Dt360 into 1973 highboy

Hey guys I'm new here but I have been doing some research and wondering if ya'll could help me out. I have a 73 highboy I want to put a dt360 in. I go into the mountains a lot and lots of hills out here. How would this motor handle this? I've read some say not well and others say just fine. And if it will handle it this build is going to be to tow. So I want to make enough torque and horsepower to keep up with my father's fumminz build. With that being said  what would be the best trani to run and what mods can be done to this motor? I've heard you can resleeve a dt466 to the internals of a 530 minus the crank of the 530. Is there anything like that for the 360? I've got lots of questions so any help is appreciated!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

How do the dimensions of the Dt360 compare to a 5.9Cummins?  It looks so  similar to a 466 in pictures, I have always wondered how it would fit in place of a 5.9.  A dt466 dwarfs a 5.9cummins.   All things being equal, a dt360 should hang with a 5.9 in terms of performance.  One could argue the Dt is more stout than a 5.9.

I think some came with Bosch ‘A’ pumps - I would think a pump shop could tune one up, or perhaps install one with bigger plungers. Or go the p-pump route - pulling shops will have adapter plates.  I would follow what the 12v Cummins guys do for turbocharging - the motors should have similar requirements.  And I can guarantee the stock turbo in a 360 won’t be up for much over stock power levels and be disappointing.

For transmissions, do what the Fummins guys prefer in terms of automatics (ie anything but a dodge trans).

For manual transmissions, the options are endless and have their pro’s/cons. MDT synchro trans are tough, but spendy if you want an overdrive.  They also don’t seem to shift as nicely as the light duty diesel transmissions.  The light duty trans all seem to be at the edge of holding together behind anything but a stock power diesel.

Is that a divorced NP205 setup?

Frankly I would have to think you are pretty much on your own here. I have never heard of anyone doing a DT360 swap. Everyone only wants to do a Cummins swap. There is a massive aftermarket and community out there for Cummins, but virtually nothing for the DT360.

Yes they're the same cubic inches, but the DT360 is a much heavier engine compared to the 6BT. When we bought the DT360 for the 756 the engine and Allison transmission was all the loader wanted to lift, and it really squatted the back of Dad's 3/4 ton truck.

There were enough DT360's in schoolbuses & mid-range International trucks that there should be 4 or 5 speed manual transmissions that they'll work with with the right SAE bellhousing.  Crossmembers & driveshaft from the transmission to transfer case will just have to be custom.

I'm assuming your Highboy has a low-pinion Dana 44 front axle.  Only thing I can think of is that might not like the weight of the DT360, a Dana 60 front axle might be a better choice.  The power steering system from a Highboy might not like the weight of the DT360 either, they weren't Ford's best power steering system to begin with.

• Like 2

Not to rain on anyones parade, but truck/Ag/industrial 6cyl diesels in light duty trucks can be a step backwards in terms of comfort and drivability.  A friend of mine was considering a Cummins swap into a highboy, and he got a chance to ride in the same truck that already had the swap.

One ride is all it took - the truck vibrated and was quite loud.  He also said if felt a bit imbalanced (front heavy/tail light).  It turned him off the project.

My swap is a 66 F700 cab on a IH chassis with a Dt466 - I must admit some days it feels a bit loud in the cab, vibrates pieces in the cab at idle/etc.  And that’s a 5ton chassis with new cab mounts.  Old cabs just kind of suck in terms of comfort - even when you try to insulate them.   

I feel a 5.9 Cummins is louder and shakes more that a 466 - something about a 466 seems abnormally smooth and relaxed.  Not sure about a Dt360 vs a Cummins.

I've driven a lot of miles in both a DT360 and a Dt466 with 6 speed manual transmissions.  The DT360 might have been a 5 speed.  Anyway,  the 466 is a smoother, more torque than the 360.  The DT360 was a pig.  Both are very heavy motors.  These were all the older non electronic motors.   The Cummins 5.9 first generation, had two of them.  One we  swapped into a 1975 Dodge one ton dually.  Both motors were smooth, but were a little noisy at idle.  Hard to compare a 32,000 GVW straight truck to a 6,000 pound pickup.  I vote for the DT466 if weight, transmission options is not a factor....... otherwise,  the Cummins with transmission options, upgrades, puts it miles ahead of any other motor.  

I like the sound of a diesel and like my 99 7.3 but it is front heavy. Personally in an older truck like that the original  gas fe 360 or better yet 390 would be my go to motors. 

