Need a mechanic who knows 56-series Farmalls in southeast Michigan

n-heptane

Thank you all very much for your ideas on what I could try checking on my Farmall 656 gas tractor to see why its engine won't sustain firing for more than a couple seconds after start up. With all your good ideas on what to check, I don't see why I couldn't eventually fix the issue without needing to call a mechanic, but seems my work schedule won't let me find the time! Anyway, I've decided it's finally time to call a mechanic. Can anyone recommend a good mechanic or tractor service shop in the southeast Michigan area? Even better, one who knows 56-series Farmalls like my gas 656? Appreciate it.

Use 14 gauge wire and hook to the battery positive post and to the coil positive terminal and it should continue running if the resistor is bad, but remember, the engine will not shut off with the key. Try this and let us know. By the way, I'm in michigan

• Like 2

Thanks again for the ideas.  And I'd try 'em if I could squeeze in more time.  At this point, though, I think I'd just prefer to call a mechanic.  I know some of these checks shouldn't take much time, but (at least for me) I'm having bad luck with these projects taking 5x longer than what I was hoping for.  Yeah, sorry, if I can't get around to trying some of these diagnostics myself in the next week or so, I'll probably just call a mechanic.

I wish you the best of luck, but finding someone today to work on points ignition isn’t exactly easy. Most of the guys today have no idea where to even start if it doesn’t have a computer.....