interchangeable engines?

I am wondering if a person can mount a 400 engine on an M? What are the differences, things to check, things that need to be swapped, what parts off what engines, etc... thanks for any info you can give. I obtained an Farmall M and looking at a Farmall 400 that was redone and tossed about in Hurricane Laura. I was wondering if I could take the two and make one?

Fairly easy swap. 

It will work but still won't gain you much on a plain M since no live hydraulic and pto 

I was told by an IH salesman that the only difference between them is the tin. ---- parts should interchange.

2 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

It will work but still won't gain you much on a plain M since no live hydraulic and pto 

Should easily have the live hydraulic on the 400 engine by adding the plumbing etc

3 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

The live hydraulic pump is mounted on the engine so that can, and should, be brought over from the 400 to the M. From there all you really need is a tank, a valve stack, and some hoses to have live hydraulics on the M. Some people use the belly pump as the reservoir but it's only 6 quarts. 

No, you don't get live PTO, but if the 400 rear end is pooched, and the M's engine is pooched, this is a good way to get a good running tractor out of two junkers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Governor control arm is different.

Yes I forgot that but with a few new gaskets it can be swapped. When I have swapped out that arm I use whichever governor is in better shape and the arm I need for the application

• Like 1

If the M was made in the later half of 1950 the ignition drive housing will bolt the same place the hydraulic pump is on the 400. Unless running a hydraulic pump on engine.  If not and you have a M with a ignition drive housing that has a different bolt pattern than a 400.  Use one from a late M or a SM without engine pump. Will have 6 numbers on housing and end with R1 and fit a 400.  Unless the M has a belly pump that housing cast number ends in EE you use the M flywheel and clutch.  If a real late M you can use the 400 flywheel and a SM clutch. SM 12 inch clutch won't clear the ED down suffix on belly pump castings. As mentioned the governor throttle arm needs swapped with a M on or complete M governor used. Not always but sometimes the 2 head studs on a 400 not long enough to get a full nut when M throttle bracket is mounted. 400 head  doesn't have a opening in rear for the ventilation pipe to air cleaner intake.  Use a PVC hose from valve cover to air cleaner.  Fitting in valve cover has a metered hole. Sometimes a M has the metered hole screwed in air cleaner. Only use one metered hole. Don't know what kind of charging system you will use. Early 400 was set up like the M. Later a different generator bracket bolted to head and the top brace and coolant neck were changed a little. Nothing that causes much of a problem.  Using the 400 carburetor the M choke rod needs bent to go to other side. 

3 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

When I read this I thought he meant 400 SERIES engine in a M - and I was thinking WHOAAH!

It was my first thought also

How bad off is the 400? I like em both but a 400 would be nicer to operate than an m. Tho marginally so, would still be my preference over and m. I know fix em both! ?

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 3:28 PM, Jeff-C-IL said:

When I read this I thought he meant 400 SERIES engine in a M - and I was thinking WHOAAH!

That’s a little more work, but it can be done!