Hay variety options

I just took on a place that hasn't been farmed in 25 years it's got quite a bit of brome in it and some other prairie grasses. I want to lightly disk it to level it out and harrow it flat and plant. It's highland loam sand so shallow roots like ryegrass and timothy burn up after mid June. I have a few customers who want pure grass so clover and alfalfa are out. Anyone have good luck with a 50-50 brome orchard grass on dry ground? Or any other grasses on sandy soil? Thanks

What is wrong with the grass growing now? Lots of time if a stand lasts long it is growing something that works well there . Possible to clean up any broadleaf weeds with spray? 

• Like 1

Where are you located?  Any seed dealers that can help you with what works for others in your area?  Without asking I think my seed guy would say here it is best to fall plant it and take out that stand completely before you do.

58 minutes ago, bitty said:

What is wrong with the grass growing now? Lots of time if a stand lasts long it is growing something that works well there . Possible to clean up any broadleaf weeds with spray? 

The problem is it's pretty thin and needs all the gopher holes eradicated

51 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Where are you located?  Any seed dealers that can help you with what works for others in your area?  Without asking I think my seed guy would say here it is best to fall plant it and take out that stand completely before you do.

And plant with? I am only going to have to till to eradicate 20+ years of gopher mounds

If the field is rough I would till too.  Plant with a good drill with tight spacing.  If soil is loose roll the ground after planting with a cultipacker or culimulcher to get good seed to soil contaxt.  I ask where you are only because depending on your climate it may be tough to get a stand established in the death of summer.  At $100 an acre grass seed is spendy.  Soil tests?  Do you know where ph, n, p, k are at?

54 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

If the field is rough I would till too.  Plant with a good drill with tight spacing.  If soil is loose roll the ground after planting with a cultipacker or culimulcher to get good seed to soil contaxt.  I ask where you are only because depending on your climate it may be tough to get a stand established in the death of summer.  At $100 an acre grass seed is spendy.  Soil tests?  Do you know where ph, n, p, k are at?

Soil testing and lime are going to be the second thing I do after I work up the ground. I'm in central MN. I am thinking about blending some orchard and brome grass together and planting with some oats and making some oat hay on it while the grasses establish

1 minute ago, Youngred2000 said:

Soil testing and lime are going to be the second thing I do after I work up the ground. I'm in central MN. I am thinking about blending some orchard and brome grass together and planting with some oats and making some oat hay on it while the grasses establish

Best to soil test before working the ground so you can add lime and fertilizer before tillage, especially the lime 

• Like 1