Td9b is now hard to start

My machine is very hard to start when cold. Takes a long time and much cranking to get fuel through to the injectors. Once started she runs fine from idle to 3/4 max throttle, but starts missing on full throttle. There is a build up of air in the secondary filter. I’ve double checked all fittings and hoses and can’t find the reason for this air buildup. Any tips on what may be the cause of the difficulty in starting. I’ve been told these machines are notoriously difficult to start, but until recently mine hasn’t been too bad?

45 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

What engine is in this?

Pretty simple, you're getting air in the system.

Only advice I can give you is, just because you cranked down on it, does not mean it's not leaking.

Yeah thanks for your help

I have had this symptom on another diesel when the fuel filter had an air leak.   No fuel would leak, but it would suck air.   Replaced the filter and it started fine.   Did this just start after a fuel filter replacement, or work on the fuel lines?   They can suck air w/o ever leaking fuel.

• Like 1

Don't know squat about a TD9B. Have been around a few D 282's. The missing at high idle is advance not working from low transfer pump pressure. Again from lack of fuel. There is probably a restriction in the fuel line. Air leak will probably go away when restriction is removed. If filters don't do it. Investigate shutoff valve at tank next. Probably have to remove from tank and clean crud from inlet.

• Like 1

When checking fuel lines, make sure to check the return, I'm betting it is plugged where it goes into the tank. The housing pressure is getting high enough that it messes with the advance. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

What engine is in this?

Only advice I can give you is, just because you cranked down on it, does not mean it's not leaking.

11 hours ago, hector gemme said:

Did you check your fuel  and air filter condition and he has to run on gas for 5 to 8 minutes on gas for good starting on diesel

11 hours ago, hector gemme said:

Did you check your fuel  and air filter condition and he has to run on gas for 5 to 8 minutes on gas for good starting on diesel

New filters all round.

Diesel engine no gas?

38 minutes ago, Injpumped said:

When checking fuel lines, make sure to check the return, I'm betting it is plugged where it goes into the tank. The housing pressure is getting high enough that it messes with the advance. 

thanks but I’ve checked and it is flowing freely back into the tank

9 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

What engine is in this?

2 hours ago, Injpumped said:

And if it is a D282 it has glow plugs that must be working. Pre cup properly installed etc.

A D282 in decent shape should start pretty easy.

2 hours ago, TickyB said:

thanks but I’ve checked and it is flowing freely back into the tank

right, good flow to the tank, but what about INTO the tank? Many have a return fitting in the bottom of the tank, that gets rusty and catches all sorts of crud. Let the return just run into a small bucket as a test. This has bitten a lot of people on these 282's.