Farmall 560 diesel electrical question

Turner03

20 hours ago, Turner03 said:

Glow plug is a little wet. I don’t mean dripping or anything like that. Just a wet sheen maybe. Is this normal or bad?

image.jpg

Ya need to ohm it out, looks mean nothing.

10 minutes ago, Turner03 said:

Can you explain please

Just like a light bulb. It works or it don't. You can use an ohm meter to see if it has continuity or you can hook it across a battery and see if it gets hot. A test light also works. Plus a half dozen other methods.

On 6/4/2021 at 8:39 AM, Injpumped said:

Yes, to some extent. He did say it was used for pulling and was turned up. I've seen so many turn these old N/A Precup engines way too far. That may be why the glow plugs weren't working, because they found it easier to start with small amount of ether, and holding the fuel shut-off out some to cut down on excess fuel drowning it. Ether on indirect injection engines is not a good deal though, unless very experienced with it, it's easy to lock them up. Indirect injection engines typically do need to be glowed every time it's started, just the nature of the design. Lanova cell engines would start better if they had glow plugs too lol! Try cranking it with the shut-off out still and slowly go in until you just start getting smoke. Cranked up injection pumps can easily flood the cylinders. 

Just curious. If the cylinder does indeed flood and I use glow plugs what happens or does not happen?

1 hour ago, Turner03 said:

Just curious. If the cylinder does indeed flood and I use glow plugs what happens or does not happen?

did you see my post on how to check the glow plugs here? you do not even have to remove them from the tractor just unplug and test with a test light 

28 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

did you see my post on how to check the glow plugs here? you do not even have to remove them from the tractor just unplug and test with a test light 

Yes sir I did. I had my buddy ground and check the plugs outside the tractor whilst I pushed the glow plug button. Two out of 6 heated up. He cleaned the connections prior to checking. I’m very uneducated with this type stuff. The question I was wondering about, because I always think the worst is; when I get my brand new plugs in and hook everything up correctly what is the worst case scenario IF like someone said if the fuel is turned up way to much and the cylinder floods. What will happen or not happen with new glow plugs? Thank you.

4 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

Smoke soot and slobber. Slow to get going when it does start. Extreme cases. The fuel will quench the plugs like a hose on hot iron.

Thank you Sir. Hopefully it will just start. I don’t care if it’s Smokey, soot, and slobber. As long as it starts.

2 minutes ago, Turner03 said:

Thank you Sir. Hopefully it will just start. I don’t care if it’s Smokey, soot, and slobber. As long as it starts.

With absolutely no ether, mind you.

once you get all 6 working i doubt it will be that hard to start with good batteries and 30 to 45 seconds of heat in 80 degree temps. 

• Like 1

Just now, searcyfarms said:

once you get all 6 working i doubt it will be that hard to start with good batteries and 30 to 45 seconds of heat in 80 degree temps. 

I just got a 1000 cranking amp optima red top.

15 hours ago, snoshoe said:

Just like a light bulb. It works or it don't. You can use an ohm meter to see if it has continuity or you can hook it across a battery and see if it gets hot. A test light also works. Plus a half dozen other methods.

My preferred method is to use an amp meter, that gives the real picture.

It seems like they are about 8 amps each?

It takes good wiring(2 #10 to feed them)

1 hour ago, kevinj said:

My preferred method is to use an amp meter, that gives the real picture.

It seems like they are about 8 amps each?

It takes good wiring(2 #10 to feed them)

The meter was all over the place on the plugs while inside engine. Cheap meter. So we took them out and put 12 volts and ground each one. Only two lit up red. I’ve got to get a good multimeter.

17 minutes ago, Turner03 said:

The meter was all over the place on the plugs while inside engine. Cheap meter. So we took them out and put 12 volts and ground each one. Only two lit up red. I’ve got to get a good multimeter.

For this work be sure the clamp is both ac & dc

yes it is normal if you cranked the engine over trying to start it before removing the glow plug. the injector has sprayed it already. if you ran it and shut it down and remove it it will be dry. how these 282's start all depends on the condition they are in.   i have 2 560's that have had no engine work done them and that is y easiest starting ones. 3 revolutions max and they are running, pretty much as soon as you press the starter.  plus check that glow plug on a battery, it should turn red in about 3 seconds, and only leave connected that long for checking.

16 minutes ago, rustred said:

yes it is normal if you cranked the engine over trying to start it before removing the glow plug. the injector has sprayed it already. if you ran it and shut it down and remove it it will be dry. how these 282's start all depends on the condition they are in.   i have 2 560's that have had no engine work done them and that is y easiest starting ones. 3 revolutions max and they are running, pretty much as soon as you press the starter.  plus check that glow plug on a battery, it should turn red in about 3 seconds, and only leave connected that long for checking.

Thank you Sir. I’ll give an update when new plugs arrive and are installed. 

It sounds to me like the place you bought it from was possibly making excuses to get you to buy the tractor.  Not totally uncommon for a 560 to smoke a bit on start up under certain conditions. It may or may not be turned up. Never ever use ether and glow plugs at same time. If your gonna use ether don't touch the glow plug button.  Get all 6 working and it will most likely start as Searcy says.

5 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

It sounds to me like the place you bought it from was possibly making excuses to get you to buy the tractor.  Not totally uncommon for a 560 to smoke a bit on start up under certain conditions. It may or may not be turned up. Never ever use ether and glow plugs at same time. If your gonna use ether don't touch the glow plug button.  Get all 6 working and it will most likely start as Searcy says.

I just hope I didn’t get fukked. To be honest I’ve been wanting and chasing a 560d for a very long time. The ones around here belong in junk yards or used as part tractors if not completely rusted out. I know the old saying don’t buy anything without physically looking at it. I took a chance because of the price. Asking 5500 and took 4500. Cost me 1099 exactly to ship it here. It runs, it’s not rusted out. Hopefully this glow plug thing will work out when I get my new ones. Seat assembly needs to be redone along with wiring and some gauges replaced. I did notice the water pump is leaking a little but only when running. A new water pump is 60-100 so not to big of a deal. Tires are all ok and hold air well. Left side rear rim has 1 bad rust crumbly part. 

B2460B65-F41D-4193-A477-BDE9A489F84F.jpeg

7B8D5B58-1097-4860-9044-44230CC9B7D8.jpeg

I'm sure you will get the bugs worked out. Time will tell if it was a good buy or not. Get your glow pugs replaced and go from there chances are it will be ok. 

I have a 560 diesel myself. Bought to experience the steps in technology of the time. For a long time I wanted nothing to do with any 560 but rethought it and bought mine. I kind of like it now. But mine is a bear to start below 60 degrees and below 50 forget about it. Obviously something isn't right, but I did put 6 new glow plugs in it when I got it. Last few days in the upper 80s with 30 seconds of glow plug it will start. Raked some hay with it this afternoon. Dont give up you will get yours where you want it.