Good luck getting in to Canada 

jeeper61

5 hours ago, 495man said:

Try to travel between some provinces right now even if you are Canadian. You will be denied entry. 

You have to apply for permission weeks ahead of time, and they decide if your trip is "essential" 

Ya want another reason for discussion, the ducking idiots have now increased the hotel quarantine fine from 3 grand to 5 grand, and the hotel of (their) choice is on your dime.

more at 11!!!!!!

6 hours ago, 495man said:

Try to travel between some provinces right now even if you are Canadian. You will be denied entry. 

You have to apply for permission weeks ahead of time, and they decide if your trip is "essential" 

Wow, I did not know there were check points between provinces. I always thought it would be great to cross into New Brunswick and drive to British Columbia. Not so great if you have to go through that many check points.

We used to fish at Vermillion Bay on Eagle Lake in the 80's.

We spent a lot of money in Canada.

When the passport thing went into effect, I decided to stay home.

The fishing is great, but some things are just not worth the hassle.

I keep my money now in the States.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, MarkG said:

Wow, I did not know there were check points between provinces. I always thought it would be great to cross into New Brunswick and drive to British Columbia. Not so great if you have to go through that many check points.

Three weeks ago at the height of the bc shutdown the four main highways out of the lower mainland had the police stationed 50 miles out of hope, (central point city of egress out of the lower mainland) and stopping and fining and turning peeps around, and ya know what? the people are fully on board with this, they are so ducking brainwashed that the term RED doesn’t mean sh*t.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

We live 8 miles from the border and half my family is Canadian.  What changed everything was not covid but 9/11.  The years before 9/11 we used to go into Canada all the time just like going to any other town.  Farm shows, hockey games, machinery trips, parks, relatives on and on.  Heck half of our town was in the golf league in Milk River or so it seemed like.  Senior trips and school trips were also common.  Going into Canada, the customs officer would barely look up when asking the questions.  Coming back was easier yet because it was local people working customs and most of the time they wouldn't even question you.  Just shoot the breeze for a minute.  We also had only 2 border patrol agents.

After 9/11, everything changed.  First of all a new joint custom building was built.  The number of border patrol agents went up over 50 and sensors were installed on the border.  It used to be sometimes we would not even go through the port going into Canada.  We would get on the border road, make sure nobody was around and just veer off onto one of the roads on the Canadian side.  Now if you stop your vehicle on the border road, get out to take a leak on the Canadian edge of the road, someone will be there in 5 minutes or less.  No joke.   Far as getting into Canada, still wasn't too bad but the Canadians did ask more questions.  However, it is our side that are the pr!cks.  The government brought in a lot more custom agents all hot shots thinking they are going make some big bust harassing the local people going through.  9/11 is what changed everything, Covid made it worse.  I am normally pro law enforcement. I've had only one bad run in with a cop and it wasn't even that bad.  Most are good around here.  The local DOT are pretty good too, not the Nazis you read about in other places.  However, these custom agents I sometimes wonder how someone hasn't gone off on them yet.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dale560 said:

Also one thing to remember when you pass into Canada it is the Canadian side and officials you deal with. When you re enter the United States it is the US border patrol you deal with. It was the American officials that wreaked havoc with your mother. And yes it is common for both sides to pick a vehicle at random and do the strip down check.

Around here, the border patrol and customs are two different things and you deal with customs coming through.  And passports are not required going both ways at least pre covid.  They will tell you they are, but that's because they are lazy and it takes longer to type in your info.  Until Covid we still went up into Canada 2-3 times a year and didn't have to show a passport going either way.

His quote was Canada wants you to come up visit and spend money. 

