Jump to content

Bought a new to me 1929 Buick 44 Roadster


bigequip
 Share

Recommended Posts

ed miller has rights to many repop tractor tires,but would expect coker to have a better volume/product for highway

was this purchase from a folded museum?

considering donating 2-3K items to a worthy one, but they all seem to be folding,broken and or mismanaged.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mmi said:

ed miller has rights to many repop tractor tires,but would expect coker to have a better volume/product for highway

was this purchase from a folded museum?

considering donating 2-3K items to a worthy one, but they all seem to be folding,broken and or mismanaged.

I ordered tires & tubes 4 from M.E. Miller Tire in Ohio.  They were $200 per tire cheaper than Coker Tire.

A private party owned this car and had it at his business in the showroom.  I bought it from Bring A Trailer on their auction site.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, mmi said:

ed miller has rights to many repop tractor tires,but would expect coker to have a better volume/product for highway

was this purchase from a folded museum?

considering donating 2-3K items to a worthy one, but they all seem to be folding,broken and or mismanaged.

Donate on conditions.

I've done that. I actually didn't donate. I gave in permanent loan so if something went wrong with the museum, I'd get it back. Didn't take but a few years and their landlord booted them. It's now at my house again.

If I had as much as you do, I'd not only give on permanent loan for the reasons above, but I'd be a board member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

boards/agendas  get changed and When I ,cant vote,whom would see it done right.have turned down a few BC we currently dont have the $$$$$$, the others get from business /write offs, blow $20K of co $ and 3-4 emploies on a weekend ,makes the votes look blue.

if not for govt $$$$$$$$ theft/destruction would have stocked and endowed our own.

the taking back would be included ,but that requires pre back end funding transport and warehouse.

grandchildren beg but 29-3/4 days a month too busy being millennials.no focus or commitment, basically expect $85> hr for 10 min of POOR work,sad part is they are the adults to 30-50 yr olds .employers... right or wrong treat them as replaceable in 5 min.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Driving it to AZ is just a great idea.  Pleaaase make a daily picture journal for us working stiffs.  MDiesel did that with a 70 loadstar from Vegas to Missouri.  I read that ost 2 3x it was so fun to see his triald and tribs

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

Driving it to AZ is just a great idea.  Pleaaase make a daily picture journal for us working stiffs.  MDiesel did that with a 70 loadstar from Vegas to Missouri.  I read that ost 2 3x it was so fun to see his triald and tribs

If I do drive it, I will make a daily post of my travels with pictures.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bigequip said:

If I do drive it, I will make a daily post of my travels with pictures.

Dare I ask....bigequip....if you embark on a trip of this distance......with the ninety  year old Buick.....Do you have an    "escort " vehicle  ???..I realise    that it more or less, doubles the cost  of the trip......It could be a real fun trip.....(unless you choose to drive East / West across Kansas.....:) )...but I guess there is always a chance of a mechanical issue ??

Look forward to your pics....should you drive ......To me, that beautiful old car is so darn  precious..................

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, acem said:

I live near i40 in Western Arkansas if I need a place to stay or repairs. Thx-Ace 

It does not look like I will be driving it out West.  Their is no top on the car, the clutch is at the end of adjustment and the weather is unpredictable.  It is going to ride in an enclosed trailer with a car hauler I have found.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, bigequip said:

It does not look like I will be driving it out West.  Their is no top on the car, the clutch is at the end of adjustment and the weather is unpredictable.  It is going to ride in an enclosed trailer with a car hauler I have found.

Nevertheless, it should be a fun trip even if you are hauling it in a trailer.  We look forward to the photo documentary.

I bought a nearly 20-year old car off eBay a few years ago.  It was located in San Diego and drove it back to PA.  I still had some anxiety about it when the key was turned and I pointed it eastbound.  The trip went perfectly fine.

I frequently watch the offerings on B-A-T, long to win a bid, and do what you are doing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

Nevertheless, it should be a fun trip even if you are hauling it in a trailer.  We look forward to the photo documentary.

I bought a nearly 20-year old car off eBay a few years ago.  It was located in San Diego and drove it back to PA.  I still had some anxiety about it when the key was turned and I pointed it eastbound.  The trip went perfectly fine.

I frequently watch the offerings on B-A-T, long to win a bid, and do what you are doing.

