To many horses

wombwell

My boys sowing pumpkins this morning can't help thinking they are over horsed it's about one horse power per pumkin seed still there sown,fantastic seed dressing no problem finding them when checking seed depth

IMG_0761.JPG

IMG_0765.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Why are the seeds blue?

I suspect they are coated in some sort of insecticide treatment? if not that maybe it’s just to match the tractor to make the tractor happy. Lol

• Haha 5

Commercial planting???  We had one field around here several years ago, 120 acres for canning company. he only did it one year --- didnt pan out in the end-- lost money on the venture.

Blue seed coat new to us this year its a general purpose dressing and matches the tractor 

not a huge acreage 10 at most for pumpkin picking for Halloween which has grown rapidly over here in the last few years an American import we're just working it the general public love it we open for half term and get around 8-9000 visitors kids get to run around the field climb on straw bales mum and dad drink  coffee have a snack and enjoy very relaxed what's left over we feed to the bulls a natural wormer so we're told 

• Like 2

Over 80% of all canning pumpkins grown in America are grown in the three county area I live in.  It’s big business and fun to watch.  They start planting in mid May.  Harvest will start the end of August.  

8 minutes ago, billonthefarm said:

Over 80% of all canning pumpkins grown in America are grown in the three county area I live in.  It’s big business and fun to watch.  They start planting in mid May.  Harvest will start the end of August.  

Canning pumpkins? Not something we have in the UK 

What is plant spacing goal?  Are all 6 rows putting seed in the ground?  What do you do for weed control?

9 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

What is plant spacing goal?  Are all 6 rows putting seed in the ground?  What do you do for weed control?

Hi the row spacing is 1.5 meters or 5 foot approx seed spacing is0.5 meters or 20inches so every other row was planting weed control is difficult a pre emergence of kerb 400 and later if we still have weed problems inter row cultivating once they are away the growth is so fast the vines cover the ground and stifles any weeds we irrigate and apply last N start of flowering 

are you thinking of growing some 

12 hours ago, wombwell said:

Hi the row spacing is 1.5 meters or 5 foot approx seed spacing is0.5 meters or 20inches so every other row was planting weed control is difficult a pre emergence of kerb 400 and later if we still have weed problems inter row cultivating once they are away the growth is so fast the vines cover the ground and stifles any weeds we irrigate and apply last N start of flowering 

are you thinking of growing some 

Grew just 4 acres for a farm stand for about 10 years.  Gave it up when we moved.  2 seasons back was my last.  We would go 8ft rows 4ft in the row.  Weed control was always a challenge.  We tried to grow about evert kind imaginable.  The more variety the better at the stand.

Do you think we're planting to close it's been very must trial and error with us...we are growing several varieties to give variation in size and shape ..with some more flavoursome squashes Honey Bear,Crown Prince,Spaghetti Squash and some Turks Turban.If you have any advice we'd love to hear 

4 hours ago, wombwell said:

Do you think we're planting to close it's been very must trial and error with us...we are growing several varieties to give variation in size and shape ..with some more flavoursome squashes Honey Bear,Crown Prince,Spaghetti Squash and some Turks Turban.If you have any advice we'd love to hear 

Not really qualified to give advice half way around the world.  We would plant based off maturity so now would be about the time we would be getting it done.  Targeted spacing on the larger varieties was 8ft between rows 4 ft in the row.  Things like wing gourds and Jack be littles would go 7x3 or so.  If you were my neighbor I would say your spacing is a little tight but like I said half way across the world who knows.  What works for one person doesn't work for another.  Everyone farms their own way a little different from each other. 

Some growers here will roll down a cover crop flat and plant into it.  This gives the pumpkins a nice place to lay out of the mud.  We typically cultivated until vine out and not being able to get through.  Then it was on to powdery mildew control starting August 1.