is a complete Dick wad , 

screw your Canada ,  you treat my mother like a criminal so F- - k you 

Well....thats interesting.

The US guards were the issue right?  They are generally very jaded individuals.  Friend quit recently since he just felt himself becoming a azzwhip.  Not sure why you hate Canada for the US agents actions...   Now if you hated em for the horrrific driving abilities I be right there mi amigo.  ???  Sherriff alleges a dbl digit drop in accidents sonce border been closed in our county.  ??

The dui thing has been that way for 30 years to the best of my knowing.  They treat a dui as a felony and they dont allow felons into their country.  Be nice if we did that wouldnt it?  I assume other countries do that as well?

Fwiw it aint the customs agents rolling out the red carpet its the rascist admin.  If your of a non white tone you have special passes for things.  Not political.  Just obvious.

I too would enjoy going up to the races some afternoon.  Or even cutting though to go camping next month.  4 hr via BC to camp ground in US or 6 via WA.  We still grab parts up there since saying your a farmer getting farm stuff seems to be a covid free thing...??

When we were dating in 99 to 03 we did 90% of nights out in BC.  60% exchange and more choices for feed and entertainment than our area.  Many movies were watched in the super fancy theater 20 miles away.  9/11 made it more complex but we just got passports.  They took 50% of the drama away.  Just be frank and direct with answers and stare them right in the eye hard.  Never answer a question they dont ask.  They are trained to see certain ques.  Dont give em any.  Handing a stack of Birth certs and license etc just gives them work (N side are really lazy imho) and irks them.  A stack of blue passports just goes smoothly.

Yes we unfortunately had gone to see the "peelers" as well (19yo drinking age) as kids.  "Where you been?"... "T@&$ie bar with friends and i am the sober driver".  "Get out of here" was generally next response.    We were buncha idiots...

On 6/6/2021 at 7:59 AM, lorenzo said:

About 4 years ago The old lady and I took the plunge and spent 10 days in Cabo, Since then we have gone there ievery year in late November early December. Never disappointing to go there.

Covid no issue. Employees wore their mask, we did also but once at pool or restaurant remove it. Talked to driver from the airport he said. You have God, The tourist, Your Mother. He said when the bad guys do bad sh#t to a tourist they hunt them down bring them in dead or alive they get there guy.

At first It's a little intimidating to see so many police walking around with automatic weapons. We never go out in the country just stay close to town. No regrets. Good people there.

• Like 2