I was gonna do this on Memorial Day, but decided to start early in case any of you wanted to share some of these.

The last three pictures were taken on Betio (Tarawa).  The rest were taken on Peleliu.

Other than losing my dad and assorted older family members, I've never had a really bad day in my life.

• Thanks 9

Thank you Steve.

It is hard to fathom what these boys saw, felt and experienced on their way to becoming men.

And may God keep and hold those that did not make it home.

• Like 7

Thank you, the pictures speak volumes about the waste of war. I've got other thoughts but it's late and the weekend just started.

• Like 1

The horrible things some people went through just makes me angry seeing the entitled society full of idiots that we have now.

Not sure if I ever shared this on here but my Grandfather on my moms side went through some terrible times during WW2 and after.   He volunteered as a paratrooper.....which takes a special kind of bravery itself.  Was dropped into Sicily and later France.  Never told one story about it other than appreciate having food and having somewhere you know is "safe".  He never wasted food a day in his life. 

His brother Fred was KIA in France in 1944, and is buried there.  His brother Russell was badly wounded and never right again and died soon after coming home in 1946.   

His brother Alex was killed in a logging accident at home in 1939 before the war.  

His mother died in 1924 giving birth to the youngest brother Francis, being only 3 yrs old at the time that would have been devastating.  Francis was actually adopted by another local family  as my great grandfather couldnt handle all the kids and a newborn. 

Then to top it all off his dad was killed in an automobile accident in 1948.  

I just cant imagine what it would be like going through the depression, the war, losing 3 siblings, and your parents all before the age of 30 would be like.  The amount of sacrifice and suffering that family went through is what memorial day is about for me.  Im sure theres many other stories like mine as well.  

My grandfather was still a great man after that, he never gave up, lost his faith and raised a wonderful family.  I miss him dearly as someone to look up to. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I have wondered more than once over the last year and a half or so what many of those who fought and endured or even died in ww2 or even ww1 would think or say about our current state of affairs. I have to think many of them would not be happy and would have a lot to say? 

I dont know the details but recall talk of my grandfather's half brother being on a ship in ww1 and dying years later from injuries sustained while serving. He passed before my grand parents were married.

• Like 4

• Like 5

My wife's grand dad was on Iwo, said when they landed the blood was running into the water like a river,

My grand dad made it to holland  with the 82nd AB came home with a bullet in the back of his head and one near his spine they left them there till he passed at 92 hardest man I ever knew but soft as a babys but when he needed to be

They was lucky to make it home and let us know it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I have wondered more than once over the last year and a half or so what many of those who fought and endured or even died in ww2 or even ww1 would think or say about our current state of affairs. I have to think many of them would not be happy and would have a lot to say? 

I dont know the details but recall talk of my grandfather's half brother being on a ship in ww1 and dying years later from injuries sustained while serving. He passed before my grand parents were married.

They where and will always be the gratest generation 

• Like 4

This the one day of the year that an Honorably Retired Military Service Member can legally wear their old uniform in public.

I discovered I still fit in my CPO uniform, been retired for 38 years now, the gold stripes are about gone and my  trousers shrunk!

Happy Memorial Day, EVERYONE!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Whenever I have a hard day I sometimes think of my grandparents to try and gain some perspective. My fathers dad born in 1919, I sometimes don’t know how he did it. Surviving the dust bowl and the depression of the 1930s only to be drafted and fight in WW2. I heard many stories of the summers of 1934 and 1936, but not one story of his time in the army air corps. His own father died of tuberculosis while he was in England as an army air corps mechanic. He was not able to attend the funeral, something he regretted his entire life. The sacrifices of the people who fought the revolution, the civil war, and all wars in between then and now are lost on many people today. There is not a holiday in America that has not been bastardized by the main stream culture. From Memorial Day to Christmas, many people will do anything to avoid talking about the reason we have the holiday in the first place. It is a crime. 

• Like 7

I can't add any words so again I will thank the family members who served. This history cannot be taught enough to our future generations.

Thank you Grand Dad.  The Great War,  Meuse–Argonne offensive. 1st Lieutenant artillery. " I went six weeks without a bath."

Thank you Dad.  WW2 The mighty Eighth. Mechanic, mainly for B17's and P47's

Thank you Uncle Charlie. 10th mountain division Northern Italy. Purple Heart. Saw a lot of stuff he didn't talk much about.