I would of loved to drive it across the USA from Bristol, CT but weather, clutch at end of life (A shop back there wanted $5000 to change it out),  and 30 year old tires kind of put the whoa to the trip.  I found tires in Ohio $225 each plus tubes $50, but they are 700 miles from the car and I didn't want to risk a flat tire with 2 bad spares.  The tires on the car are hard to find at a reasonable price.  I was going to drive MTOs scenic route 6 across PA which is very sparse for service if I had a problem.  Them beautiful backroads can have their downfall (No cell service & road service).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very cool! You don't see many of those Buicks.

Not nearly as nice, but my wife just bought her family's 29 A Tudor. Plain Jane of course. Her grandfather and uncle bought it in the late 50s for $50, $25 dollars each, lol. About the same time frame to get it running (It's been in the same garage for 25 years). But it's going to take my 56 S160's spot in the shed, so I've got to build more roof now. hopefully get it home this weekend.

Amodel4.jpg

Amodel5.jpg

Amodel6.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Very nice!  What size are the tires?  I should try to find a new set for my 1929 Chevrolet. 

 

Edited by ihrondiesel
Added video
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Very nice!  What size are the tires?  I should try to find a new set for my 1929 Chevrolet. 

 

All original... don't see that very often! I always marvel at the unrestored cars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2021 at 11:04 AM, yellowrosefarm said:

Road trips with antique cars are always full of surprises.

Vise grip garage 56 Buick 1200 mile trip

On the flip side, 99% of the time it's an easy fix. There have been a few times I had to take one of my "old" vehicles because the new ones all had something wrong. I had the clutch linkage come apart on my 66 F100 one time in rush hour traffic. Turned it off, put it in gear and started it in gear so I could make it to the shoulder. Fished around the truck and found a package of finish nails and then crawled under the truck, put it back together with the finish nails and made it home. Too many times I've been stranded in a new car due to a failed sensor of one type or another. AC is nice though. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/1/2021 at 12:41 PM, EquipmentJunkie said:

Nevertheless, it should be a fun trip even if you are hauling it in a trailer.  We look forward to the photo documentary.

I bought a nearly 20-year old car off eBay a few years ago.  It was located in San Diego and drove it back to PA.  I still had some anxiety about it when the key was turned and I pointed it eastbound.  The trip went perfectly fine.

I frequently watch the offerings on B-A-T, long to win a bid, and do what you are doing.

I am not hauling the car in my trailer.  I have hired an enclosed car hauler to deliver it on the  19th. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, bigequip said:

I am not hauling the car in my trailer.  I have hired an enclosed car hauler to deliver it on the  19th. 

Sorry, I misunderstood.  The car hauler method has plenty of benefits.  To quote Tom Petty, "The waiting is the hardest part."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, EquipmentJunkie said:

Sorry, I misunderstood.  The car hauler method has plenty of benefits.  To quote Tom Petty, "The waiting is the hardest part."

I am just waiting now but I did get the car insured and today I am sending in the registration which will take 30 days to complete.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2021 at 1:34 PM, rcb said:

All original... don't see that very often! I always marvel at the unrestored cars.

I bought my tires from M. E. Miller Tire, Wauson, Ohio (ask for Ed) 419-335-7010 because he was $200 per tire cheaper than Coker Tire.  He shipped 4 of 6.50-20  today and I should get them next Wednesday or Thursday.   I have to wait 30 days for tubes so for now I will driving on tires that were installed on the car in 1931.  90 year old tires that look new but may pop at anytime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

Very cool car indeed. A great find

You should start getting extended warranty calls any day now ?

I hope so as I have gotten them every week  and I tell them I don't have a car because I like walking......   Now I can give them the serial number of the Buick and let them put me in the warranty program.   I'll have to tell them that I will need the warranty emailed to me weekly to keep me up to date on the recalls!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, bigequip said:

I hope so as I have gotten them every week  and I tell them I don't have a car because I like walking......   Now I can give hem the serial number of the Buick and let them put me in the warranty program.   I'll have to tell them that I will need the warranty emailed to me weekly to keep me up to date on the recalls!

..guess you have left it a bit late to call   David Dunbar   Buick ..in person......That gentleman sure left a fabulous legacy........

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...