We must caught a Canadian customs agent on a bad day last year.  Last summer we bought a Super B trailer in Canada and went to get it last fall before harvest.  The Canadian customs guy was a complete thorough ass the whole time.  He actually questioned why we didn't buy one down here in the States.  When I told him there aren't any for sale and Super Bs are mainly Canadian thing, he actually spent 15 minutes in front me on his computer trying look up Super grain trailers for sale in MT.  After the couldn't find any, he gave me a lecture on how this port is open only for essential travel/business and told me don't do it again.  That didn't sound like a Canadian who wanted our money.  The US side for once wasn't as bad getting back across.  Still typical ******** but other then a minor detail on the paper work, they let me through with no issues.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

We live 8 miles from the border and half my family is Canadian.  What changed everything was not covid but 9/11.  The years before 9/11 we used to go into Canada all the time just like going to any other town.  Farm shows, hockey games, machinery trips, parks, relatives on and on.  **** half of our town was in the golf league in Milk River or so it seemed like.  Senior trips and school trips were also common.  Going into Canada, the customs officer would barely look at you when asking the questions.  Coming back was easier yet because it was local people working customs and most of the time they wouldn't even question you.  Just shoot the breeze for a minute.  We also had only 2 border patrol agents.

After 9/11, everything changed.  First of all a new joint custom building was built.  The number of border patrol agents went up over 50 and sensors were installed on the border.  It used to be sometimes we would not even go through the port going into Canada.  We would get on the border road, make sure nobody was around and just veer off onto one of the roads on the Canadian side.  Now if you stop your vehicle on the border road, get out to take a leak on the Canadian side of the road, someone will be there in 5 minutes or less.  No joke.   Far as getting into Canada, still wasn't too bad but the Canadians did ask more questions.  However, it is our side that are the pr!cks.  The government brought in a lot more custom agents all hot shots thinking they are going make some big bust harassing the local people going through.  9/11 is what changed everything, Covid made it worse.  I am normally pro law enforcement. I've had only one bad run in with a cop and it wasn't even that bad.  Most are good around here.  The local DOT are pretty good too, not the Nazis you read about in other places.  However, these custom agents I sometimes wonder how someone hasn't gone off on them yet.  

Where are you big bud? You are so right about the changes after 9/11, both sides, and I’ve had a few problems in the last 20 years, but I also had a couple before also, my points are not the border crossing per se, it is the idiotic behaviour by the in charge that is being slowly peeled away and shown as ludicrous in response to the “plague” and their completely useless endeavour, and now with a variant from India doubled up with one from the UK even the man in the street is wondering wth.

8 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

He actually questioned why we didn't buy one down here in the States.

This is what makes me burn they have no consideration for Canadian

business that are the ones paying their salary from the commerce they create.  

8 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Where are you big bud? You are so right about the changes after 9/11, both sides, and I’ve had a few problems in the last 20 years, but I also had a couple before also, my points are not the border crossing per se, it is the idiotic behaviour by the in charge that is being slowly peeled away and shown as ludicrous in response to the “plague” and their completely useless endeavour, and now with a variant from India doubled up with one from the UK even the man in the street is wondering wth.

North central MT near the Sweetgrass hills.  I don’t know if it’s 100% true but I’ve been told several times some of the 9/11 hijackers came through the Couts/Sweetgrass port and that’s why the US side is so bad about getting through. 

CB98ABA6-31D0-4B31-AA32-59A827897489.jpeg

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

This is what makes me burn they have no consideration for Canadian

business that are the ones paying their salary from the commerce they create.  

No doubt in my mind the local business on the Canadian side took a hit after 9/11.  

Go to BC a few times a year to see my buddy and wife, had a few issues here and there. Mostly stupid questions or need to park go inside kind of stuff. After 9-11 I was crossing into Canada. You would have thought I was a terrorist with the interrogating. Apparently no one gave him the memo the terrorist are trying to kill Americans not Canadians. Crossing south bound I haven't had any issues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My dealings with customs/immigration/border patrol world-wide have mostly been quite easy, but, somewhere in California is a guy with the same name and age with a very bad record. It tripped me up on every US arrival resulting in up to an hour's delay answering questions. The guy has a different birthday, SS#, height and weight and lives on the other side of the country where I've never lived. No matter to a couple of very young kids who must have figured they had a high value collar! Anyway, after putting up with that BS I finally got what's called a redress number. It involved a formal investigation by Homeland Security that says I'm not that criminal or any other criminal. for that matter. That number is on all my airline profiles and problem solved.

