Put eggs in the incubator tonight

36 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

never tried tame duck but I cant stand wild ducks, or doves, way to dark and strong tasting for me I dont even bother hunting them - dont hunt what i dont eat - never could find anyone that wanted them either 

Domestic duck is pretty good, grain fed of course, key is cooking right, the fat all needs to render, or it is just slimy. 

36 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

i loved raising quail, chukar and pheasant - quail are FRAGILE!!!!

I have heard that, I thought about it for a while, decided feeding the local predator population wasn’t for me. 

We have had  19 ducks hatch recently 30 chicks and two batches in the next two weeks of ducks and another batch of chicks 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bitty said:

We have had  19 ducks hatch recently 30 chicks and two batches in the next two weeks of ducks and another batch of chicks 

They ones you sell or eat? You have calls don’t you? 

11 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

They ones you sell or eat? You have calls don’t you? 

Ellie said that she is going to sell some chicks , George will probably try to keep all the ducks to get eggs to sell . Some calls , some mallards, and some peakings 

28 minutes ago, bitty said:

Ellie said that she is going to sell some chicks , George will probably try to keep all the ducks to get eggs to sell . Some calls , some mallards, and some peakings 

I wish them luck with all of that. My egg sales have been poor at best, seems many are disgusted by duck eggs, and i don't have enough time to run around hocking eggs i have. Customer (electrical) who has been talking to a farm to table restaurant in Rutland who is interested in duck eggs. Its not a money maker by any stretch, but it would be nice if the excess could offset feed costs. Got to talk to these folks, if i have to drive 35 miles to deliver 18 dollars worth of duck eggs every week, that math doesn’t add up. I plan to sell or give away all the ducklings because I don’t want anymore Pekins, and my drake is a Pekin. It was a learning activity. Ifn they want to sell eggs you should set them up with some Khaki Campbell’s , Indian Runners or Welsh Harlequins. Please keep us all posted on how things develop. I really enjoy birds, great fun, relatively low maintenance. 

32 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I wish them luck with all of that. My egg sales have been poor at best, seems many are disgusted by duck eggs, and i don't have enough time to run around hocking eggs i have. Customer (electrical) who has been talking to a farm to table restaurant in Rutland who is interested in duck eggs. Its not a money maker by any stretch, but it would be nice if the excess could offset feed costs. Got to talk to these folks, if i have to drive 35 miles to deliver 18 dollars worth of duck eggs every week, that math doesn’t add up. I plan to sell or give away all the ducklings because I don’t want anymore Pekins, and my drake is a Pekin. It was a learning activity. Ifn they want to sell eggs you should set them up with some Khaki Campbell’s , Indian Runners or Welsh Harlequins. Please keep us all posted on how things develop. I really enjoy birds, great fun, relatively low maintenance. 

Oh I know I didn't say anything about them making money ..... or even breaking even. Lol 

These are more their pets than anything else

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bitty said:

Oh I know I didn't say anything about them making money ..... or even breaking even. Lol 

These are more their pets than anything else

Unless you are frank perdue , poultry math rarely adds up

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Unless you are frank perdue , poultry math rarely adds up

I am not Frank. Closest thing to that is I know and live near 4 grandsons of Hatfield meat , but I am not them 

3 minutes ago, bitty said:

I am not Frank. Closest thing to that is I know and live near 4 grandsons of Hatfield meat , but I am not them 

Do you have this where you live? 
serial rapist duck gets put in “jail”? 

9BF69E43-95A7-4F0F-9D70-E1D250456452.jpeg

B612A5FE-7468-4B97-AD36-469EE0F4D719.jpeg

Looks like that Pekin is here to stay.  We had some that lived many years like 7 or 8 even.  They were free range farm pond dwellers.  The water was their safety net.  The long life ones never strayed far from the water. 

They loved cat food and would run the porch cats off the food dish.  Pretty sure the cats could take them but no one realized that.

My wife has good luck with her quail. She raises improved 'Japanese or jumbo brown' quail. They grow crazy fast. The eggs are small and cute.

She had ducks for a while. Something was always eating them... she gave the last one away. 

She had several drakes. They 'gang banged' the hens! Apparently it's normal but my wife didn't like it...

Thx-Ace 

20210604_212500.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, acem said:

She had several drakes. They 'gang banged' the hens! Apparently it's normal but my wife didn't like it...

Recommend minimum is 1 drake to 2-3 hens, Winston here is USUALLY a pretty good fellow, of late he has been vicious with one of my hens in particular, running her down and going after her on dry land again and again, had to intervene, she had all her feathers on her neck torn out and getting bloody spots there too.  Tomorrow he gets his own pen where he can look but not touch… seems counter intuitive, but seems the recommended procedure. For tonight he is a living room duck. 

30 minutes ago, acem said:

My wife has good luck with her quail. She raises improved 'Japanese or jumbo brown' quail. They grow crazy fast. The eggs are small and cute.

Those are adorable eggs apparently people go wild for quail eggs, do you eat them? 

Oh yeah we eat them.

My wife made deviled quail eggs ONCE. They were great but too much work. They make a cute sunny side up egg!

Thx-Ace 

I've eaten quail eggs but don't recall ever eating a duck egg. Do they taste much different?

On the other hand I've eaten my share of duck! Yummy when cooked right.

20 minutes ago, New Englander said:

I've eaten quail eggs but don't recall ever eating a duck egg. Do they taste much different?

On the other hand I've eaten my share of duck! Yummy when cooked right.

Duck eggs have a super thick shell, they are mostly yolk and the yolk is very creamy. They are also half again bigger than a chicken egg.. so they go a long way. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Duck eggs have a super thick shell, they are mostly yolk and the yolk is very creamy. They are also half again bigger than a chicken egg.. so they go a long way. 

Have you gotten a double yolk yet? Now that is one HUGE egg!

19 minutes ago, TomH said:

Have you gotten a double yolk yet? Now that is one HUGE egg!

Sure have!

I do not like duck eggs, they have a different taste and one I do not care for.  Our chickens free range so they are also eating bugs but duck eggs taste a little musty is how I would put it.  They are bigger than most chicken eggs.