Good luck with your project and share pics if you would. 

image.thumb.jpeg.defbc374492bbdf43e93d92ca545635b.jpegFrom Google, my dad bought one just like it new only the top of the cab was white. He said he gave $5,000 in 1973 for an F-250 4wd with a 360. Closed knuckle front axle, manual steering and no A/C but it did have power brakes. The truck is still in the fence row. 

• Like 1

The earlier High Boy trucks had a divorced NP203 didn’t they?  The later ones had a 205. My 76 had a 205. Not that it matter a whole lot. I’m not sure about the DT360 swap. It doesn’t have near the aftermarket support of the Cummins stuff but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done either. Good luck with your swapping ?

The ‘73 I have is a NP205. I don’t think I have ever seen anything other that that, but I’m far from an expert. There was a highboy Ford for sale on CL here a few years ago that had an Allis diesel in it. Said it was done a long time ago and was put together pretty good. The truck body wasn’t too bad either. I think they wanted $3,500 for it. I would have bought it but didn’t have the $$$ at the time. I didn’t need it, but it looked cool. If only I would have never gotten married…..

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

The earlier High Boy trucks had a divorced NP203 didn’t they?  The later ones had a 205. My 76 had a 205. Not that it matter a whole lot. I’m not sure about the DT360 swap. It doesn’t have near the aftermarket support of the Cummins stuff but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done either. Good luck with your swapping ?

You could get a Highboy with either a divorced NP203 or NP205.  What I generally noticed over the years is that most with the full-time NP203 transfer case were automatic transmission pickups, whereas most with the NP205 transfer case were 4-speed manual transmission pickups.  That even somewhat applied to the F150's of the same era as well.  Granted, there were exceptions to that, but most of the time that held true.  Around my area, most F250 Highboy's were 4-speeds & NP205 transfer cases with lockout hubs.

I was a diehard '73-'79 Ford pickup enthusiast when I was younger, and did all kinds of 'homework' on these pickups.  Still would really like to have a nice Highboy again someday.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 10:31 PM, Sask466 said:

How do the dimensions of the Dt360 compare to a 5.9Cummins?  It looks so  similar to a 466 in pictures, I have always wondered how it would fit in place of a 5.9.  A dt466 dwarfs a 5.9cummins.   All things being equal, a dt360 should hang with a 5.9 in terms of performance.  One could argue the Dt is more stout than a 5.9.

I think some came with Bosch ‘A’ pumps - I would think a pump shop could tune one up, or perhaps install one with bigger plungers. Or go the p-pump route - pulling shops will have adapter plates.  I would follow what the 12v Cummins guys do for turbocharging - the motors should have similar requirements.  And I can guarantee the stock turbo in a 360 won’t be up for much over stock power levels and be disappointing.

For transmissions, do what the Fummins guys prefer in terms of automatics (ie anything but a dodge trans).

For manual transmissions, the options are endless and have their pro’s/cons. MDT synchro trans are tough, but spendy if you want an overdrive.  They also don’t seem to shift as nicely as the light duty diesel transmissions.  The light duty trans all seem to be at the edge of holding together behind anything but a stock power diesel.

Is that a divorced NP205 setup?

Sorry I just now am responding still trying to understand the app, im not tech friendly. The dt360 is nearly the exact size of a Cummins to my knowledge other than weight and an inch or 2 bigger here and there. I belive I do have. The np205 divorced, i know it is divorced just not sure which one it is. Most cane with an A pump from what I read and it is possible to convert to a p pump just expensive.

On 7/23/2021 at 9:39 AM, Matt Kirsch said:

Frankly I would have to think you are pretty much on your own here. I have never heard of anyone doing a DT360 swap. Everyone only wants to do a Cummins swap. There is a massive aftermarket and community out there for Cummins, but virtually nothing for the DT360.

Yes they're the same cubic inches, but the DT360 is a much heavier engine compared to the 6BT. When we bought the DT360 for the 756 the engine and Allison transmission was all the loader wanted to lift, and it really squatted the back of Dad's 3/4 ton truck.

I've heard of a few people doing it but haven't been able to openly talk to them about it. They are about 400lbs heavier than a Cummins I believe

On 7/23/2021 at 9:39 AM, Matt Kirsch said:

I've heard of a few people doing it but haven't been able to openly talk to them about it. They are about 400lbs heavier than a Cummins I believe

On 7/23/2021 at 3:59 PM, Nebraska1206 said:

There were enough DT360's in schoolbuses & mid-range International trucks that there should be 4 or 5 speed manual transmissions that they'll work with with the right SAE bellhousing.  Crossmembers & driveshaft from the transmission to transfer case will just have to be custom.