Never argue with customs, even if you happen to win the battle the war is lost.

One of our guys stayed on the plane during a customs inspection in Miami. Company policy is the planes will be locked and no non-employee other than contractors will be allowed to be on unaccompanied. The custom officer ordered him off and he politely stated the company policy. Well, that inflamed the little man and he ordered him off under threat. The pilot complied. Some months later while interviewing for a Global Entry card he found the Miami officer had flagged him. As soon as the interviewing officer heard what happened he cleared it, saying that Miami has it's own, unsanctioned rules. That pilot is biracial and I wondered if it was racism or just the usual Miami BS. They are the most difficult to deal with anywhere.

Redress letter.jpg

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

My dealings with customs/immigration/border patrol world-wide have mostly been quite easy, but, somewhere in California is a guy with the same name and age with a very bad record. It tripped me up on every US arrival resulting in up to an hour's delay answering questions. The guy has a different birthday, SS#, height and weight and lives on the other side of the country where I've never lived. No matter to a couple of very young kids who must have figured they had a high value collar! Anyway, after putting up with that BS I finally got what's called a redress number. It involved a formal investigation by Homeland Security that says I'm not that criminal or any other criminal. for that matter. That number is on all my airline profiles and problem solved.

Never argue with customs, even if you happen to win the battle the war is lost.

One of our guys stayed on the plane during a customs inspection in Miami. Company policy is the planes will be locked and no non-employee other than contractors will be allowed to be on unaccompanied. The custom officer ordered him off and he politely stated the company policy. Well, that inflamed the little man and he ordered him off under threat. The pilot complied. Some months later while interviewing for a Global Entry card he found the Miami officer had flagged him. As soon as the interviewing officer heard what happened he cleared it, saying that Miami has it's own, unsanctioned rules. That pilot is biracial and I wondered if it was racism or just the usual Miami BS. They are the most difficult to deal with anywhere.

Redress letter.jpg

I read your post and in huge letters I have to reiterate, DO NOT ARGUE WITH CUSTOMS, it is strictly yes sir no sir, and the odd time how high. We have had nexus for years and one of first with the pace program, even with 9/11 it made our transit easier.

Side note, I’d be curious about the bad guy in California with the same name and his covid vax thoughts? 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, MarkG said:

That is how it was, with COVID-19 several provinces took any peace officer type job and set up border checkpoints and stop all traffic.

"papers please"

and yes....you will be turned around and denied entry if you weren't preapproved for a reason they feel is permitted. 

At least one province is will require ALL visitors to get tested at border checkpoint. 

18 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Ya want another reason for discussion, the ducking idiots have now increased the hotel quarantine fine from 3 grand to 5 grand, and the hotel of (their) choice is on your dime.

more at 11!!!!!!

Check out NB and the Delta. apparently outbreak happened at the PROVINCIAL quarantine hotel! 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

Curious if there is currently a freight problem out of Canada as well. I was in dire need of 6 pallets of parts { some should have been here last month ) and we got a few conflicting stories over the last few weeks. Not sure which to believe but one involved being at customs.

They showed up this afternoon and my butt is dragging now. I think I had 27 different parts orders to fill after receiving the parts.

Drive an 18 wheeler? No problem, drive anywhere you want, drive right through gov checkpoints. Should be zero issues with freight moving. 

• Thanks 2

I’ve had both border guys go the micro style and then a normal style.

Two years ago I bought a cone filter for the bike out of Arizona, it was shipped to a P.O. box in Custer  Wa.

