Bought a new to me 1929 Buick 44 Roadster

bigequip

I was looking for another car for local transportation and errands.  Only 90k on the speedo and its 82 years old.  It has been sitting in a showroom for the past 30 years but was ran every week.  I have to replace the leather seats and install the new top that came with it.  Should be on the road in about a month.  It has 4 new tires on it that are 30 years old, but I found 4 current tires for it at a dealer in the Midwest.  The car has absolutely NO rust on body!

1616446759322b6a48a1731DSC_0120-2-scaled.jpg

1616445089a48a173184ce9870fbDSC_0925-scaled.jpg

1616447772ce9870fb4DSC_0070-scaled.jpg

1616447218b6a48a173184ce98DSC_0126-scaled.jpg

• Like 25

Twin sidemounts, rumble seat, you say replace the seats, are they severe or can they be conditioned, is that a tool holder or a battery box on the passenger side, a little TLC and she’s a great looker.

is the paint and chrome original? The Buick motor was a flat 6 then wasn’t it, great get, enjoy.

maybe not a flatly, ohv I6?

The seats are original leather and age has ruined them.  On the passenger side is the Golf clubs door.  Paint is 30 yrs old and the chrome is original. 

I am eventually going to re-chrome the windshield frame.  The engine is original and is an overhead 6 cylinder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Wow! That thing is amazing! My grandfather was a Buick man, born in 22’ he'd be 100 next January. He would have loved this! Always a GMC truck for work (sometimes a jeep truck  back in the day) and a Buick, as dad used to put it “the funeral car”. Enjoy and please keep is updated! What were the circumstances of it coming up for sale? 

5 hours ago, bigequip said:

re-chrome the windshield frame

Sweet ride! Would it have been chrome or nickle plated?

• Like 1

Maybe it is nickel plated as I won't be able to tell until it gets here in a week or two.  It has surface rust on windshield frame and he thought I might be able to clean it up.

3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Wow! That thing is amazing! My grandfather was a Buick man, born in 22’ he'd be 100 next January. He would have loved this! Always a GMC truck for work (sometimes a jeep truck  back in the day) and a Buick, as dad used to put it “the funeral car”. Enjoy and please keep is updated! What were the circumstances of it coming up for sale? 

It was on an Auction, "Bring a Trailer".   

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Nice find

Looks like it had company old timer selling off the collection? 

The car has had only 3 previous owners.  The last 2 owners kept the car about 30 years each.  It came with all the paperwork from the original purchaser thru the 3rd owner.   I am the 4th owner.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

fun, enjoy the buick.............i had a lot of fun in mine going fast, it had the 455 so a totally diff generation 

The top speed on this 1929 was listed at 90 mph.  I only want to go 60 mph, Maybe 50 mph cuz I am getting old.

• Like 3

Nice!

Leno did a episode on his YouTube channel on a 20s Buick.  Explaining how high calibur they were.  The Clubs door was a serious selling point to the aristocrats of the day.  Wood rims?  "Park in a creek for 15 to 20 minute 3 to 4 times a year to help the wood remain tight", from owners manual.  I bet its nickle.  Iirc chrome didnt come till late 30s..??

Looks so fun!  3sp?  Its a straigh 6 correct or is she the straight 8? 

• Like 1

Nice.  We were a Buick family too. Our very first car was a Buick.  Great grandpa bought it new in 1921 the year he got married which was no coincidence.  He built a special shed for it and every winter he would block it up and use horses to get around.  Keep in mind back in those years in MT, there was no county roads all over just trails.  He still hauled grain with horses and his first tractor was still 8 years away.  I think the car only got used on Sunday for church during the summer and special occasions.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

Nice!

Leno did a episode on his YouTube channel on a 20s Buick.  Explaining how high calibur they were.  The Clubs door was a serious selling point to the aristocrats of the day.  Wood rims?  "Park in a creek for 15 to 20 minute 3 to 4 times a year to help the wood remain tight", from owners manual.  I bet its nickle.  Iirc chrome didnt come till late 30s..??

Looks so fun!  3sp?  Its a straigh 6 correct or is she the straight 8? 

It's a 6 cylinder.

• Like 1

That is one beautiful old vehicle......

Fortunately some folk had the foresight  to put these examples of yesteryears  vehicles in storage...

Picture is also of an OHV Buick ......and a sad example of what we did ...as young boys...to these old cars.... Had a lot of fun...but when I think back...what a bloody waste

Mike

post-157-1162625658  Les H...2.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mike newman said:

That is one beautiful old vehicle......

Fortunately some folk had the foresight  to put these examples of yesteryears  vehicles in storage...

Picture is also of an OHV Buick ......and a sad example of what we did ...as young boys...to these old cars.... Had a lot of fun...but when I think back...what a bloody waste

Mike

post-157-1162625658  Les H...2.jpg

Gee mike you never mentioned you knew Jed and Granny, Ellie Mae wuz a kutie.

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

Gee mike you never mentioned you knew Jed and Granny, Ellie Mae wuz a kutie.

Jake,.....we knew them all...but never intimately.....:)

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, MTO said:

Just plain SWEET!

I might drive the 1929 Buick back to Arizona from Bristol, CT.  It is only 2600 miles and I probably could make it in 5 days.  At 15 mpg it would cost $520. in gas. 

What would be the best route at 60 mph?  Mapquest shows going across I-80 thru PA to Ohio 10-12 hrs driving?

In Ohio I am getting 4 new tires mounted at Miller Tire, 17386 State Highway 2, Wauseon OH 43567 (they are the cheapest for tires).

Then I will drive to Indianapolis, St Louis, Tulsa and down to I-40.

Anyone live close to this route?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bigequip said:

I was looking for another car for local transportation and errands.  Only 90k on the speedo and its 82 years old.  It has been sitting in a showroom for the past 30 years but was ran every week.  I have to replace the leather seats and install the new top that came with it.  Should be on the road in about a month.  It has 4 new tires on it that are 30 years old, but I found 4 current tires for it at a dealer in the Midwest.  The car has absolutely NO rust on body!

1616446759322b6a48a1731DSC_0120-2-scaled.jpg

1616445089a48a173184ce9870fbDSC_0925-scaled.jpg

1616447772ce9870fb4DSC_0070-scaled.jpg

1616447218b6a48a173184ce98DSC_0126-scaled.jpg

Really a great looking car! When I was a kid in the late 50's, neighbors had a 1920's Buick a four door I think. Never saw it go any where, don't know what ever happened to  it. My math says 92 years old for your Buick.

DWF

10 minutes ago, MTO said:

Sneak across PA on Rt 6 then grab 80w. 6 is 2 lane and BEAUTIFUL!

That route on  6 looks good.  I have to go to Wauseon OH 43567 to get the tires.