Does John Deere have the right?????????

3 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I would guess there is quite a squeeze on PT sprayer makers...............Guys who used to use bigger ones went to SP's........................Plenty of used ones for the smaller guys now and can be repaired/rebuilt.  

If I had a dollar for every new pull type sprayer my JD dealer sold the last 10 years I’d have nothing.  Long as you don’t beat the crap out of them, pull types go forever.

17 minutes ago, dale560 said:

As far as summer sprayers. They were one of the best pull type high wheel sprayer. That being said the company is almost shuttered. The main plant in small town of maddock Nd . Was shuttered and sold to a cenex to use as a warehouse. The plant in devils lake looks to be very minimum capacity. Their product line was phenomenal 20 years ago. Now everybody wants other items besides short lines. Lots of it around here the John Deere dealers seemed to be summers dealers also now they push their own brand and just handle parts.

We had a Summers pull type sprayer for year.  It was great and replaced a god awful POS Flexi coil 65xl.  Reason we had it for one year is because we went no-till.  We traded it and a JD 8400 for a self propelled sprayer.  

3 hours ago, 766 Man said:

JD can't simply forbid anybody from doing anything.  There has to be a patent involved otherwise anybody can make that plate.  Also, patents do not run forever.  

Correct, patents do not run forever.  That is why you see “Patent Pending” so frequently.  While the uniqueness of a possible patent is being investigated the patent applicant is given the same protection that would be afforded to a patent that has been granted.

My old boss used to sell a lot of Summers equipment; PTSprayers and SuperCoulters were some of our biggest short line sellers 10-15 years ago. Guess I didn’t realize Summers was having serious $$$ problems but it wouldn’t surprise me. Just like Morris Industries(Morris chisel plows among several other products they offered) being in poor financial shape. 
You guys are right, though, in that nobody wants a new PT sprayer anymore. Seems like even the smaller guys around here would rather have an older SP sprayer than a newer PT sprayer. We probably haven’t sold a new PT sprayer in several years, but we probably average selling one new CaseIH SP sprayer per month anymore; and most of the time the trade-in is sold before it shows up on our dealer’s lot. 
Does Geringhoff still offer green snouts on their corn heads for Deere customers? How about the green stripe on the end shield of a MacDon that signifies that the header was built for a Deere combine?  Last I knew more than one grain cart company would build either a red or green version of their grain carts for either red/green customers. 

Interesting copyright story:The Fate-Root-Heath company in Plymouth, Ohio built Plymouth locomotives for industrial and mining uses.  During the depression, they diversified by building a Plymouth tractor.  Of course, Chrysler Corp. took exception to this and the dispute ended up in court.  At the trial, F-R-H produced blueprints for the one Plymouth automobile they  built in the teens, which preceeded Chrysler's Plymouth by 10 years.

Chrysler then purchased the name from F-R-H and the tractors became the Silver King.

• Like 2

JD isn't the only one and it's nothing new. Cat yellow is copyrighted, as is Massey red & silver. As far as I know, IH's shade of red was protected too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SDman said:

My old boss used to sell a lot of Summers equipment; PTSprayers and SuperCoulters were some of our biggest short line sellers 10-15 years ago. Guess I didn’t realize Summers was having serious $$$ problems but it wouldn’t surprise me. Just like Morris Industries(Morris chisel plows among several other products they offered) being in poor financial shape. 
You guys are right, though, in that nobody wants a new PT sprayer anymore. Seems like even the smaller guys around here would rather have an older SP sprayer than a newer PT sprayer. We probably haven’t sold a new PT sprayer in several years, but we probably average selling one new CaseIH SP sprayer per month anymore; and most of the time the trade-in is sold before it shows up on our dealer’s lot. 
Does Geringhoff still offer green snouts on their corn heads for Deere customers? How about the green stripe on the end shield of a MacDon that signifies that the header was built for a Deere combine?  Last I knew more than one grain cart company would build either a red or green version of their grain carts for either red/green customers. 