I'm assuming your Highboy has a low-pinion Dana 44 front axle.  Only thing I can think of is that might not like the weight of the DT360, a Dana 60 front axle might be a better choice.  The power steering system from a Highboy might not like the weight of the DT360 either, they weren't Ford's best power steering system to begin with.

It has the Dana 60 actually, no power steering assist either, I know the previous owner and it wasn't put on for some reasons

On 7/23/2021 at 6:12 PM, Sask466 said:

Not to rain on anyones parade, but truck/Ag/industrial 6cyl diesels in light duty trucks can be a step backwards in terms of comfort and drivability.  A friend of mine was considering a Cummins swap into a highboy, and he got a chance to ride in the same truck that already had the swap.

One ride is all it took - the truck vibrated and was quite loud.  He also said if felt a bit imbalanced (front heavy/tail light).  It turned him off the project.

My swap is a 66 F700 cab on a IH chassis with a Dt466 - I must admit some days it feels a bit loud in the cab, vibrates pieces in the cab at idle/etc.  And that’s a 5ton chassis with new cab mounts.  Old cabs just kind of suck in terms of comfort - even when you try to insulate them.   

I feel a 5.9 Cummins is louder and shakes more that a 466 - something about a 466 seems abnormally smooth and relaxed.  Not sure about a Dt360 vs a Cummins.

My father has a 89 swapped cummins and his doesn't seem to vibrate much, the cabs in my opinion are much better built in the older days though. Good to know about imbalance though. Never thought about that

On 7/23/2021 at 6:59 PM, carmine@1945 said:

I've driven a lot of miles in both a DT360 and a Dt466 with 6 speed manual transmissions.  The DT360 might have been a 5 speed.  Anyway,  the 466 is a smoother, more torque than the 360.  The DT360 was a pig.  Both are very heavy motors.  These were all the older non electronic motors.   The Cummins 5.9 first generation, had two of them.  One we  swapped into a 1975 Dodge one ton dually.  Both motors were smooth, but were a little noisy at idle.  Hard to compare a 32,000 GVW straight truck to a 6,000 pound pickup.  I vote for the DT466 if weight, transmission options is not a factor....... otherwise,  the Cummins with transmission options, upgrades, puts it miles ahead of any other motor.  

I had a lead on a dt466, issue came out as would have to doghouse the cab to allow it to fit because they are so long. If I remember correctly it was 44" from the back of the head to front of water pump. Only issue I find with a dt360 is what trani to run behind it

On 7/25/2021 at 7:00 AM, jeeper61 said:

A Cummins swap will give you better resale since they are the popular swap. 

Won't be being resold as it was just brought back into the family, but I appreciate it

On 7/25/2021 at 8:03 AM, iowaboy1965 said:

I like the sound of a diesel and like my 99 7.3 but it is front heavy. Personally in an older truck like that the original  gas fe 360 or better yet 390 would be my go to motors. 

Good luck with your project and share pics if you would. 

I have a 360, just wanting to get away from gas though. Will post pictures once I have progress 

On 7/26/2021 at 10:33 AM, Sledgehammer said:

I believe mine is the 205, haven't had time to crawl under and find out though. 

On 7/27/2021 at 7:28 AM, Nebraska1206 said:

You could get a Highboy with either a divorced NP203 or NP205.  What I generally noticed over the years is that most with the full-time NP203 transfer case were automatic transmission pickups, whereas most with the NP205 transfer case were 4-speed manual transmission pickups.  That even somewhat applied to the F150's of the same era as well.  Granted, there were exceptions to that, but most of the time that held true.  Around my area, most F250 Highboy's were 4-speeds & NP205 transfer cases with lockout hubs.

I was a diehard '73-'79 Ford pickup enthusiast when I was younger, and did all kinds of 'homework' on these pickups.  Still would really like to have a nice Highboy again someday.

It is a 4 speed manual so I'm hoping it's the 205, I went a little stir crazy once I found out about these trucks and finally found one. Just can't figure out a motor for it

7 hours ago, Mquamm said:

It has the Dana 60 actually, no power steering assist either, I know the previous owner and it wasn't put on for some reasons

Closed knuckle, drum brake Dana 60?  That's what was under the front of the '75 Highboy crewcab I used to have.