2504 hydraulics brainstorm

Apparently , as S.S. and others have suggested, I have a hyd. suction leak  in the case pick up tube.  I hate to admit this but I am temped to tap a 3/4 line into the filter cover, through an inline filter, with magnet, and into the case drain.   Comments please.

2 hours ago, mmi said:

could be the $50 square pump tube seal....

MMI, It howls loud and is a little short on flow. I can not run the 110 hyd. drive mower fast enough to get out of 1st. gear.  I have not taken the pump out, only the filter on the other side where things look good. Where would I order that square seal?        Thanks for the reply, Doug

I had to go look this up as I had completely forgotten. Have you eliminated the jumper tube and seal yet? That's the most likely culpret. Second is the gasket on the cover you want to drill and tap. Your mod will do nothing to correct either. Your mod will only bypass one steel tube and one oring. Not even then if original inlet in filter housing is not plugged. Then 3/4" is to small for 17 gal suction. Remember you only have atmospheric pressure to push oil through that line. The inline filter is totally unecessary as you are not bypassing original filter.

I imagine you're trying to avoid splitting tractor. If it proves to be the pickup tube or the oring. I urge you to do so rather than a potential more troublesome external mod.

You do not have a pto. There should be a cover where one would be. Should be able to service tube there. Leaving only oring that requires split.

5 hours ago, snoshoe said:

I had to go look this up as I had completely forgotten. Have you eliminated the jumper tube and seal yet? That's the most likely culpret. Second is the gasket on the cover you want to drill and tap. Your mod will do nothing to correct either. Your mod will only bypass one steel tube and one oring. Not even then if original inlet in filter housing is not plugged. Then 3/4" is to small for 17 gal suction. Remember you only have atmospheric pressure to push oil through that line. The inline filter is totally unecessary as you are not bypassing original filter.

I imagine you're trying to avoid splitting tractor. If it proves to be the pickup tube or the oring. I urge you to do so rather than a potential more troublesome external mod.

You do not have a pto. There should be a cover where one would be. Should be able to service tube there. Leaving only oring that requires split.

S.S., you are reading my mind quite well.  And you have answered a few questions. The tractor is in camp 250 mi. from home and shop. I did not know that I could get to the tube that far back. I will have to drain, pull the pump and if I find nothing remove rear cover. The other thing to do is over fill but then everything leaks. I also thought about discarding the filter and cover and replacing it with a flat plate with steel tube going in O ring to pump like filter did. That would need the in line filter and 1" hose. That's kind of bulky and ugly. I can just see Me hitting a rock and breaking the elbow off the bottom.  Thank You, Doug

These tractors are not hard to split---- they are not heavy and dont have that many bolts holding them together. I am currently working on a 504 and thinking about taking the mid section from a 2504 to replace my damaged housing.

I took my engine out to rebuild it and its almost ready to go back in.

To just split in half it would be a piece of cake. I had to go a bit further on mine.

2504 and 504 are the same basic  tractor.

DSCN0223.jpg

DSCN0234.jpg

DSCN0235.jpg