Auction report 5-29

DT Fan

Went to a weld-shop auction yesterday. There was an 806 and a Black Stripe 1566 on the bill. I was rather excited when I saw the 15, would like to add one to the fleet. Two weeks ago I talked to the owner and made the trip to check it out/drive it. Well, that left me a lot less impressed. I have enough projects around already. Anyway, the 15 brought $11,000. The 806 had some issues. T/A out, clutch week, smoked a lot, seemed like only hitting 5 cylinders. Think it brought $3600, wasn't paying real close attention. There was also a small anvil, made it over $300, seemed like a lot for a generic anvil to me.

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Went to a weld-shop auction yesterday. There was an 806 and a Black Stripe 1566 on the bill. I was rather excited when I saw the 15, would like to add one to the fleet. Two weeks ago I talked to the owner and made the trip to check it out/drive it. Well, that left me a lot less impressed. I have enough projects around already. Anyway, the 15 brought $11,000. The 806 had some issues. T/A out, clutch week, smoked a lot, seemed like only hitting 5 cylinders. Think it brought $3600, wasn't paying real close attention. There was also a small anvil, made it over $300, seemed like a lot for a generic anvil to me.

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

But...but the 806 has got good paint.  In all seriousness if you had to pay someone to clean and paint plus the value of salvage you probably would wind up around 3,000 dollars  The tires look pretty good as well.  The value is there but not in the way you want it for a worker.  To me stupid is paying almost 500 dollars for a M that was locked up tight, no coolant in the radiator for quite some time, random holes in the oil pan, bad rear tires and rims, poor paint, etc at auction.  The sheet metal was poor as well.  Overall I would have rated it a 2-2.5 out of 10 with 10 being excellent condition.  I had an interest in it if it had gone around 300 dollars.  

The 806 did have good rubber and didn't look bad, though it did seem to be fading. 15 had new rubber all around. Owner said he put it on and went around the section once, I believe that.

Pretty sure the uncle was disappointed I lost interest in that 15. He tries hard to help me spend money. Always tell him in instances like this, money is still there, need to find the right machine!

11 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

The 806 did have good rubber and didn't look bad, though it did seem to be fading. 15 had new rubber all around. Owner said he put it on and went around the section once, I believe that.

Pretty sure the uncle was disappointed I lost interest in that 15. He tries hard to help me spend money. Always tell him in instances like this, money is still there, need to find the right machine!

What was the issues with the 15? Sure looks straight. 

The front-end was pretty loose, range shifter needed a major overhaul, three-point needed some work. Had the usual oil leaks, other minor stuff, cab parts missing, etc. It was represented as a two owner less that 3000 hour tractor. Don't know how you wear things out that much that fast. Someone may have gotten a jem,  I'll keep looking.

Been down the rebuilding the front-end road on my 1066. Wasn't cheap and that 15 is going to need more parts than the 10 did.

You never know, may find something I like even better! I passed on an open station 15 last fall, if the owner would have done a better job when he painted it I'd probably own it. Looked pretty good from 50 feet.

I went to a sale yesterday that had a 560 on it. Wasn’t really interested in the tractor, then watched the owner dump about half a can of ether into to trying to get it started. Auctioneer moved on to the next tractor and a couple of use helped him look at the tractor, fuel tank was bone dry, what an idiot..... Anyhow it brought 1,500, with a fast hitch missing the bottom arms. I’m glad I passed, I have an H and M that I struggle to find jobs for, I didn’t need to add another tractor to that list, especially one that has had the engine abused.

• Like 1