766 with 360D oil cooler wanted-mission impossible!

Changed my coolant filter on my 766 with D360 engine the other day and the top of the filter was black with engine oil.  Upon opening radiator cap, I found that was black oil coated too.  Its not grey, so I know I didn't run it long luckily but upon talking with my mechanic friend, he said I need a new oil cooler as it must be leaking oil into the coolant.  I've checked everywhere I can think of and can not find a new or reman one (735259C91).  Best option at this point is to take it off and have it rebuilt by Hy Capacity 4-8 weeks.  I did see engine oil coolers for 360 truck engines available...anyone know if one of those would work or if they are (likely) different (part number 1810216C2)?  Anyone have one by chance that would fit the tractor?  I really don't want a used one as they are all over 40 years old and will be needing repair sooner than later.  They do seem more available for the 400 series engines, although they were much more common than the 300 series. 

Thanks!

Being black not grey. I would think problem is more likely a head gasket. Compression to water leak any way. Pressure testing removed cooler is not hard. Make two flat plates to bolt over oil ports. Drill and tap one for air coupler. Put in five gallon bucket of water with air applied. Water ports up. No bubbles. No leak. Would certainly do that before putting on another cooler and still having same problem.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2021 at 4:15 PM, snoshoe said:

Being black not grey. I would think problem is more likely a head gasket. Compression to water leak any way. Pressure testing removed cooler is not hard. Make two flat plates to bolt over oil ports. Drill and tap one for air coupler. Put in five gallon bucket of water with air applied. Water ports up. No bubbles. No leak. Would certainly do that before putting on another cooler and still having same problem.

not always that easy worked in a shop customer brought in tractor same deal pulled cooler off tested good so did head gasket.  couple weeks later tractor came back oil in water what the heck so did the head gasket again thinking maybe the guy didn't do it right couple weeks later came back again ok test cooler tested fine again then some one came up with the idea use hot water or heated up the cooler can't member but the hot air or water was enough to open a crack in the cooler......needless to say it was a cooler the whole time this was at a red dealer and an experienced mechanic

38 minutes ago, turbo10 said:

not always that easy worked in a shop customer brought in tractor same deal pulled cooler off tested good so did head gasket.  couple weeks later tractor came back oil in water what the heck so did the head gasket again thinking maybe the guy didn't do it right couple weeks later came back again ok test cooler tested fine again then some one came up with the idea use hot water or heated up the cooler can't member but the hot air or water was enough to open a crack in the cooler......needless to say it was a cooler the whole time this was at a red dealer and an experienced mechanic

X2. Sometimes heat makes a diffference. Years ago I had a guy with an 886 German diesel. Complaint was losing anti freeze. Nothing in the oil. I had the pan off and pressurized the cooling system and never a leak. Pulled off the valve cover and saw nothing there either. Just for the heck of it I plugged the block heater in and found a small crack on top of the head near the rocker arm stands. Replaced the head and no issues after that. 

Must have been a small enough leak it never showed in the oil. 

Agree with others on testing it hot, would also mention that you can go the tractor puller route and make plates to drill and tap then run a hose between them until you can get yours repaired. 

I have a couple new ones sitting on the self but I think there for a 400 series motor and I’m sure they are longer , if you can get me the measurements from center to center for the bolts holding it to the block . If you have no choice but to fix it you can put the style ones we have on out big pulling tractors and I have an extra one of those I could lone you or you can just make one to , it’s just two flat plates that bolt to the block and round pipe , not a big deal to make it . Send me a pm if you want and I will try and help you .

‘Danny 

If the truck one has the coolant filter as part of the cooler, the frame is in the way of the filter. I don’t remember if it is just a little or a bunch. Hope this helps.