The founder of company passed a while ago. Harley Summers I think was his name. They built a factory originally in Maddock ND then expanded 40 miles away with bigger building in Devils Lake Nd. The company was left to his kids and employee owner group. About 10 or 12 years ago I think it was a high up in charge relative was killed in car accident in devils lake. The company has slowly floundered since then. They have a place in South Dakota by Aberdeen for parts and some assembly of sub units.

Diller manure tankers are painted green with a yellow stripe lengthwise down the side.

5 minutes ago, dale560 said:They have a place in South Dakota by Aberdeen for parts and some assembly of sub units.

Kamen Equipment, south of Aberdeen about 10-15 miles. They run a farming operation as well as a short-line dealership business there. Right along Hwy 281. That’s where we used to get most of our PT sprayers and other Summers equipment from. They bought some 9280s from us back in my early years at the dealership...otherwise everything else there is John Deere green. 

Two opposite stories of copyright/trademark come to mind. 
first law mowers called Steiner was sued by Steiger based of name and articulated tractor. Not sure if it was pre-cnh but I think it was mid nineties. Lawnmower company went to court and won, similar to above mentioned Plymouth/silver king deal, they predated Steiger by 10 years or so. 
Other big one is Purina checkerboard logo. Originally one company split in 1950s I believe. At the time of split was original family owned they wanted both companies to survive, just knew it had gotten too big for them to manage. In 2001 Nestle bought they pet care part. They threw every lawyer they could at the checkerboard logo and could not stop the livestock part from using it. When I say every lawyer the could, look at how big Nestlé is, the largest food manufacturer in the world. I’s dotted and t’s crossed in the 1950s ! Today that logo is used by Nestlé as well as land o’lakes

When you think about it, a company that steals everyone else's ideas is one of the first to sue when someone even come close to resembling them lol! No one else see the irony in this lol!

• Like 6

22 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Correct, patents do not run forever.  That is why you see “Patent Pending” so frequently.  While the uniqueness of a possible patent is being investigated the patent applicant is given the same protection that would be afforded to a patent that has been granted.

Trademarks do last

On 5/30/2021 at 3:21 PM, ksfarmdude said:

That kinda reminds me of john deere forbidding other equipment manufactures from using the hydraulic tip holders where you slide the tips in a slotted plate for storage, They are great for holding hoses secure I have actually bought afew from deere myself and installed them on other makes of equipment myself

I can't say for sure, because it's been several years since I got rid of it, but I'm pretty sure my 800 Cyclo had a plate like that

Our Pequea hay tedder is green with yellow wheels. On one hand I can understand questioning how someone can claim to own a color scheme, but on the other hand I have a hard time believing that the small companies are painting their equipment the same colors as a coincidence. 

56 minutes ago, 1066 Peterbilt said:

Was Oliver not green with yellow wheels?  Yes I see the point but disagree with rights on different shades.

Oliver never had yellow wheels that I'm aware of.  They were red for a while then they were white towards the end. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 1066 Peterbilt said:

Was Oliver not green with yellow wheels?  

No.  They were green with red wheels until the late 50s then went to white rims.  The grill was yellow for awhile.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Oliver never had yellow wheels that I'm aware of.  They were red for a while then they were white towards the end. 

I just remember one similar to this as a kid. Yes  normally  red wheels, then white. No Oliver expert here. I do remember the ones at the dealer with green paint and White decals on them.  Those are probably very rare.

2A68NDD.jpg

Even the Frontier brand of equipment owned and sold by Deere and sold through their dealer network has a combo of a slightly darker, non-JD green paint and silver wheels.  No yellow paint or decals can be found anywhere on Frontier products.

Mother Deere even went so far as to issue cease and desist orders to a few aftermarket equipment manufacturers who were offering JD green paint as an option on their equipment.

One of the more bizarre cases of a color trademark that I've seen was the one from the Monster power drink company against the Monster rechargeable light company. Monster drink claimed their green/black color scheme had been duplicated by the Monster light company. I'm pretty sure no one would dispute that it was, but how much did the sales of the lights hurt the drink business???????? More like free advertising, if anything. To me it would be like JD suing a company that made green and yellow fish tanks.

• Like 1