I had it out at the border but there was  no bill as the company’s way was email the bill and ship the product, I didn’t know this so I tell the border guys what I paid, 283.00 US funds, proof? Well not really but I’ve got a mail somewhere on the phone, so next thing I gotta go in and prove it.

I get my turn and the place is bizzy I sort of say look that’s what I paid can’t I just duty up on that and go, he says don’t worry about the crowd, I just gotta know what you paid, so digging deep in old mail I find the original quote, I show the kid and he looks it over and says fine cya later no charge, I gotta say you could see the surprise on my face.

1 hour ago, 495man said:

That is how it was, with COVID-19 several provinces took any peace officer type job and set up border checkpoints and stop all traffic.

"papers please"

and yes....you will be turned around and denied entry if you weren't preapproved for a reason they feel is permitted. 

At least one province is will require ALL visitors to get tested at border checkpoint. 

The new pain in my ass now is the NHL is dealing with the federal government to allow hockey’s elite through the borders for a ducking hockey game, if this happens there better be an uproar from the peanut gallery, I know the government thinks the population just rolls with what they want and just smiles but from I see just here from the Canucks here that’s a big no.

59 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

The new pain in my ass now is the NHL is dealing with the federal government to allow hockey’s elite through the borders for a ducking hockey game, if this happens there better be an uproar from the peanut gallery, I know the government thinks the population just rolls with what they want and just smiles but from I see just here from the Canucks here that’s a big no.

Big women's championship hockey game cancelled here a few weeks ago, was supposed to be people coming from all over the world to play hockey during a time you couldn't go to the neighbor's house to visit without a $2000 fine.  Somehow that was "ok" Finally Gov pulled the plug over public uproar and the hockey people got mad, they are now going to Alberta. I still can't go to neighboring province without 2 week quarantine going in and 2 week coming back. 4 weeks of quarantine basically....IF you get approval to come in! 

1 hour ago, Dasnake said:

1 hour ago, Dasnake said:

...same  protocol's here Jake...the "elite'   be they wealthy or not....and, of course, the wealthy..are given a free pass into NZ.....whilst NZ   passport holders are held at bay , in various parts of the globe...even Australia again......

Mike

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

...same  protocol's here Jake...the "elite'   be they wealthy or not....and, of course, the wealthy..are given a free pass into NZ.....whilst NZ   passport holders are held at bay , in various parts of the globe...even Australia again......

Mike

I know it doesn’t help but as I’ve mentioned before I write letters and make phone calls, at least I can spout.

4 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

I know it doesn’t help but as I’ve mentioned before I write letters and make phone calls, at least I can spout.

..I enjoy  writing letter to the local     paper, also, Jake.....but as we now have "Hate Speech ""...to the fore , planted in our little peasant minds....one has to be careful  not to over step that line.....Obviously the material would not get published..but who knows when we drift back 80 odd years and have   some uniform banging on the door ....as a result of ''telling the truth ''

This in danger of flouting our forum rules.....

Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Side note, I’d be curious about the bad guy in California with the same name and his covid vax thoughts? 

I know what my thoughts about him and covid are and they're not very Christian!

Hopefully he's having his room and board provided by the State of California!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, 495man said:

Big women's championship hockey game cancelled here a few weeks ago, was supposed to be people coming from all over the world to play hockey during a time you couldn't go to the neighbor's house to visit without a $2000 fine.  Somehow that was "ok" Finally Gov pulled the plug over public uproar and the hockey people got mad, they are now going to Alberta. I still can't go to neighboring province without 2 week quarantine going in and 2 week coming back. 4 weeks of quarantine basically....IF you get approval to come in! 

Unbelievable, thanx for the info.

On 6/4/2021 at 8:49 PM, Big Bud guy said:

When I told him there aren't any for sale and Super Bs are mainly Canadian thing,

Did you get nailed for Fed 12% excise tax on the B train?

• Like 1