Thank you Bob my Stepfather. 100 years young. Served on a mine sweeper in the Bering Sea. Mentioned that the weather was so bad  and the sea so rough some thought combat would be an improvement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, oleman said:

This the one day of the year that an Honorably Retired Military Service Member can legally wear their old uniform in public.

I discovered I still fit in my CPO uniform, been retired for 38 years now, the gold stripes are about gone and my  trousers shrunk!

Happy Memorial Day, EVERYONE!

Thank you for your service brother!!

• Like 3

A lot of the older guys in the area were assigned to the 164 infantry of the ND national gaurd. That unit was first regular army unit to offensively fight the enemy in world war 2. They were assigned to reinforce marine units. Their combat skills and determination were praised by the marines. Hard to believe a bunch of young kids would be so battle hardened and ferocious in such a short time. In reading articles about the unit they were slated to be a spearhead in the invasion of Japan when it was to happen. Pictures drawn by one of the last men surviving and a little article about them. 

3437D3DD-2DD7-46FB-8F5D-8F6A595AF54E.png

BA26A054-2CE8-4A1F-89C2-5FFFE9C1B50D.png

0570F216-C1D4-426D-AA72-385AB5BA1AF3.png

38BEE766-B337-4432-8C19-3FD4D80BBE36.png

9553F67C-FB0B-479B-8468-3DF228D972DC.png

2CA435F2-E4E6-4FF7-9762-FD97E301E403.png

• Like 4

Thank you guys for all the stories.  E.B. Sledge wrote a great book called "With the Old Breed - at Peleliu and Okinawa".

HBO did a good show called The Pacific, mostly based on Sledge's book.

This minute and a half scene touches on what it was like after getting back home:

• Like 2

God bless all you guys who sacrificed so that we would have it easy.  I  salute you Dad, Uncle Al, Uncle Al on Mom's side.  I only served in peacetime,  my oldest son son CJ is leaving for the Marines in December.  He feels it's his duty to serve a few years and hopefully come back.  He still believes in America.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

You are all my HEROS, Alive and Gone, with the utmost honor and respect no matter who/how/where you serve or have served, my words could never be worthy. 

• Like 3

Thank you to all our veterans, past and present. Without you we couldn't do what we do today. Dad and 5 of his 6 brothers served when called. 4 during WW2, and 2 during Korea. Thanks to all who served.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Let us not forget.  This is the grave of my Grandfather,  Robert Wade. WWII veteran and farmer.   I live on his farm, in his house. Only because he fought and preserved the way of live we enjoy here in America. I included a video of his flag as well. The last photo is  the grave of my great grandparents,  who also worked the farm and lived in the home where I now reside. 

20210528_184858.jpg

20210528_184951.jpg

20210528_184815.jpg

• Like 6

Two of my mom's brothers served in WWII.  One "flew the ball" on a B-17.  Lied to my grandma the whole time claiming to be a gunnery instructor in Colorado so she wouldnt worry about him.  The other, crazy uncle Junior, served in the Army in the Pacific.  Never talked much about his experiences until much later in his life.  I realized then that the "crazy" was his way of coping with the demons that still haunted him.  Both are gone now, may God hold them close.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just today I finished reading “The Storm on Our Shores”. About the battle on Attu island in the Aleutians.  I had never heard about it. A waste of a lot of lives for a nothing island. 
Normally on Memorial Day I reread some of Stephen Ambose’s D-Day, just to get my head in the right place. 

899E8821-5219-4E51-B32E-BB1A9B064D6E.jpeg

• Like 1

Friends

Not all the wounded died in battle. Many came home and died from the battles later, not all wounds are physical. They still died from the wounds suffered serving their country.

Recent numbers are 22 Veterans die from suicide each day. Please add them to your remembrance and prayers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

Friends

Not all the wounded died in battle. Many came home and died from the battles later, not all wounds are physical. They still died from the wounds suffered serving their country.

Recent numbers are 22 Veterans die from suicide each day. Please add them to your remembrance and prayers

One of the biggest atrocities of war. 

Talking to my oldest son's GF this weekend. She has a cousin who did three tours. 

Out of 40 people he considered himself close friends with, 23 have gotten lost in a very bad place and ended their own lives after returning home. 

This should be on the front of every newspaper, newscast and lead off every legislative session until the number is zero. 

Yes, today is the day to remember and honor the fallen. 

When the parades and speeches are done. Let us remember those who have served, everyday, and maybe be on the lookout for warning signs. 

We owe them at least that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1