Got buzzed by 2 C-17s!

MTO

I heard a horrible roaring one day while servicing a generator in a remote area, ran out to the open front yard to look and saw 2 or 3 jets doing maneuvers. Seemed like hours but was likely only minutes, really quite a show! Bet that was a thrill for you mark! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1466fan said:

You close to ft. Wood?We see them alot around here. 

Nope, Selfridge National Guard base. I have had an A10 go over the farm shed so low at night that I could see the individual lights in his cockpit as he bank into his turn. Talk about cool. 

• Like 1

I have been to the Defenders of Freedom air show at the Offutt Air Force Base in Bellevue Nebraska. They have had multiple aircraft you can get close to and touch including A10s, very impressive airplanes. What really surprised me was the F18s and others that defied gravity, short takeoffs, straight up flights, would hover nose straight up in the air and rotate, then flop over in standard flight position, and zoom off. I had no idea those jets could move that slow and controlled, even looking like they were frozen in the air, then fly away so fast. They could hover, but thier nose would be straight up, in one spot like a helicopter, incredible. 

In the early '80a Air Guard C-130s flying out of Rosecrans in St. Joe seemed to use our house as a landmark while flying low-level - maybe 200' - 300' but seemed like treetop level.  They'd also start a big feeder pig stampede in the brush lot.

I was planting with my open station 766 one day in small field with trees and brush around the edges.  Had my headphones on and the 7 was talking pretty loud.  Had my cap pulled down to shade my eyes when I saw a huge shadow right in front of me.  Looked up and there was a really low 130 going right over me.

Quite startling.

So why are some of the top in charge guys wanting to sh3t can the A-10 and let the F-35 take over?  I think they should be listening to the guys on the ground which love the A-10 a #1 bad ass ground support plane ever made. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

My farm abuts a small private airport,, separated by a river and just enough trees that I can not see it.. In the early 80s a fighter buzzed the airport, wheels extended, upside down and below treetop level. I don't know what model plane. It had twin stabilizers.

12 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

The company I work for is located in an industrial park at the former Quonset Point Naval Air Station.

Now home of Air and Army Guard C-130 and Black Hawk units now.

They have an Air Show every year so we get to see the practice at lunch time the day before.

Here is the Blue Angles from the last show 

IMG_1652 (1).JPG

IMG_1657.JPG

Our place is right next to the former Pease AFB, now Pease Trade Port but still an ANG base. We get C5s, C17s, F16s, etc., plus the Brits stop on their way to the desert with their own tanker, an L1011 type.

Every few years, there's one scheduled this year, we get an airshow and we watch from the house. The low altitude high G full burner turns take place right over the barn! We get the practice show and the show!

The refueling wing now now has brand new KC46s, a 767 derivative and other KC 135s still visit.

The Syracuse ANG, The Boys From Syracuse blazoned on their F16s, used to beat us up regularly but they had a stand down and investigation over sex discrimination or some such and don't come by anymore. Pity as it was quite the show.

I keep my own plane there and there's often something interesting to see when taxiing by.

8 hours ago, 806 man said:

So why are some of the top in charge guys wanting to sh3t can the A-10 and let the F-35 take over?  I think they should be listening to the guys on the ground which love the A-10 a #1 bad ass ground support plane ever made. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Pretty simple really. The size of each branch is controlled by congress. Each aircraft requires a pilot and a ground crew. A multi role aircraft actually allows the AF to have more fighters, bombers and ground support as needed mission by mission. And yea, that does affect aircraft performance. It's been proven that a dedicated aircraft for say ground support is better at ground support than a multi role aircraft. But it requires an air superiority fighter in the air to give it high cover. When the A10 was adopted it was because of a fight between the Army and Air Force. The Air Force was phasing out the A7 and F111 as ground attack aircraft claiming the F15 could fulfill both roles. The Army threw a fit because they knew that the zoomies when engaged by ground fire pored on the coal and flew much faster resulting in poor ground support. Congress told the AF it had to have a good ground support plane and they came up with the A10. Just prior to Desert Storm the Air Force actually started talking to the Army about the possibility of the Army taking over the A10s. The A10 got such good press during Desert Storm that the Air Force decided they would look dumb dumping this wonderful aircraft. Inter-service rivalry at the highest levels exists mostly because of budget dollars. In peace time the brass really fights for budget dollars.

But I regress. It boils down to allowed personnel strength and budget dollar. The AF is trying to balance Ground Support/Attack, Air Superiority, Tactical Bombing, Strategic and MAC (Military Airlift Command) missions. Our politicians would like to use the military as the worlds police force. They don't allow any of the branches the size needed to carry those missions. 63% or so of the active Army is support people. So when you say 100,000 troops you are talking about 38,000 combat troops, not 100,000.

Rick 

5 hours ago, oldtanker said:

But I regress. It boils down to allowed personnel strength and budget dollar. The AF is trying to balance Ground Support/Attack, Air Superiority, Tactical Bombing, Strategic and MAC (Military Airlift Command) missions. Our politicians would like to use the military as the worlds police force. They don't allow any of the branches the size needed to carry those missions. 63% or so of the active Army is support people. So when you say 100,000 troops you are talking about 38,000 combat troops, not 100,000.

Thanks.  To me trying to make a 1 trick pony to do everything doesn't seem like a good idea when peoples lives are at stake.? I'll stick to farming and leave the business of killing people to the smart ones in the military.

Four of these over the weekend.  Even over the sound of whatever I’m driving, I can always here them coming Way off in the distance, and it always makes me push in the clutch and look things over real good (like as if the wheels are coming off the bus!) until I realize what I’m hearing 

58189EE5-0199-48BA-94C7-B603CFC8AC40.png