Farmall M Intermittent Squeal at Front of Engine

When we went to start up the M this spring it had a new noise. 

Nothing when you first start it, but when it warms up after ten minutes or so it starts to whine/squeal. If you throttle back and let the tractor idle you can hear it slow down (so seems to me it's coming from something rotating) and then go away all together. 

To my ear, it's louder on the carb side of the engine and is loudest at the top front area. I gave the water pump some grease. The fan belt and the smaller belt to the generator are tight and in good shape. Rebuilt the generator last year and it's not more than warm to the touch after the tractor has been running. 

Other than towing some gravity wagons around the tractor doesn't see any work, just riding around the property. No sign of this noise in the fall when it was put away for the winter. 

I'm looking for ideas! Video attached picks up some wind noise from the fan but you can still hear the whine pretty clearly. 

Water pump bearing starting to go bad ? 

have you pushed around with a stick on stuff like sheet metal and radiator shroud etc.

almost sounds like a sheet metal squeak or wind noise like a car window down just a little

• Like 1

I’ve had belts make that noise before. Try spraying a little WD40 on one belt at a time while it’s running and see if the noise stops. 

• Like 1

I like the trying it with belts off idea. Although I’d probably shoot something at them to try lubing them first, too see if something  changes.  I’ve used wd40 too, but, soapy water should work and be better in general. 

• Like 1

You said you gave it some grease. Top zerk is the bearings and the bottom is the impeller shaft. Are the zerks clean and grease flowed in ok? The top one could take a few pumps but do not force it in, when it doesn't want anymore stop. The bottom just one pump should be adequate. Just thought it sounded like the bearings are dry.

On 5/30/2021 at 8:19 PM, stronger800 said:

I like the trying it with belts off idea. Although I’d probably shoot something at them to try lubing them first, too see if something  changes.  I’ve used wd40 too, but, soapy water should work and be better in general. 

I've read just rubbing a bar of soap against the friction surfaces of the belts, getting it on as much of the belt as possible will quiet a belt.

Nobody probably has belt dressing,  brand name "PUL-MORE" anymore, it both quieted noisey belts and stopping slippage.  But that probably died with traveling threshing machines, steam engines, and threshing crews.

The noise almost sounded like vibrating sheet metal to me.  M's vibrated stuff when just idling, hood, grill, drawbar pins in the horseshoe drawbar,  Put them under load and they quiet right down.

You never hear an H make that kind of noise, they don't have enough "UMPH",  bet an 8,9,2N doesn't either.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Nobody probably has belt dressing,

Bought a stick a few years ago, napa also has it in a spray, entertaining to shoot wasps down with it, takes them out of the air, they try to get a leg up and finally manage, only to have to put it down to free another.

I agree with the vacuum leak, give a sniff of C+C around the manifold if dressing the belts affects no change 

I have gotten some spray on belt dressing once in the last 20 years 

On 6/1/2021 at 7:52 AM, bitty said:

you will want to buy more once you try it on a wasp nest

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

you will want to buy more once you try it on a wasp nest

I probably won't want to use it on the ones that are in the church around the stained glass windows would I ? Asking for a friend

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bitty said:

I probably won't want to use it on the ones that are in the church around the stained glass windows would I ? Asking for a friend

unless you are a very good shot i would try brake clean or this powder stuff i got, ill have to look to tell you what it was, i used it for carpenter bees, kind of pricey but seems to have worked and keeps working for months. they (wasps) like to nest in the sliding door track of the generator building at one of the places we work... miserable things, they will spoil your day if you don't get them first. 

On 6/4/2021 at 11:56 AM, vtfireman85 said:

unless you are a very good shot i would try brake clean or this powder stuff i got, ill have to look to tell you what it was, i used it for carpenter bees, kind of pricey but seems to have worked and keeps working for months. they (wasps) like to nest in the sliding door track of the generator building at one of the places we work... miserable things, they will spoil your day if you don't get them first. 

I believe we once saw photos. If you ask me it looked like you were talking when you shoulda been listening, but you maintained it was a sting!

• Haha 3

Still making noise with belts lubed up, took hood off and I’m pretty confident it’s coming from manifold. Any tips for locating the leak ? 

On 6/6/2021 at 6:00 PM, IHRedRyan said:

Still making noise with belts lubed up, took hood off and I’m pretty confident it’s coming from manifold. Any tips for locating the leak ? 

Unlit propane torch. Run is around the intake manifold. Engine will rev up when you find the leak.

• Like 1